interesting Cruise Control Problem ('05) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interesting Cruise Control Problem ('05)

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
On my drive from VA to GA I noticed that there was a few times the cruise control (CC) would not turn on or engage. No litle indicator lamp or nuthin'. If you shut the car off and restart it would work fine. I also found that there is no fuse for the CC either. I find that a bit odd as every other car I have had has a seperate fuse for the CC. On the drive back there were no problems. Has anyone else observed this behaviour in their CC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't explain the behavior of your system, but the lack of a fuse doesn't come as a shock. The '05 uses ETC which is controlled by the PCM. The GEM just has to send a signal to the PCM telling it the cruise is set and the engine needs more (or less) power as needed. Basically engaging the cruise disconnects the gas pedal and uses the sensors to determine the need for speed as necessary. There's no longer a speed control servo actuating the throttle that needs its own power circuit.

Now, that being said, if it was a one-time occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens more often, have the stealership look at it. It could be as simple as a switch not being made when it should be, or some sensor not cooperating with the system.

-Joe

Ok,just checking but you were going over 40 when this problem occured right? IIRC under 40 the cruise will not engage. I know, I know....just checking all possibilities.

Mike

I was doing about 75 after getting up into traffic and when I pressed the "on" button there was nothing.

Did you press Set after pressing on?

Of course I did!

Geeze!

Dr Plastic said:
Of course I did!

Geeze!

I didn't want to ask, but I thought about it! :p

Has it been working fine since? Might've been a sticky button, or the system may have had a glitch.... it's not a common problem, I'm sure.

-Joe

It has worked OK since It worked fine on the way back from GA. I think I read in the book yesterday that if you are accelerating too hard or at too great of a rate that it would not engage. Oh well.

I am having the same problem, but unfortunately mine just stopped working all together. I don't have a check engine light or abs light on or anything, it just doesn't come on anymore. I've looked around for info but can't find anything on this.

Mine (05 XLT) has quit too. Never use it, so no clue how long its' been out. Got bored the other day on a huge stretch of straight flat road (rare in my part of TN) and wanted to test the MPG thingy out. no yellow speedo idiot light, and no takeover of throttle. I will hit the manual some before bed, and more research tomorrow.

-Shawn

Back