1,100 Miles and MyFord Touch Already Dead | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1,100 Miles and MyFord Touch Already Dead

Just Picked up my car from the dealer. They replaced the sync module. Actually they replaced the mft screen as well. Came as a unit. Works perfectly now. Hope it lasts. K-Rod. Did you dealer figure it out yet. Tell him to order the new module. It will fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got word that the dealer is replacing the APIM (which is what I thought they would have to do). Part came in today, so perhaps on Monday I'll be able to pick it up.

Will report back on what happens.

You know what nolefan, I believe we are talking about the same thing, just referring to it differently. I think the "sync computer/unit/module" is technically the "APIM."

Hello,

Just got it back today, and it's working fine as far as I can tell. Haven't had a lot of time to mess with it yet. When I went to pick it up I noticed that the screen would move when I pressed on the top of it, so they had to take it back in and make sure it was in there tight.

So, only time will tell if it dies again, but for now I'm hoping they just had a bad batch of APIMs.

Please keep us posted, I am having a few buggy issues here and there with the sync mainly with the phones but I am hoping it is not a long term issue

I suffered the APIM issue. My wife wanted to drive the 2011 Explorer, Took it to work got in it to go home and the MS SYNC 8" Myford Mytouch (whatever) Maintenance Screen stayed on with little to no progress. I told her to bring the Explorer straight to the dealership!! Not even a week and My XLT is in the shop. This is sad. Its been in there since last Friday and they say it will take a week to fix. Went to get my sunglasses out of the car and there was a big gaping hole in the dash. So sad.. :( Do you think i could squeeze sd card embedded navigation out of them or HD Radio maybe put the Sony head unit in there? Doubtful but one can dream can't he?

PS I forgot to mention that there wasn't even 400 miles on the Truck yet. :O oy!!

I took mine to the dealer Monday. They diagnosed a dead unit and are replacing it entirely. They were aware of APIM issues, and are now aware of the sync module replacement solution that someone posted as well.

Haven't received my vehicle back yet, but wanted to let everyone know the results of my dealer's analysis of my dead unit.

I suffered the APIM issue. My wife wanted to drive the 2011 Explorer, Took it to work got in it to go home and the MS SYNC 8" Myford Mytouch (whatever) Maintenance Screen stayed on with little to no progress. I told her to bring the Explorer straight to the dealership!! Not even a week and My XLT is in the shop. This is sad. Its been in there since last Friday and they say it will take a week to fix. Went to get my sunglasses out of the car and there was a big gaping hole in the dash. So sad.. :( Do you think i could squeeze sd card embedded navigation out of them or HD Radio maybe put the Sony head unit in there? Doubtful but one can dream can't he?

PS I forgot to mention that there wasn't even 400 miles on the Truck yet. :O oy!!

I tried to squeeze the SD card navigation out of them but they won't do it. I had way more problems which included door lock problems and internal mechanism problems with the door.... Highly unsatisfied with what's going on with my vehicle and I called the customer service people and all they could do was do a 100 deductible for 5 years extra warranty... BS...

This APIM issue is huge. Just think how many more must be happening that we aren't even aware of on this forum.

I have already decided that if I have further problems with it I am going to press for an extended warranty on at least that part of the vehicle. I can't imagine what it would cost me to have to pay to fix that after the initial warranty period expires.

This APIM issue is huge. Just think how many more must be happening that we aren't even aware of on this forum.

I have already decided that if I have further problems with it I am going to press for an extended warranty on at least that part of the vehicle. I can't imagine what it would cost me to have to pay to fix that after the initial warranty period expires.

:exporangeThats a Good point KRod... Of course thats going to cost the Dealership money and they will find every way to push the cost back to you. :exp: i may go down that same road.

Sounds like a nasty software glitch. They have had SYNC for quite a while now and it seems like they have repaired most, if not all, of the glitches in past versions. Keep in mind that all 2011 explorers out right now are the first batch of a completely redesigned and re-engineered model. There are bound to be a couple of bugs that were not foreseen. As long as they fix it at no charge. I don't think this indicates, "The new explorer is a piece of #*&%*^& with absolutely no quality" as many posts are stating here. It's not like the entire drivetrain fell apart...

And......bring on the flames. :D

They have had SYNC for quite a while now and it seems like they have repaired most, if not all, of the glitches in past versions.

And......bring on the flames. :D

No flames. My 08 SYNC had to be replaced fully once, and partially one other time. Both early.

Definitely not a software issue. This was a hardware issue.

Believe me, I love this vehicle and had been waiting since July for them to start showing up at the dealers. I was so happy to finally get one. I have no complaints about the vehicle. I was just disappointed to have this happen (like, I don't want to be the guinea pig!). :)

Isn't this my ford touch been in the 2011 edge for a few months already? I am assuming they are pretty much the same head units. Are the edge owners having these same issues??

Isn't this my ford touch been in the 2011 edge for a few months already? I am assuming they are pretty much the same head units. Are the edge owners having these same issues??

Lots of early issues. They seem to be getting better.

I'm pretty sure they are. When I ordered my Ex in Sept 2010 the salesman took me out to a 2011 Edge they had on the lot and showed me MFT then. If there's been a change, I didn't notice but then again I wouldn't have noticed a hardware change.

All I know about it is that the Edge seemed to have a lot of software issues. When I was looking around to find info on this problem, I read through the Edge forum. Most of what I read seemed to be about the MFT glitching or locking up, and resets would help to clear it. When they had a software update it helped with a lot of that. So, I still maintain that it appears that the Explorers may have gotten a bad batch of APIMs.

''

Well looks like I will be getting back the '11 EXP Xlt today. thats if i can get it out of my wife's hands.. :p: I don't see why not as we have a 2010 Black Camaro that she is letting me drive while we drive a Loaner '10 Taurus (base model UGH):rolleyes: Definitely the APIM, Was hoping they could include HD or NAV -- STILL DREAMING:p: Hopefully this is taken care of. Will keep you guys posted.

My MFT scared me today. Driving down the road and it went blank and the stereo cut out. Thought..oh no..mine is defective too. But after about 30 seconds the Microsoft Sync scheduled maintenance screen popped up, did it's thing and the system came back to full operational status...phew!!!

Hey JD mine did the same thing yesterday... I was worried but it came back to life, thank God!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My MFT scared me today. Driving down the road and it went blank and the stereo cut out. Thought..oh no..mine is defective too. But after about 30 seconds the Microsoft Sync scheduled maintenance screen popped up, did it's thing and the system came back to full operational status...phew!!!

Mine did that yesterday. Then today, it got stuck where it would not hang up the phone. Had to disconnect the BT and when i reconnected, it went right back to showing it being on a call and would NOT hang up.

Back