4x4 vs AWD and Explorer vs Mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 vs AWD and Explorer vs Mountaineer

its 40/60 08 and up....

all the message center does, it lock it. where as it will not unlock when turning and you get bind up.

i would check 07 and down but im too lazy too actually load the wsm for it.

I really only care about the 2008 anyway.
But in case you missed it in my text.

Mounty V6 is 40/60 AWD
Mounty V8 is On-Demand AWD or On-Demand 4x4 just the same as the Explorers.
There is no lock on the V6 AWD version. If you look in the manual under V6 it will tell you that there is no lock and everything is automatic (because it is mechanical).

This is straight from Ford who I would believe know their vehicles pretty well.
Even though they are pretty free with when to use the AWD designation.
As Thebrakeman says, there is no AWD police that will penalize them. They just confused us a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the last time, all 3 t cases in an ex 4th gen, be it awd, awd with 4h or 4x4 auto, high and low, the explorer is a 40/60 split.

when the on demand hits, its 40 / 60

when you put the truck into 4x4 hi its 40/60 split,

when you put the truck into low, its 40/60 with high torque.

to be signed as a 4x4 or a awd does not mean all wheels are equal 50/50 split ever.

most awd cars are setup exactly like this, only thing that gets really split 50/50 were the old school 4x4 jeeps, some awd cars even them have a variation since the drive train itself will eat, and it will always be easier to power the straight power then diverted.

what does that mean, the shaft to the rear wheels will always spin, and get more power, if it was an fwd awd car like an edge, the power split would be fwd bias.

before the power lose to the rear through that t case.

We agree with you on the locking mechanism. If you manaually lock the V8 Mounty (or Explorer), you can bind on dry pavement.
But I think the only thing stuck in 40/60 mode (or 35/65, whatever it is) is the V6 Mounty.
The V8 Mounty (in auto mode) and an Explorer (if in 4x4hi auto mode) can have as much as 100% of torque going to either axle.

If you have a link to something that says the Gen 4 V8 Mounty can NOT have 100% torque to either axle, please provide a link to the actual article.

Thanks!

thebrakeman have it right.

The V6 Mounty is stuck with the mechanical AWD system.
The V8 Mounty and the Explorers have the electronic TOD system.
Based on the patent on file covering this system, it has approx. 5/95 split until slippage is detected. That is why it is important that the system can detect it and react in something like 1/3 of a wheel rotation.
It is also part of the reason that the gas milage is actually better on the V8 AWD version the V6 AWD for the Mountaineers. The mechanical AWD on the V6 is less energy efficient. The other reason of cause is the difference between the 5 and 6 speed transmission.

I agree that any information that can be posted to back up either theory is welcome.
My interpretation is that the information posted so far from Ford and GM is telling a different story than the fixed 40/60 split under all circumstances.

I did send an email to Ford - however I am not sure if I really expect an answer from them. Usually random emails like that rarely gets answered. If it does I will post the answers here. I see now purpose of posting until new documentation is brought. I hope that readers will read the links and make up their own minds.

I have an 08 Mountaineer V6 AWD and want to just send power to the rear bc I'm getting binding I think. I took out my front driveshaft and it sends (tries to) 100% power to the front and won't allow it to move. Can I do something to make power only go to the rear?

Back