2003 Explorer Sport FX4

2003 Ford Explorer Sport FX4

• Build the FX4 Explorer Sport

Votes: 163 95.3%
  • Do not build a FX4 Explorer Sport

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
I know that .

Gee guys , I like the look of bigger wheels , Sorry... My friend has a 00' F150 5.5" lift 17" w/ 35's It looks sweet . He takes it offroad , no problems . Whats the big deal ??? I know, your gonna say they are'nt as durable , Less sidewall , etc. Thats what I said a year ago , I was wrong ! Not like it matters , Ford is not into pleasing their customers . They won't build it . Since we are all dreamin' .... I want mine w/ 17's , 4" factory lift , SuperCharged (300hp) , a winch , recaro buckets , and the lil' one would appreciate a TV and DVD . Oh yeah upgrade that Bumper 2 Bumper to 10 year 100,000 , Please . and I wanna pay nomore than 33K :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PS.

In a couple years 17" wheels will be the norm/standard . Maybe Ford could take the lead on sumthin' for a change !?. ;)

There are reasons you don't want 17" rims for offroading.

1. The tire flex of large sidewalls aids in traction.

2. The large sidewalls protect the rims from damage.

3. 17" rims on an off-road vehicle would give a harsh ride since the sidewall is so short and inflexible.

Originally posted by Rick
There are reasons you don't want 17" rims for offroading.

1. The tire flex of large sidewalls aids in traction.

2. The large sidewalls protect the rims from damage.

3. 17" rims on an off-road vehicle would give a harsh ride since the sidewall is so short and inflexible.

Plus, tires for 17" wheels are EXPENSIVE.

why not make a 2 door expedition with a short wheel base a ns straight axle front end? i wouldnt mind them calling that a bronco.

my $.02 out that supercharged 5.4 (lightening) in more vehicles especially the explorers.

Come on ford i believe in you guys!

I heard somewhere that Ford was going to make a 2 door Expedition and call that a bronco. Any one else heard this? Also, has anyone seen those Ford trucks that are like an F350 with a bronco back on them? They look like a 4 door bronco. Think they are called a centurion or something.

Andy

Here is one of the awesome comcepts Ford showed us, but never will produce.

Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
why not make a 2 door expedition with a short wheel base a ns straight axle front end? i wouldnt mind them calling that a bronco.

my $.02 out that supercharged 5.4 (lightening) in more vehicles especially the explorers.

Come on ford i believe in you guys!
exactly, like those 2dr Tahoes.:bounce:

Thats a sweet truck in that pic. If they made somethin' like that I am sure that it would sell. Look at Jeep. They are built to OFF-ROAD. I wish Ford would try something new. I like current Ford product, but an Off-road bronco or X would be sweet. Even if its a limited edition.:ca:

I want that feature Rick!! LOL

There is always one, and that one is me. I'm sorry, but don't waste your time building the wheeler for me. They've tried it once and nothing sold. Sorry, but all Ford's going to do is up the price to make a profit. Thanks, but no thanks Ford.

"They've tried it once and nothing sold"

With which vehicle??

I was talking about the manual hubs and T-case that they offered on the early Explorers. They'd have to offer several other options for it to get me in the lot.

Actually there were loads of Explorers equipped like that. They sold as fleet vehicles. That's what mine was intended for. Like I said... today they call it an FX4 they used to call it the stripped model :D

Okay, I got it: 2003 Explorer FX4

Solid leaf sprung front axle

Manual everything, transfer case, hubs, ect.

A smaller version of a Powerstroke, a 185-200 horse would be awesome

Six speed trannsmission or an optionable Allison

Factory manual locking front and rear differential.

My god, we might get bored not having anything to modify it with . . . or not.:D

FX4 is a sticker package

How does FX4 differ from the earlier "Off Road" package on fullsizes or "STX" on Rangers? It doesn't it is just a new sticker.

Should Ford produce an off road sticker version of the Explorer Sport? Yes they should. Will they? Who knows. Maybe they will call it Explorer Extreme and give it even bigger stickers. :rolleyes:

from what i read on ford's web site, the 2002 ranger fx4 will have 31x10.50x15 bfg at ko's and off road suspension with better absorbers etc. i'm guessing that the 2003 sport fx4 wouldn't be that different.

and 4.11 or better gears.

i would love to offroad with my explorer. but with the crappy 3.27, i cant put bigger tires on it.

i'd definately buy a 2003 explorer sport FX4.

Explorer FX4

They should definitly produce this Explorer. I will be graduating college in 2003 and this would make a perfect gift to buy myself. I like the idea of having a more rugged and less luxurious X. If this X came stock ready to handle most trails it would keep us from voiding the warranty on the vehicle as quickly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they should.
In this months 4 wheel drive mag. there is a story about J**p building a Wrangler Rubicon. It will come from the factory w/ lockers and sporting 35" Good Year MTR's!
Basically back in '96 J88p turned over a wrangler to the magazine and said load this thing up with all kinds aftermarket parts test it for a while then give it back. J**p took it back analized everything and built this new Rubicon to be a factory off road beast.
And guess what that means...
Serious off road ventures covered under factory warranty.
I wish more manufacturers would give it more thought. If Chevy and Pontiac can get factory participation in building super sport camaros and firehawk firebirds...why can't we get a Explorer FX4?

Come on Ford!

Back