For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime?

i pretty much agree with everyone else on just wear the belt... i also believe it shouldnt be able to disabled that easily without some modification.
my ranger is a diffrent story.. i didnt know about the cycles to turn it off so when i removed my seatbelts i just took the connector and shorted it across..
But i have 5 point harnesses with cam locks in my truck that i always wear whether im on or offroad.. dont wanna take the chance. if i have a blow-out anything over 15mph, im rolling it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a ticket once for wearing my harness in my car, cop said I had to wear the factory seat belt :thumbdwn: Went to court and lost :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Jeez you guys do realize there are times when that belt is more of a hazzard than it is a safety devise. Like backing up a trailer, or backing down a long driveway. You need to turn to see where your going, hard to do that when theres a nylon strap holding you facing forward!

So glad I found this thread, disabling that dumb chime first thing in the morning! I hate that stupid thing!

Jeez you guys do realize there are times when that belt is more of a hazzard than it is a safety devise. Like backing up a trailer, or backing down a long driveway. You need to turn to see where your going, hard to do that when theres a nylon strap holding you facing forward!

So glad I found this thread, disabling that dumb chime first thing in the morning! I hate that stupid thing!

I have had no issues turning around to back up my car or trailer wearing my seat belt?

This thread is about the OP driving his car around and being annoyed that the chime would come on because he wasn't wearing his seat belt. Easiest fix and smartest would be to put on the seat belt wouldn't you agree?

In my wife's Milan, if the passenger doesn't put their seat belt on, the chime goes off and it's annoying. I can either A) Tell whoever to put their seat belt on or B) Disable it. I think I will go with option A.

I disagree I guess. You dont have -20 temps on a regular basis in Kansas and have no idea what its like trying to do anything but look straight ahead when your wearing 5 layers of thick clothing. That seatbelt can kiss my ass. Disabled this morning though, took all of a minute and takes a load of stress off driving the vehicle.

When I got my drivers license there was no seatbelt law, heck my parents still have a car that doesn't even have seatbelts!

that tells u how to do it with a key..
how do you disable belt minder with new push button start vehicals???

Seatbelts and motorcycle helmets should be optional, a personal choice. However, when you are all broken up as you ate your windshield and become paralyzed, do not expect the rest of us to carry your medical bills and disability. please carry enough insurance to pay for such consequences or wear the darn belt.

I have an 05 that was previously owned by a law enforcement agency and I think they modded mine to not beep already. I don't know what agency or what they used it for but I wish I knew.

that tells u how to do it with a key..
how do you disable belt minder with new push button start vehicals???

You might get your answer in the proper year forum that covers 2014 Ford Explorers. This is the Stock 2002-2005 Explorer forum. Checking your owners manual might be a good place to start, it's where I found mine for my 2005 Explorer.

Thank you very much for sharing the information on how to disable the chime!

Just got into an 05 Ex and the chime does not only come on when the belt is unfastened, but when you open the door, leave the keys in the ignition, during a warning on the screen for low fuel, when you leave the lights on, and I am sure many more.

Any knowledge on where the chime is located and how to get to it would be greatly appreciated.

On my 01 ranger I was able to locate the circuit board, unsolder the chime itself from the board, run wires from the contacts to a single LED light I mounted into the dash by the light switch. So now it flashes a light which is very effective without the chime.

Any knowledge on where the chime is located and how to get to it would be greatly appreciated.

Not 100% sure of this, but if you look to the "right" of the steering column (between steering column and center radio/climate control console) on the dash face below the main dash gauge window, you will see several horizontal slots stacked vertically above one another, cut into the dash face (like a speaker port). I believe the chime device is located behind there and the sound emanates from those slots cut into the dash. It is the general area on my EX where I hear the chime alarm sounding from. If you happen to locate it and have an easy fix to disable the chime, post it up on the board. I've about had it with that redundant, nuisance device myself. There are plenty of other more quieter, warning devices built into these Explorers IE: flashing dash icons or messages on message screen to warn you of an issue with the vehicle.

The seatbelt chime is royal pain when hooking up to trailers along with rear warning alert!

I do alway wear my seatbelt though.

If it could be set to come on once the speed exceeded 10 or 15 mph that would be great.

