1998 B4000 4x4 is leaking coolant. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 B4000 4x4 is leaking coolant.

bonessk01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mazda B4000 4x4
Hello I recently purchased a used mazda B4000 4x4 standard trany that has just developed a coolant leak at the back of the motor above bell housing. there is some sort of sending unit at back of intake manifold just above the bell housing and the leak appears to be coming from this area. I can't get a good look because of the cramped area but I was wondering if the could be a frost plug in this area. I'm really hoping its not a head gasket or intake gasket problem. any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Your best friend right now would be a pressure tester. There are freeze plugs on the back there and it's not uncommon for them to go back on these trucks. Is the truck overheating at all? is it a larger leak or is it a large one?

coolant leak

haven't bothered with pressure test as I know antifreeze is leaking from the area where head , intake , and block meet on the back passenger side of engine, but you can't get in there with anything to see exactly what it is. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if there were any frost plugs located on the back of the block above the bell housing. Ive even tryed to get a look using a video scope but even it hasn't helped as I am unable to get it into the area behind the head and look up and forward. Anyway I guess its looking more like an intake gasket but may still be a head gasket either way it will be a total tear down to the block.

coolant leak

its not the termostat thats at the fron tof the engine
My leak is at the back on the passenger side of the block somewhere above the bell housing
There is a sensor of some sort mounted on to the block just above bell housing and just above it you have your intake manifold and head that all come together and its behind this sensor that its leaking this is a steady drip while motor is running so its not like I can drive it any where

truck never over heated it was fine one morning and not so fine the next

coolant leak

well I gave up trying to diagnose just exactly where my leak was. on Sept 9th I put some stop leak into the system and it stoped leaking within 5 min. the leak was about 1 drop every second before treatment and hasn't leaked since and checking oil every day doesn't show anything and no white exhaust so I take it as it comes!
Bill

Back