08 Mountaineer AWD V6 I want to use RWD only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Mountaineer AWD V6 I want to use RWD only

jmhill5290

Reaction score
City, State
Annville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 08 Mountaineer AWD V6 I want to use RWD only! Is this possible? I already disconnected front drive shaft and it will not send any power to the rear! I saw a guy do it on YouTube on a 04 Mountaineer and it sent power to the rear no problems but mine is not! I've replaced a lot of the front end suspension and I'm totally broke and a diy guy... Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search for threads on the "brown wire mod" . This might give you an answer. The brown wire mod can be done on 3rd gen Explorers and Mountaineers but I am not sure about 4th gens.

Search for threads on the "brown wire mod" . This might give you an answer. The brown wire mod can be done on 3rd gen Explorers and Mountaineers but I am not sure about 4th gens.

From what I gathered the brown wire mod doesn't work on 06-10 Mountaineers bc they're AWD not 4auto. Mine doesn't have a 4wd selector button.

It would be easier to just swap the AWD t/case with a 4WD t/case. AWD has a clutch assembly inside that allows for power transfer between axles.

tcws4.jpg

It would be easier to just swap the AWD t/case with a 4WD t/case. AWD has a clutch assembly inside that allows for power transfer between axles.

View attachment 448889
Mines an 2008 Mountaineer V6... So I would *ONLY* need to swap my AWD tcase with a 4th Explorer A4auto tcase??? I've read every thread/post/comment I found on here about the differences between the V6/V8 Mountaineer and the Explorer's! Nothing else needs to be changed at all? No computer programming or needing to add @4auto/4hi/4lo buttons like Explorer's have already? Your 100% sure? Im ready to just find a 4th Explorer and put all my new parts from my Mounty on that! I just replaced my entire front end and rack & pinion within the last month bc of bad parts now my tcase if screwed! Also thanks for any tips/advice!

Easiest would be to find a manual shift t/case, swapping an auto shift t/case would require all the wiring, modules, and switches necessary.

I would look for a Ranger with the 5-speed automatic transmission with a manual t/case.

Mines an 2008 Mountaineer V6... So I would *ONLY* need to swap my AWD tcase with a 4th Explorer A4auto tcase??? I've read every thread/post/comment I found on here about the differences between the V6/V8 Mountaineer and the Explorer's! Nothing else needs to be changed at all? No computer programming or needing to add @4auto/4hi/4lo buttons like Explorer's have already? Your 100% sure? Im ready to just find a 4th Explorer and put all my new parts from my Mounty on that! I just replaced my entire front end and rack & pinion within the last month bc of bad parts now my tcase if screwed! Also thanks for any tips/advice!
I don't think swapping an AWD transfer case with a 4WD case will function properly without doing a lot of other work. IMO, you would be spending way more money doing this than getting a salvage yard transfer case. There is only one mpg difference between AWD and 2WD 4.0L 4th gen Mountaineers. Even if you are able to convert yours to 2WD it won't improve your mpg much because the front drive shafts and differential will still be spinning and robbing power. What gives the one mpg improvement is that ALL the front wheel drive components are removed. You will still have the bulk of them in place. Why do you want 2WD so badly?

I don't think swapping an AWD transfer case with a 4WD case will function properly without doing a lot of other work. IMO, you would be spending way more money doing this than getting a salvage yard transfer case. There is only one mpg difference between AWD and 2WD 4.0L 4th gen Mountaineers. Even if you are able to convert yours to 2WD it won't improve your mpg much because the front drive shafts and differential will still be spinning and robbing power. What gives the one mpg improvement is that ALL the front wheel drive components are removed. You will still have the bulk of them in place. Why do you want 2WD so badly?
I just don't have the money to replace the tcase right now! I can't even drive it is the reason! I'd rather just make it RWD and return the new front cv axles I just order and save some money! This has nothing to do with mpg. I do not care about gas mileage I just want to be able to drive it!

I just don't have the money to replace the tcase right now! I can't even drive it is the reason! I'd rather just make it RWD and return the new front cv axles I just order and save some money! This has nothing to do with mpg. I do not care about gas mileage I just want to be able to drive it!
You might want to see if parts( driveshaft etc.) from a 2WD model can allow you to delete the transfer case and connect the transmission to the rear differential. IMO, this would be the simplest and cheapest way to convert to 2WD. Find a 2WD donor and see what the differences are between it an an AWD vehicle. It might be as simple as removing the transfer cast and installing the 2WD drive shaft.

If the output shaft is identical on the 2wd and 4wd, you could change the extension housing and driveshaft. I don't have that answer.

Back