2003 cruise control won't activate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 cruise control won't activate

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 MM
Hello,

Another one of these threads, I apologize. I have read some of the others but I'm stumped at this point and need your collective expertise.

2003 Mercury Mountaineer with HVAC and radio controls on the right side of the steering wheel and adjustable pedals. When the vehicle is underway and the CC is turned on and then the 'set' button is depressed, the CC dash light comes on but it will not hold speed. Turning the CC off or hitting the brake pedal turn the dash light off.

I didn't check fuses because the dash light functions. I replaced the switch on the front of the MC (SW6349) and it made no difference (for what it's worth, the old switch was nearly the identical 3L3Z number). There are no mods (i.e.: recall) to the brake switch wiring.

I postulate that the in-vehicle brake on/off switch (BOO) is not an issue since hitting the brakes turns the CC light off and the brake lights are not illuminated constantly. If the BOO switch was on (closed) constantly, the CC light would not illuminate but for a split second (since the BOO would be active and shut the CC right off), no? Is there something else I should check in there (it has adjustable pedals)?

I'm sure I forgot some details so please ask. I really appreciate any help you can offer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the vehicle speed sensor on the rear axle. Maybe.. When mine did this it was the brake switch on the mc that you have already replaced..

Hello,

Another one of these threads, I apologize. I have read some of the others but I'm stumped at this point and need your collective expertise.

2003 Mercury Mountaineer with HVAC and radio controls on the right side of the steering wheel and adjustable pedals. When the vehicle is underway and the CC is turned on and then the 'set' button is depressed, the CC dash light comes on but it will not hold speed. Turning the CC off or hitting the brake pedal turn the dash light off.

I didn't check fuses because the dash light functions. I replaced the switch on the front of the MC (SW6349) and it made no difference (for what it's worth, the old switch was nearly the identical 3L3Z number). There are no mods (i.e.: recall) to the brake switch wiring.

I postulate that the in-vehicle brake on/off switch (BOO) is not an issue since hitting the brakes turns the CC light off and the brake lights are not illuminated constantly. If the BOO switch was on (closed) constantly, the CC light would not illuminate but for a split second (since the BOO would be active and shut the CC right off), no? Is there something else I should check in there (it has adjustable pedals)?

I'm sure I forgot some details so please ask. I really appreciate any help you can offer!
Did you ever find a fix for this? My 2002 Explorer just started doing the same exact thing. The dash light comes on when you activate the CC but it doesn't hold speed. I'm not familiar with the term MC what does that stand for? I haven't done anything to trouble shoot this other than look here so far. Mine just started doing this a few days ago. When I go to activate mine sometimes the dash light will flash once and the I hit the set button again and it comes on and stays on but it doesn't hold speed.

CC light used to come on but CC did not work on mine. I changed CC switch on MC now cc light does not come on at all and SOMETIMES the ABS light will come on. Was told to bleed brakes ? Reading codes says C1440. cant find any fuses bad. Any ideas,help,info ?? TYAIA :) I know there are threads about this and almost all just say to change that switch. I didnt want to start a new thread or am i hijacking this thread, it just seemed like the best place to start :)

I have done all that and still nothing. Other than no CC the thing runs perfect. Thought for sure this would be an easy fix :-(

Back