gear shift lever broker off in hand. . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gear shift lever broker off in hand. . .

fknford

Reaction score
City, State
sierra vista, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I've got an '02 XLS and jumped inside one day to head to work. I went to shift it into reverse and next thing I know I have the lever in my hand. Thought it was rather odd for something like this to come off but nevertheless headed to the dealership to get a replacement. Come to find out the "pin" that holds it together is not available as a single part and I have to purchase a new steering column! Needless to say the price was ridiculous!

I go home in disbelief and go online to search for the part and I come across numerous threads about this being a common problem. I went back and forth with the parts guy at the local ford dealership and its not a recall and there is nothing I can do but buy a new steering column. I refuse to do this and I have been searching for an alternative, I really can't afford that right now I don't want to buy a used steering column in fear that this could happen again. My wife drives this vehicle and this is not safe. Can anyone help me? Is there a company that makes something to fix this if its such a common problem?

Fairly common. I have seen it happen on a few Explorers.

if it's just a pin can you not find another type of pin to replace it, or have a machine shop make one. how about some photos.

Back