• Register Today It's free!

1987 stuck in low-4x4 help

Duncansm

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987, STX Ext. cab,Ranger
Put truck in low 4x4 to move trailer in yard , now electronic shift has no lights and no response when button is pushed. Tried fuses, no luck any one ever had this problem?Thanks Duncan

Hi Duncan...Do you hear any relays clicking from the 4x4 controller? In order to shift in/out of 4x4 Low you must already be in 4H with the Trans in Neutral or park (clutch depressed on manual trans) and speedo reading under 3mph.. Pressing the 4x4 low should move the T-Case into 4H @ which you can press 4x4 high and return to 2H.

The shift motor attached to the T-case ha been known to be very tempermental (pre 95 versions)... In many cases a plastic stop bumper within the shift motor's geared position sensor falls apart allowing the gear to move slightly outside its operation range... Therefore when you press the 4x4 buttons the computer cannout determine what position the T-case is in and defaults to doing nothing...Anyway... Crawl under the trunk and lightly tap the shift motor and then try the 4x4 low button... the tapping is generally enough to get the sensor to make contact and allow the shift to happen.

Anyway read the Shift motor rebuild thread for more info.

Hi DeRocha or is it john, I hear no relays at all normaly I would and the overhead control is not even light up any more , before it would tell me what I was in or blink if you were trying to shift improperly.

Back