"ding dong, the witch is dead! It took some searching on the web to locate the chime itself, but it is now safely resting right next to the keyboard that I am using to type this.

On my 05 Explorer the chime component is soldered directly to the circuit board behind the gauges. On my ranger, it was a separate unit that could be removed and opened to get at the chime. Ford made it more difficult to get at the chime in the cluster, however if you are mechanical and careful you can easily do it.

You must remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle, so you will need to read up on that its not too bad, once the cluster is on your dining room table on a beach towel you need to open the cluster up, read up on that too, its not too bad, The only scary part was that you MUST remove the gauge indicator needles from the dash display from the electronic drives behind the display. Scary, after research I used a regular kitchen fork to carefully lift them off the drive axle, They do simply pop off but not super easy. The main trick you need to do is when you have the face open you need to take some blue masking tape and carefully mark exactly where the needles bottom out on the drive, so you can reset the needles EXACTLY where they were from the factory. This is an important step before you pop off the needles. I made sure the needles went back to the respective drives although I believe the small ones are interchangeable.
Once you get the needles off the dash circuit board easily comes off and you can get right at the chime with a soldering iron and just work both pins out of the board. DONE.

If you want while you are there you can easily wire in some small gauge wire to the contact points and run them to a 12vt led or standard 4vt led with a resistor, you can even wire the chime in with a switch if you want and place it elsewhere in the dash area so you can select chime, led, both, whatever. I have some pics of this if anybody is interested, but alas, ding....dong....the witch is DEAD!

All good with disabling the belt chime but please always remember to buckle up.

I understand with winter clothes etc it's a pain. I can understand.

In 1980 I was driving a 73 LTD "Lead Sled" buckled up and a guy ran a stop sign. I was doing 65. Yes I was speeding.

The end result was:

I ripped the belt mounts out of the floor from the impact, got a free 7 days in ICU with 2 broken jaws and a skull fracture. As a bonus I got 6 weeks with my jaws wired shut and went from 145 Lbs to 100 Lbs.

They other guy got a broken leg and his girlfriend can't walk anymore.....

If I had not had a seat belt on I may not be responding to this old post....

From then on "I ALWAYS BUCKLE UP"!

None of us are "The Man of Steel"!

I disabled mine simple so when I'm hooking up, loading or unloading my boat I don't have to listen to that stupid chime. I always wear my seat belt other than that.

Not to give a PSA but I firmly believe a seatbelt saved my life in my 96 Explorer. My latch went bad for months and I never wore my seatbelt. Two weeks prior I went to the junk yard pulled a latch and put it in. Then a freak accident happened and it was the only think that kept me from being sent out my window when it rolled on the drivers door.

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

Not to give a PSA but I firmly believe a seatbelt saved my life in my 96 Explorer. My latch went bad for months and I never wore my seatbelt. Two weeks prior I went to the junk yard pulled a latch and put it in. Then a freak accident happened and it was the only think that kept me from being sent out my window when it rolled on the drivers door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/17422303752/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/17422305852/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/16801742494/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/17236684680/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/17398243596/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63246545@N02/17236503468/lightbox/

I removed the IMG tags so the links are visible. I think because they are secured or private, they won't show correctly?

Edit: Glad you wore your seat belt!

It just won't STOP!!!

Hehe, anyway I admit I don't always wear my seat belt but that damn chime is making me want to! I'm sure that is it's purpose but hey! :D

If I'm must here in town (25 zone) doing something quick, I don't always want to throw it on.

How can I disable the chime? I know on my Mitsubishi Eclipse it was a simple matter of unplugging something but I would still like the other warning chimes to work.

Is there a harness to the seat buckle itself?
The 9 steps quoted by Doomstang and others are correct. One caveat however, on my vehicle anyway, is that I had to not only buckle & unbuckle the seat belt 3 times, but retract and extend it each time as well, as you'd do when taking a trip. In this regard the manual is a tad misleading. At first I tried it with the seat belt buckle in my hand and just buckled & unbuckled as the manual suggests. When that didn't work it occurred to me to try retracting it all the way back into the takeup spool and out again each time. That worked brilliantly and of course the chime still sounds for things like headlights and low fuel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is probably a wire that goes to the buckle i dont know for sure but if you can find it and cut it that mite just work and there mite be one to the strap im not sure

Back