2003 Ford Explorer. How do I turn the seat belt chime off? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer. How do I turn the seat belt chime off?

Does it work with the key in ACC and the door open I hate that part when you are trying to listen to the radio with the doors open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you have the car in the run position first, and you have to wait for the seatbelt light to go away before doing the steps.

I personally have hated that stupid alarm. When launching a boat it's a real pain - you get in and out a lot, and listening to the damned car chime away adds to the frustration! I usually just plug the seatbelt in and sit on top of it.... not anymore!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm so glad I found this thread. I hate that f'ing alarm for the seat belt, key in ignition or door ajar. I do the same thing, buckle the belt and sit on top of it, especially on short drives, which most of my daily driving is. I'll wear the belt on sunny, summer days with the windows open, long drives or high speed Thruway driving. I just don't need to hear an alarm to remind me (meaning annoy me) I don't have the belt on or anything else going on with the keys or the doors. I'll be trying this shut off method later today. Thanks to all who found this out and posted it up.

Update for 2005 Owners-Seat Belt Chime Alarm Shut Off

ITs in the manual for your explorer - Went through the manual of my 04 and instructions say ....

ignition off
doors closed
headlights off

buckle and unbuckle 3 times ending unbuckled
turn on headlights
turn off headlights
buckle and unbuckle 3 times ending unbuckled
seatbelt light will light for 3 seconds and go off
within 7 seconds buckle and unbuckle seatbelt once more
seatbelt light will flash

worked for me.. did it about 3 yrs ago.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ford likes to screw with us Explorer owners I guess, because I found out the above seat belt chime shut off method for 2004 Explorers must change year to year. So here is the instructions for owners of 2005 Explorers that do not have their vehicles owners manual anymore and need a little help:

The pages in the 2005 owners manual for the instructions on how to "deactivate the seat belt minder/chime" can be found on pages 135 & 136 if you still have the owners manual. The steps also differ a little from the ones above posted by "Curtis" which are for 2004 Explorers.

The 2005 Steps go as follows:

Vehicle turned off
Parking Brake set
Gear shift in PARK
Ignition switch in OFF position
All doors closed
Safety Belt Unbuckled
Parking/Headlamps in OFF position (Note: If you have auto headlamps, turn off the auto headlamp feature)

Now begins the Deactivation Procedure:

#1: Turn ignition switch to RUN position

#2: Wait for seat belt warning light on dash to turn off (takes a minute or so)

:Steps 3 thru 5 must be completed within 60 seconds

#3: At a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the seat belt 3 times, leaving it in the UNbuckled position

#4: Turn Parking/Headlamps ON then Off once

#5: At moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the seat belt, leaving it in the unbuckled position

: after step 5 is done, seat belt warning light will light up for 3 seconds

#6: Within 7 seconds of the seat belt warning light turning off, at moderate speed, buckle and unbuckle the seat belt once leaving it unbuckled
: This will deactivate the seat belt minder chime if it was currently enabled on your vehicle prior to doing these steps

#7: Confirmation of deactivation of the seat belt minder chime is provided by the seat belt warning light flashing 4 times per second, for 3 seconds or 12 warning light flashes. (Note: when the seat belt warning light is done flashing and turns off completely, you are done)

If you want to re-activate the seat belt minder chime in the future, the steps are the same as above, but with a few extra flashes of the seat belt warning light from Step #7 Confirmation.

Like others have said, these steps sound ridiculous to do and they are, but they work, I just did it on my 2005 Explorer and no more annoying seat belt chime. One down and few more annoying chimes to go!

One other thing! When you go to start the vehicle up and drive it for the first time after doing this, you'll notice the seat belt icon light will light up on the dash, don't freak out, it won't chime at all and it will disappear in about 2 minutes of run time. It will do this each and every time you start up the vehicle, but no more warning chime.

If it doesn't work, check anything that runs off sensors in the interior. My 03 didn't respond to the process until I plugged the glovebox light assembly back in. I had unplugged it after smashing it with my head while accessing blend door with a big screwdriver to get some heat going.

And I always wear my seat belt when needed. If I don't have it on, it;s for a good reason and I don't need a reminder that its not there-

I got a fat person buckle from the dealer for free and solved the problem!

Back