2005 ford explorer sport trac no start, good fuel pressure, good spark. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 ford explorer sport trac no start, good fuel pressure, good spark.

tom5964

Reaction score
City, State
wichita ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer truck
2005 ford explorer sport truck . cranks but wont start, I've changed throttle body, TPS, MAF, cam, crank' and fuel pressure sensor all with no effect. the only other thing wrong with the truck is the head lights dont work and all the other lights work don't see how the to could be related but if anyone has any ideals i would sure like to hear them thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the theft Light flash?

Does the theft light go out when cranking the starter?

welcome to the site.

Did you get a new key recently?

Does the theft Light flash?

Does the theft light go out when cranking the starter?
yes the theft light is flashing and yes the theft light does go out when cranking the starter. I bought this Ford Explorer Sports Truck non- running going to fix it for the wife and when I did I only got one key and didn't get the key fob but I'm told the key is chipped for the truck. Like I said I've put a lot of new sensors on it. So now I am thinking the Anti- Theft System or possible short Still at a lost any help would be appreciated. Thanks

yes the theft light is flashing and yes the theft light does go out when cranking the starter. I bought this Ford Explorer Sports Truck non- running going to fix it for the wife and when I did I only got one key and didn't get the key fob but I'm told the key is chipped for the truck. Like I said I've put a lot of new sensors on it. So now I am thinking the Anti fillo grill- Theft System or possible short Still at a lost any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Consider checking the ignition system, fuel delivery, and potential issues with the anti-theft system. Verify the condition of the battery, inspect the crankshaft position sensor, and examine the timing components. If problems persist, seeking professional help for a comprehensive diagnosis is recommended. Addressing electrical issues related to the headlights might be necessary, and consulting a mechanic for further assistance is advisable.

Have you checked the Coil Pack?

Air fuel spark

You have checked fuel pressure and it is in spec 64 psi +/-

Next is to check for spark
Verifying that the theft light works and then goes out while cranking tells us the ignition is at least getting a signal from the pcm and the crank sensor. This also tells us the pcm is happy with the chip key and the pats system is working

You should do a physical check for spark at a spark plug

After this would be a compression test
This will verify if the timing has jumped

How many miles and which engine? Any info like this is helpful. Reading your post we don’t know if you were driving one day and then it stopped the next or? Now we know you bought it not running. If it is the sohc 4.0 it is quite possible it lost time
The 4.0 is an interference engine so when it loses time and you crank the starter the pistons slap the valves

How many miles? How long since it ran last? What happened when it died? Any info from the previous owner is helpful

Again air fuel spark
Compression is the air part

If you have fuel and you have spark then the electrical side of things are likely working
The headlights maybe totally un related
We assume you have checked all fuses and relays best you can

No more parts until you do a compression check

Since compression is being checked, remove all spark plugs,and, fuel pump relay.
Is ticking sound heard while cranking with plugs removed?

Have you checked the Coil Pack?
Yes changed the coil pack have changed the cam and cranks sensors all the time g marks line up and and did leak down test on it. I can't figure it out it's getting good spark and gas cranks good sounds like it just wants to start but won't hate this electronic stuff if it gets spark gas and air it should run but this one won't still at a lost but thanks for all the help

Compression test all 6 cyl what are results

Consider checking the ignition system, fuel delivery, and potential issues with the anti-theft system. Verify the condition of the battery, inspect the crankshaft position sensor, and examine the timing components. If problems persist, seeking professional help for a comprehensive diagnosis is recommended. Addressing electrical issues related to the headlights might be necessary, and consulting a mechanic for further assistance is advisable.

Compression test all 6 cyl what are res

Front to back starting on driver side 168 160 158 162 160 154 which I'm told is good I know I'm missing something. There is one thing I just noticed the gas gauge is acting up it shows on empty when I turn the key on and then turn it on and off it'll go up to about 3/4 a tank which is about what it has in it would this have any thing to do with the anti theft system? I don't have a hell of a lot more money to put in it any know if you can put a used pmc in it out of a junk yard?

I'm going to try and reprogram the pmc and pats any know the procedure to do this? I'm buying one from a junk yard and try reprogram it is it possible to do

If you get a pcm from the junk yard you must also get the ignition key and tumbler from same truck, you will not be able to program the pcm to your keys no…. Not easily

Have you physically checked fuel pressure at the rail? I know you said you did but I have to ask.

Thanks for posting the compression results! Looks like she should run!

2005 ford explorer sport truck . cranks but wont start, I've changed throttle body, TPS, MAF, cam, crank' and fuel pressure sensor all with no effect. the only other thing wrong with the truck is the head lights dont work and all the other lights work don't see how the to could be related but if anyone has any ideals i would sure like to hear them thanks

If you get a pcm from the junk yard you must also get the ignition key and tumbler from same truck, you will not be able to program the pcm to your keys no…. Not easily

Have you physically checked fuel pressure at the rail? I know you said you did but I have to ask.

Thanks for posting the compression results! Looks like she should run!
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back had the flu just getting over it planning on getting back to work on it today no checked the pressure at the check valve not right at the fuel rail the pats seams to be working correctly and from the compression test spark and fuel I'm with you it should be running I know I'm missing something just can't figure it out I hate to put it in a shop one because of cost and two I know it's going to be something stupid that I could of fixed myself but if I don't soon I'm just going to bite bullet and put it in shop thanks for all the help I truly appreciate thanks again

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back had the flu just getting over it planning on getting back to work on it today no checked the pressure at the check valve not right at the fuel rail the pats seams to be working correctly and from the compression test spark and fuel I'm with you it should be running I know I'm missing something just can't figure it out I hate to put it in a shop one because of cost and two I know it's going to be something stupid that I could of fixed myself but if I don't soon I'm just going to bite bullet and put it in shop thanks for all the help I truly appreciate thanks again

Did you replace the inertia switch. They go bad. The shut off the vehicle when there is a crash. My brothers 04 went bad. Also they can get kicked and it shuts down fuel.

if there is 64 psi fuel pressure at the rail then no need to test inertia switch

I re read this thread from the top
I know we have checked compression and fuel pressure
Have you tried to see if it starts with a shot of ether?

you can check the pats system for any codes, just in case there is a problem with the key/halo
(usually when the theft light goes off during cranking the starter it indicates the pats system is happy...but we are at a loss)

here is good info on the pats system

if there is 64 psi fuel pressure at the rail then no need to test inertia switch

I re read this thread from the top
I know we have checked compression and fuel pressure
Have you tried to see if it starts with a shot of ether?

you can check the pats system for any codes, just in case there is a problem with the key/halo
(usually when the theft light goes off during cranking the starter it indicates the pats system is happy...but we are at a loss)

here is good info on the pats system

Even if PATS is locking it out it will fire with ether so try that. Definitely check for error codes. The best free software out there is FORScan for Android. I believe there is a Windows version too. Would be worth it to pick up a noid injector tester too. For the Theft light, I don't know for sure what it does while cranking but with ignition to the on or run position the Theft light will be out if it's okay with the key. If it's flashing the key is bad. Don't go swapping ECU's yet you haven't confirmed any problems with that. And you're opening up a whole new can of worms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the inertia switch. They go bad. The shut off the vehicle when there is a crash. My brothers 04 went bad. Also they can get kicked and it shuts down fuel.
Checked its working and I'm getting fuel spark I'm checking the neutral switch tomorrow but by all accounts this truck should be running its getting fuel compression good its getting spark it's not out of time and the pats is working it's not putting off any codes because of the battery being removed when I bought it but the pmc is communicating with the motor Checked all grounds if this neutral switch don't do it damned if it ain't got me beat

Back