2002 Explorer Power Window Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Power Window Problems

Thank you -- thank you

Pulled off driver side window switches- tested Blue/black wire (+) and used chassis for ground and got 12 volts.

Checked same blue/black wire (+) and used black wire (-) on back of window switch for ground and got 0 volts.

Open ground wire suspected...checked driver side door wiring grommet, found that black wire was pinched/ cut. Soldered wire back together, problem solved!

You guys saved my life. All four windows were DEAD. It turns out they all use the same ground wire that runs through the driver's door arm-rest switch array. It's THE BLACK ONE.

It turns out that the wire was broken right in half at the door "snorkel" -- that flexible rubber tube that goes from the door to the car body.

Rather than trying to mess with it there, sicne I already had the arm-rest / switch array open..... I just cut the black wire about four inches back from the door switch, and wired a six-inch jumper wire to the screw that holds the door panel onto the door.

Problem FIXED.

You guys are awesome. Thank you.

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All four windows didn’t work but if you open the driver’s door they did, so thought the ground WAS breaking. A month ago, thinking it was the switch like my f150 that went bad, I changed it with a new one, but it didn’t solve the problem. Went to the Explorer forum and found the answer...the black ground wire in the door boot.
Took off the door panel as instructed, took out the panel speaker (4 screws) and got access to the boot from inside the door. All the wires are smaller gauge in the harness accept for the ground, she is bigger. Gave it a little tug, and it pulled away from the break. Attached a connector.
Went to the boot inside the door jamb and pulled away from the body side. Found that same bigger black wire, pulled on it and it was free. attached a new wire too it, taped up and sent it through the boot to the driver’s door.
Attached it to the wires other end and taped it up. Closed the door, checked it and it all worked fine. Put the panel back on the door.
Total time for a novice was 45 minutes, and that was because I was trying to take it slow and not do more damage. Thanks again guys for the great help and perfect instructions.
Big Rondo, thanks for your great detailed step by step posts. And your service to our country. JP in NJ

You are welcome. Nice job on the fix. :biggthump

yup... the wire on mine needs to be soldered
how i can tell?
open the door all the way and the windows work, close it and they dont
GRRRR
i will use this thread for some help, and i might take some pics and try to help anyone else with the problem

yup... the wire on mine needs to be soldered
how i can tell?
open the door all the way and the windows work, close it and they dont
GRRRR
i will use this thread for some help, and i might take some pics and try to help anyone else with the problem

Here you go:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

I can forward wiring diagrams and anything else you need when I get home tonight.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Thank you Rondo, you definitely are a man of your people and I like it. My old man is an electrician a little help from him outta be attained quite easily. Recently he wired his chevy so it doesn't need a key... maybe a potential thing for my ex? we will see!

Thank you Rondo, you definitely are a man of your people and I like it. My old man is an electrician a little help from him outta be attained quite easily. Recently he wired his chevy so it doesn't need a key... maybe a potential thing for my ex? we will see!

Glad to help out. Let me know if you need anything else.

This is my first post and I'm in love with this forum! My drivers side window with the auto has been feeling strange for about a year! After researching here I ordered a power window switch from ebay for $50 since my dealer said the motor was fine a year ago! I figured for that little I had to try! I literally pulled off the trim piece (no tool) took the 2 plugs out put new piece in and now in my Chicago winter have a window that goes up and down again! 5 min and $50! Worth a try right?

Thank you all so much for the responses to OPs thread. This saved me some money. My windows stopped moving, but it was a ground wire in the door. A little tricky working in that area but i got it. Thanks once again.

Thank you all so much for the responses to OPs thread. This saved me some money. My windows stopped moving, but it was a ground wire in the door. A little tricky working in that area but i got it. Thanks once again.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Nice job getting it sorted. :biggthump

Still confused

I took the door assembly apart as described, but all the wires are bound in tape and wire cover. Also, I can't see how to removed the rubber boot from body to the door. Do I need to talk all of that apart? How do you locate where the black wire is/could be broken? I can't see anything due to all the tape and bindings. Thanks

EDIT: I liked the idea to just run the ground into the door screws, if I do decide to just cut the wire short and run a new ground, what type of wire should be used?

Ok, did everything as stated in this threat so far... cut the black wire (ground) and attached a 12v wire to in then grounded it to the door. Still nothing. Could I need a new switch?

I just want to thank everyone who posts here for the help. You may never know how many people are helped by having this info available. I'm just one of many.
THANKS!!

All of the power windows in my 02 XLS stopped working the other day. It's a good thing that they are all in the "up" position, but I cannot control them from the driver door switch, or any individual door switch. I tried them several times with the window lockout switch on and off, nothing works. I looked through the manual a few times, and Power Windows are not listed anywhere in the fuse charts. My friend is a tech at Carmax and he told me to check fuse 6 (60amp) under the hood, but that fuse was fine.

Does anyone know if there's another fuse anywhere else (maybe in the interior fuse block)? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Here is a great link for testing the windows, thanks to theofam for this great link:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's for the '02 but should help you out. it's kind of long. I downloaded it so I will always have it on hand.

Hope this helps out. :salute:

I went to get this and they say it has been deleted.

I went to get this and they say it has been deleted.
sorry to hear that, maybe it exists elsewhere... sometimes these things come and go ;) @BigRondo still got it saved?

I had the same problem on my 04 that it even had gotten stuck at the way bottom smh lol it turned out it was the window motor. My drives now works perfect but the rest have a mind of their own go up slowly won't go up kinda of annoying but it's okay I guess I'm sure it's the motors

Back