2002 Ford Explorer column shift lever cracked off in my hand! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer column shift lever cracked off in my hand!

sharon1962

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer which I just had in the ford dealer because my lever I shift into drive, reverse on steering column broke off in my hand when I went to shift it into gear one morning. I have never in my life heard of such a thing and was wondering where in this forum to post this to see if anyone else ever had this happen.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I'll change the title of this thread, and move it to the 2002-2005 Stock section for you. I have never heard of this happening before. Maybe you ate your Wheaties for breakfast, and don't know your own strength!:D

Thanks

At least I know I'm not the only one who's had this happen. Unfortunately mine was $1400 to fix! They replaced the entire steering column.

So far it looks like it's limited to 02s... Sounds like it should be a TSB (is anyone reporting this?) Can you imagine being stuck in gear w/foot on brake? What happened? How did you stop the vehicle?

Not Sure

Not sure how to report this if it's a big issue Ford should do something about it. I got lucky when it broke off it was in park so I didn't have to worry about putting my emergency brake on and pray it stayed in place. Bad enough I had to walk almost five miles to work from store I stopped at on the way into work.

Yikes! I'd report that... sounds like a recall issue.

Exactly

Thats what I was trying to figure out where do you report something like this?

Still no luck

Ok I went to Ford website to email my problem but it won't accept my VIN and I copied it right of my owners card so why isn't it working?

Ok

I'll give it a shot, that's if I can reach up to see it kinda short LOL!

This issue is all over the internet. I have seen many Ford enthusiast websites with threads regarding this issue. The kicker is that you have to buy a $1200.00 column assembly to get the broken piece.

Going crazy!!!

I have tried to write Ford about my shifter breaking off but everytime I put in my vin number it says it doesn't recognize it!! I got the damn number off the door and I tried the one on my owners card where else is there to look?

I have tried to write Ford about my shifter breaking off but everytime I put in my vin number it says it doesn't recognize it!! I got the damn number off the door and I tried the one on my owners card where else is there to look?

Your owner's card should have the VIN number. Just to be sure check the lower windshield area on the driver's side, there is a plate with a 17 digit number which is your VIN or serial number. This VIN plate can only be read from outside the vehicle through the windshield.

Vin

I checked and there isn't a plate on dash with VIN number so I looked on my drivers door which has the VIN number I put that one and the one on my owners card in where Ford ask for it and it says it's not a valid number! I know I'm not crazy and my car ain't stolen or been tampered with so I'm at a loss what else to do.

happened to me, too!

Been shifting it by taking the bottom cover off the steering column and then sticking my fingers in and manually changing the gears. Been doing it for a year now. I'd finally decided i would buy a cheap junkyard steering column and switch out the part myself, then VOILA, I do a search for a 2002 ford explorer steering column and find this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1385344&parttype=16500&partkey=2425878&a=FRc1385344k2425878-1955672
getimage.php

ordering it today and will be driving like a normal human being in about a week!

after market column shift bracket

JDmaul,

Can you tell me how the Dorman part worked? My 2004 explorer with 138K just had the shifter break off this weekend. Able to piece it together to work for normal driving, but not useable by my wife. I just ordered the same part.

Brian2000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haven't installed it yet...went out of town for about a week. I guess we'll see who gets it done first...?

Back