1993 Ranger 3.0 v6 5 speed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger 3.0 v6 5 speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I didn't forget ya, I've just been swamped...;)

...And another "Never Ending" project is born...:D

..I made the mistake of looking at some hotrod mags, then some mini truckin' mags yesterday at the parts store and became found of Rebel Rods...A lot of options out there..;)

Windows tinted today- 20% sides and 15% back glass

IMG_0677_Medium_.jpg

IMG_0678_Medium_.jpg

I found a 93 Explorer sitting around- its now missing it's gauge pod :D

"Factory" tach-

I don't have any before pictures, but the fuel and oil pressure were bigger and where the tach is now. The OD and speedo is my factory one, all other gages came from the donor.

IMG_0680_Medium_.jpg

IMG_0684_Medium_.jpg

UD Pulleys should be here before too long. 26 MPG here I come.

...Sweeeet...:D

...A tach and now cool tint...:cool:

...could you give me a quick ud/od pulley 101 and what those go on...:scratch:

Yup-

The crank pulley underdrives all accessories by 20%- meaning if all accessories are using 100 HP (just for example) the crank pulley would cut that down to 80 HP, freeing up 20 HP.

The alternator overdrive pulley returns the alternator to stock RPM's to maintain charging.

Underdog Performance said:
Dyno'd to 8+HP and 11+ Torque gain

My theory is manufactures want their vehicles to perform all functions well at all times, no matter what or where. So, they have to make their vehicles perform well in the Northern states as well as the far Southern states- two extreme temperature ranges. So, I can sacrifice a little bit of cooling and power steering to gain power and mileage.

...So, it's an underdrive for the crank and an overdrive for the alt???...About how much for the 2 if you don't mind???

..and on a similar subject, my new to me 160 amp alt (for the X) has I guess, an overdrive pulley and from what I have read, this also has to do with it being able to create the high amps..:dunno:...So now I have to get a different, smaller, belt..Did you have to change belts now too, or were you able to use the stock size...:scratch:

Yup, the crank is underdrive so it turns everything except the alternator 20% slower. The alternator pulley is overdrive, but it actually spins "stock" speed because of the underdrive crank.

I paid $119 shipped for the two- best price I could find. Underdog Performance at www.stuffforyourranger.com is where I got it.

I used a different belt, it showed to be 86 and 7/8" on the package- it was a bit short. I could have used one 1/2" longer, but the store was closed, so I got it on there by brute force.

Depending on how overdrive your pulley is, you may be able to use your stock belt. If not, finding what belt size will be a PITA- I have a buddy at a parts store, I took two, he didn't charge me for anything yet, I'll only pay for the one I used.

...I get the fun stuff..:D.. all but the alt is stock so I have to size it..:rolleyes:

...Thanks for all the info as I may want to do this to my ranger in the future..The 2.3L could use all the help it can get since it doesn't have a passing gear...:salute:

One tank down, got 24.8 MPG on a mostly highway trip through the hill country- I didn't drive particularly easy or slow either. I'd bet on flat ground and stay out of it, it could do better than that.

I'll be driving my back and forth to work for the next tank, I was getting 21.5-22 MPG on that before, I'll see if the gain is there also.

This is only the underdrive pulleys, after I finish the next tank, I will swap in the AirHog filter which is a K&N knockoff. I got both of them the same day, but didn't want to install both for testing purposes.

...Just curious but do you have to drop down to 3rd gear on steep hills wth the 3.0...:scratch:

One tank down, got 24.8 MPG on a mostly highway trip through the hill country- I didn't drive particularly easy or slow either. I'd bet on flat ground and stay out of it, it could do better than that.

I'll be driving my back and forth to work for the next tank, I was getting 21.5-22 MPG on that before, I'll see if the gain is there also.

This is only the underdrive pulleys, after I finish the next tank, I will swap in the AirHog filter which is a K&N knockoff. I got both of them the same day, but didn't want to install both for testing purposes.

you know, the mythbusters did this, but i'd be interested if you coudl do it just for seeing if it's true.

from loooking at it, it looks like it has a bed cover, you should do a few tests with mielage as follows:
1. no bed cover with tail gate up
2. no bed cover with tail gate down
3. with bed cover with tail gate up.

i'd be interested if the results were the same as what they got

..This use to work on the full size ford's...The truck they tested was more aerodynamic as the rangers are too...The ranger owner manuals do state, not to put a bed cover, bug guard, or shell on the vehicle, as this will change the aero and lead to fuel usage..:dunno:

I believe the bed cover contributes to better fuel mileage. I don't care what ford says- they came out with factory bed covers a while back. I had the bed cover off one day to haul some stuff around, it feels to me like there is more drag on the highway. It was a feeling only, and the cover wasn't off long enough to test definitively.

I'd try the testing without the cover, but I have a tool box and some other stuff I carry around all the time, it can't get wet. The regular cab doesn't allow me to carry anything in the cab, I often put things in the bed that would be inside a larger vehicle. I didn't think I'd like the cover at first, but now I can't live without it.

I never got into third even on the longest, steepest grade, it never ran out of power to maintain speed. If I could stay around 65 or so, I could make most hills in fifth. I passed two cars at one point and got up to 80. The 3.0 does OK, passing power is just OK, but I have to make sure there is plenty of time 60 to 75 MPH takes a little while.

...I have a shell, carpet kit and tools and I don't think I have lost much at all...I did however do all my performance mods a.s.a.p. with milage first in mind...Offroad, second...;)

..I am just dreading the day I have to replace the clutch...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I seen a really good looking ranger at the post office today...;)

Back