2011 Ford Explorer! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

Question's for Marielle;

1- Is the information at this link accurate and if so, can you provide more details, such as;

- Must the owners older EX be traded in to receive th incentive or does just owning one qualify?

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/12/07/already-own-a-ford-explorer-ford-will-offer-you-incentives-on-the-2011-model-year/

2- Any chance of Ford offering a 3rd seat delete option? Quite a few folks appear to prefer a storage compartment in place of addtional seating. I know I would.

3- Can you publish the full EPA numbers?

4- Any idea when dealers in the New York/Phiiadelphia area will be receiving their shipments.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do all three trim levels come with the third row seats? I thought for some reason it was the Limited only as that is the only one that has the option for one touch up and down third rows.

Do all three trim levels come with the third row seats? I thought for some reason it was the Limited only as that is the only one that has the option for one touch up and down third rows.

It comes on all of them. You can get a manual folding third row in it.

I actually have a really good question (or so I think :D).

Why do new Fords still only have the driver's side one touch down window? It seems like much lesser cars have it on all windows. Kind of a crazy thing to still not have in such a well-equipped (the interior at least) car.

One thing I appreciate greatly is that I don't see any blingy, cheap plastic chrome clad wheels on the 2011, which they had on the 4th gen and the Expedition. I hope it stays that way.

Why do new Fords still only have the driver's side one touch down window? It seems like much lesser cars have it on all windows. Kind of a crazy thing to still not have in such a well-equipped (the interior at least) car.

'96ish Probes had both windows as one-touch down- at least from the driver's contorl panel, I'm not sure about the passenger side.

I agree, it would be a nice feature to have from the driver's control panel, maybe have it on the front passenger control panel as well.

'96ish Probes had both windows as one-touch down- at least from the driver's contorl panel, I'm not sure about the passenger side.

I agree, it would be a nice feature to have from the driver's control panel, maybe have it on the front passenger control panel as well.

Definitely. It's got to cost basically nothing so I don't know why they haven't implemented it yet...

Marielle, since no one is answering this on the facebook page maybe you can here. Why are there some people who had pre-ordered as far back as this summer being told that their dealer is getting in non pre-orders first? Is it because they are just making one kind first with all the exact same features and when ever they get to what people actually ordered they will make them? Seems like a poor customer service system to me. If I ordered a car 6 months ago and then someone else walks on the lot and just buys one that shows up before I got mine I would be pretty damn upset.

Our old '01 Volvo S60 had one touch down and UP for the front seats. I really miss the one touch up...That was a awesome feature!!!

Definitely. It's got to cost basically nothing so I don't know why they haven't implemented it yet...

The 2006 Mustang has one touch up and down for both windows. Drives me nuts when I get in the honda which doesn't have it..

~Mark

The 2006 Mustang has one touch up and down for both windows. Drives me nuts when I get in the honda which doesn't have it..

~Mark

That just makes it make even less sense (that they don't have it on most of their cars). They should have it on all of their vehicles.

That just makes it make even less sense (that they don't have it on most of their cars). They should have it on all of their vehicles.

I don't know if this means anything, but the 2006 mustang (s-197) has lots of control of the window.

When you pull the door handle it drops the window about 1". When you close the door it puts it back up. I'm guessing that since its already doing that, an auto up was a simple add-in.

~Mark

@Mishtar

This better not be the case. I ordered one late August and have been driving my wife crazy anticipating it since. I googled and read 3 articles that various Detroit/Dearborn/Chicago newspapers had around the starting of the 2011 production. The pictures on those articles showed Limited and XLT trims being made (trust me, by now I can tell you the difference in 2 seconds). I did NOT see any base models in those pictures.

I've heard squat from my dealership since the day I ordered it and can all-but-guarantee I know more than they do about the 2011 Ex's. To add insult to the waiting, Ford's $1000 cash back incentive going on now ends January 3rd. Will they offer it after that? I'd rather not take that chance.

Sheehy Ford in Springfield, VA is known to be the first dealership who got them (guessing earlier this week or even today). The one delivered to them was a Kona Blue XLT with nav and Rapid Spec 202A (leather seats, MyFord touch package). You would think they had pre-orders so showing this model on Ford's inventory page (link) doesn't make sense.

@edge on the Facebook page a few people said they ordered them and now the dealers know what is coming if you ask them and they are getting in 2 fully loaded limiters and not his order which was placed in July. I am not sure when the earliest order went in at my dealer but they showed me spec sheets on the first two coming to them and they were loaded ltd's as well.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the dealers wouldn't get fully loaded Ex's to have in the showroom even if prior to the ordered vehicles... Is it right? I could say no if I had already ordered and paid for a new Ex, but I can see the argument why- they need to have something there, it's an incredibly important launch. Dealers can't have zero Ex's to show at dealerships until all of the pre-orders are filled. Another side says that a lot of the pre-orders are for dealer stock anyway so it wouldn't matter. I see both sides... But, I also doubt that Marielle is in a position to answer that question, so don't lambaste her is she can't do that, I think the intentions are good...

<on soapbox>

To be honest, I also wonder if Ford expected to get the tepid response and types of questions they're getting from the ExplorerForum. I think it's good though- these are the questions that they have to answer, it's important for this arm of the potential customer pool to be heard and given real answers since most of them are of the opinion that the rug was pulled out from under them by going to a car-based CUV even though I understand why. It's not about MyFord touchscreens, that can be learned about on the Ford site.

I'm a supporter of the new Ex, but honestly- I'd like Ford to make an actual effort to answer some of the tough questions of the crowd that supported them through some pretty hard times. I know the answers are there, I've heard them from people at Rotunda- but Ford needs to share them as I can't.

Keep it real, Ford...

<off soapbox>

Ford answered the question on their Facebook page as to how the are building and delivering them.

Good... I'm not on FB anymore, so I didn't see that. Was it adequate?

Ford Explorer commented on their wall post.
Ford Explorer wrote: "I understand your frustration with this and want to explain a little about how things work as this is not intended as a slight to anyone. When we build vehicles, we always mix things up - that way we can do our best to keep as many people happy as possible. So, we build a mix of dealer orders, dealer stock, employee vehicles, test vehicles and customer orders. We have to get vehicles to dealers as this is the only way they can showcase vehicles and sell to those who refuse (understandably) to buy a vehicle they have not driven or seen. We then very quickly ramp up the mix to make sure we deliver customer orders as well but this is not an exact science. The other thing that you have to factor in is that early build vehicles are subject to very stringent tests before they leave the plant to ensure any issues are ironed out before they leave. This can mean that vehicles are built and then stored for a short period which causes delay. Please be assured that we will do our best to get your vehicle built as quickly as possible to the highest quality possible and I do hope you will bear with us. Kind regards, Jay"

Good deal. Yep, that jives and makes complete sense...

Rear liftgate question: does the window open independantly of the liftgate?

I hope it does. Not having that feature on my 2004 Saturn VUE sucks. I love having it on my '97 Explorer. The only redeeming feature of the VUE that makes the solid rear window OK is that the front passenger seat folds foward completely flat (also a really good idea) so I can haul uncut 8 foot 2x4's home from the lumbar yard with the liftgate closed. With the Explorer, I can do the same thing, but with the window open. And not to mention the ease of loading/unloading small items through the window instead of having to open the entire lift gate is really nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fixed rear window... Gate only...

Back