2002 Ford Explorer column shift lever cracked off in my hand! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer column shift lever cracked off in my hand!

Dorman bracket is a solution

The Dorman bracket was very easy to install on my 2004 EB explorer. The only issue I had was I was not able to drive the old link pin 100% through the new bracket, but it 95% through, and appears to be binding. I wil check it again in a few weeks to see if there is an issue.

I pried the old spring clamp away from the column with a screwdriver and a chisel and this made it easier to cut it with a dremel tool.

You need a T50 Torx fitting to remove the steering column, and the spring clamp went on very easily with the right clamp tool. Altogether I spent $50 for the part + $50 for the spring clamp and torx drivers ( I got 3 to make sure I had the right size). You might need a gear puller to remove the steering wheel (I had a small one I keep around.

Make sure you disconect the battery to prevetn accidental release of he air bag.

I ordered the part through local O'Reillys (formerly Kragens's) and it arrived in 2 days.

Much cheaper than the Ford solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dorman bracket worked w/ some modifications

I had to drill out the hole for the pin. It was about 1/32 too small. I also had to modify the thickness of the part. The grove for the spring clamp wasn't showing...wondered for about 45 minutes why it wouldn't go on.

the only money I spend was on the part itself. I did not have to take the steering wheel apart to make the repair, just the cover. It was tight, but doable.

Broken Shifter x 3

thank you jdmaul and Brian2000 for all of the info ... my 2002 is back in the shop for the 2nd one in just under 3 years. And while replacing it, the mechanic installed the new one and about 10 minutes later it snapped on him ...

I am going to try and hook up with the mechanic tomorrow to see if I buy the part(s), can they install it...

got to do something ... I am tired of this thing eating shifters for breakfast...:rolleyes:

I had to drill out the hole for the pin. It was about 1/32 too small. I also had to modify the thickness of the part. The grove for the spring clamp wasn't showing...wondered for about 45 minutes why it wouldn't go on.

the only money I spend was on the part itself. I did not have to take the steering wheel apart to make the repair, just the cover. It was tight, but doable.

I am wondering what you mean by modifying the thickness...I'm having some problems that almost seems like the part is a little too short and am debating grinding down the raised part of the piece...

...nm, I just filed down that little bump raised above the base of the post to level and used a dremel to cut the lip off one of the two collars and it finally allowed me to get the snap ring on. :)

...now the only problem is that it won't start. :-(

Just installed the Dorman

Thanks so very much JDMaul..!!!

I found the same situation you did. Had to grind down the shoulder of the wide part so the groove of the circlip would show at the end, and had to enlarge the hole for the shift lever pivot pin.
Other than that, it took me about 2 hrs. to get it done. Unlike others, I only had to remove the lower cover and shift around the upper cover, not anything else, not the steering wheel, nor the steering column.
I did disconnect the battery terminal because I was concerned about tripping the airbag. But other than that I just disconnected the O/D connection of the shift lever and removed the shift lever. After grinding down the replacement part and verifying that I could install the circlip to keep it in place, I greased it and installed it knowing that I couldn't install it with the lever attached.
I then tried to drive the pin in to install the lever but it wasn't to be. So I removed the lever and drilled through the top section and half way through the bottom part of the yolk so it would have some meat left for the pin to lock on to.
I did this, in situ, in place. Then I installed the shift lever, verified that it would operate properly, and buttoned it up.
Very easy repair once you have folks like you to point out the pitfalls and modifications necessary to this supposedly "bolt on" repair...!!!
I was stuck with this problem since monday when I arrived a new job situation, checked with you folks, ordered it that same night, part arrived on friday, got it done today. Pretty spiffy if you ask me......
Thanks a million guys !!!
Now, if I could only find this type of solution to my broken rear window operators...!!!:eek:
Thanks again!!

BTW - The part came from the home of my alma mater - the University of Wisconsin-Madison..... Go Big Red !!!!

glad to be of help Cobia!

As far as your broken rear window window operators...I found a great solution on this site for an issue with my windows (ALL my windows stopped working). Had I not searched it out here first I probably would have spent a good deal of money and time on replacing different parts without success. Doing the search here I found out I could fix it with a little effort and a few inches of electrician's tape.

good luck!

Great fit in my 2004

I received the Dorman part this week and just performed the install today. I was happy to find that it fit perfectly into position and the snap ring went right on without modification (maybe Dorman has improved the design?). As others have observed, the top lever pin hole is unnecessarily tight. So, I drilled that hole out with a 13/64" bit and just touched the bottom lever pin hole to counter-bore it 1/32" deep. The pin then slipped nicely into position and I drove it the remainder of the way with a hammer.

2002 Explorer gear shift broke off inside column

The shift handle on my 2002 Explorer broke off in my wife's hand the other day. I had the vehicle towed home and set to work looking for a solution. After some research I discovered there is a solution to this and it's not an entire steering column. The part that broke attaches to the gear shift handle and then to a brass piece in the column. Seems the factory used pot metal for this and they do seem prone to failure. The good news is that Dorman makes a replacement part, and they are easy to get. I got mine at Advance Auto parts for $65. Now, I'm not saying this is easy to replace, because you have to remove the steering wheel, the plastic cowling around the column to get to the broken piece. However, it took me about 3 hours total to get this replaced.
Some of the things you will need are: a 50 Torx socket (to remove the steering wheel bolt) phillips screwdrivers, small flat screwdrivers and a dremel tool. The dremel tool is needed because you have to grind off one part of the old spring retainer on the broken part, and there is really no other solution. I had mine ground off and the spring clip removed in about 20 minutes. Once you get this spring retainer removed, it's pretty straightforward. I think Dorman has a small video you can use as a guide to replace this part. Here's the part from Dorman, http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-352...=Explorer&parttype=Steering Column Repair Kit Here is the link to the video guide. http://www.dormanproducts.com/digitalassets/video/Inst_905-104_DOR.MP4 The guide is on the same page as the part in case you can't get the video link to work. I hope this helps save someone else from thinking they need a new steering column,when this $65 dollar part is all that is needed. BTW, make sure you disable the air bag before removing anything! Simply unhook the negative battery cable and leave it off for at least 30 minutes before beginning any work, that way the auxiliary power will have time to dissipate and the air bag won't go off when you try to remove it from the steering column. One more thing. I found out on the 2002 Explerer you can't use a steering wheel puller because there are no holes for the puller bolts. I used penetrating oil, lightly tapped on the bolt once I had it loose and just wiggled and pulled until the wheel came off. PATIENCE IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NEED PLENTY OF WHEN DOING THIS JOB! Take frequent breaks because the frustration factor can run high. However, this job is well within the capabilities of anyone with even modest mechanical abilities.

The dremel tool is needed because you have to grind off one part of the old spring retainer on the broken part, and there is really no other solution. I had mine ground off and the spring clip removed in about 20 minutes. Once you get this spring retainer removed, it's pretty straightforward.

It would be nice to see this on a video or where to grind it off.

Back