2011 Ford Explorer! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

It really wouldn't surprise me if the dealers wouldn't get fully loaded Ex's to have in the showroom even if prior to the ordered vehicles... Is it right? I could say no if I had already ordered and paid for a new Ex, but I can see the argument why- they need to have something there, it's an incredibly important launch. Dealers can't have zero Ex's to show at dealerships until all of the pre-orders are filled. Another side says that a lot of the pre-orders are for dealer stock anyway so it wouldn't matter. I see both sides... But, I also doubt that Marielle is in a position to answer that question, so don't lambaste her is she can't do that, I think the intentions are good...

<on soapbox>

To be honest, I also wonder if Ford expected to get the tepid response and types of questions they're getting from the ExplorerForum. I think it's good though- these are the questions that they have to answer, it's important for this arm of the potential customer pool to be heard and given real answers since most of them are of the opinion that the rug was pulled out from under them by going to a car-based CUV even though I understand why. It's not about MyFord touchscreens, that can be learned about on the Ford site.

I'm a supporter of the new Ex, but honestly- I'd like Ford to make an actual effort to answer some of the tough questions of the crowd that supported them through some pretty hard times. I know the answers are there, I've heard them from people at Rotunda- but Ford needs to share them as I can't.

Keep it real, Ford...

<off soapbox>

@JoeDirt Really great to hear all your thoughts! It's awesome to see all of your questions and I'm working to get all of these tough questions answered for you guys as soon as possible :) Please bear with me, so I can give as much detail as possible :) Everyone's questions and feedback have been awesome so far, and Ford definitely appreciates what you have to say! Thank you guys so much :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Marielle

Another question;

I did the build option on the ford vehicles site and searched dealer inventory. It came back with one hit for a local dealer with 2 available. The display sticker option for a 4WD XLT & Limited shows EPA numbers of 17/23. Is the 25mpg being advertised for the FWD version or have the numbers changed?

The link to the stickers;

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8D86BGA04717

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F81BGA04718

FWD V6 Explorer = 17 city / 25 hwy / 20 combined
4WD V6 Explorer = 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined

Source: Ford website

Personally, I'll take the 2MPG hit for the option of on-demand 4WD.

4WD Comparisons
Explorer 4WD 3.5L V6 (290HP/255tq) = 17/23
Highlander 4WD 3.5L V6 (270HP/248tq) = 17/22
Pilot 4WD V6 (250HP/253tq) = 16/22
Grand Cherokee 4WD 3.6L V6 (290HP/260tq) = 16/22

First reason is because of the rear wind deflector- it's in the way. Also, less parts, cheaper to produce, less problems like the cracking panel, etc, etc... I'm sure their marketing said that most people rarely used the window only feature.

Rear deflector:

20100805_2011-explorer-rear_614mz.jpg

Marielle- thank you for the thanks... :) I hope Ford really is listening, because they've got a rather large community of enthusiasts that has some very strong opinions about the Explorer. Some have views that it will never be what it was and needed to be euthanized rather than be produced into what the 2011 model is. Others are willing to let the vehicle prove whether or not it's worthy of the badge. I'm of the latter group, I'd like to see what Ford's got. As a 35+ Ford car/truck owner and still having family inside Ford, I have had the pleasure of talking with engineers about both the new Explorer, as well as the new Taurus SHO. As the Ford people well know, the push for the rebirth of the SHO was really hatched on a forum...

Ryan Pasch, owner of one of the rare Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle SHOs, used the group and the rest of the Internet to start a Web site, www.bringbackthesho.com. The movement began on the club's Web site, www.shoclub.com, before spreading on Facebook, Twitter and his own site. When Ford finally announced the rebirth of the SHO in 2009, it credited Pasch's site as part of the reason.

...and Ford even included some of us SHOForum members in how the car was being engineered. Some of us were able to tour around the track with it prior to the unveiling at the Auto Show.

What's odd to me, was that as much social media networking Ford did with the new Explorer through and including the release on Facebook- at least publically- they have apparently ignored this very large enthusiast forum with over 150,000 members. Whether or not they have been reading thoughts here is different, because I think they have- but to not include it in the actual process or at least get thoughts on things may have been a mistake. How big remains to be seen, but a mistake nonetheless. Ford has to win over some of our members to truly have a great Explorer. Our members are not just new car buyers, but first time buyers who modify an Explorer, fall in love with the brand, and become loyal Ford customers for a long time. Will the new Ex be able to fit that bill for a first time buyer in 10 years? Did Ford think about that, because that member may end up being someone who buys 35+ Ford vehicles like me... Come on Ford, don't forget about us!

Aha! My point illustrated... :D

What's odd to me, was that as much social media networking Ford did with the new Explorer through and including the release on Facebook- at least publically- they completely ignored this forum, with over 150,000 members.

I definitely use the rear window feature and so do most people I know who have it. That's a pretty big fail if you ask me.

I am going to respectfully disagree with what I have been reading. First I bought my first X in 1990 a Sport, it now has 33s and 6-inch lift and is a very capable on off road vehicle. I bought a 98 Ranger 4x4 replaced it with a 04 Ranger Level II. I bought an 05 X which I still have. We had a 96 Mustang which was replaced with a 2010 Mustang, and believe that the Mustang may be the last for I will buy. I believe that I am a red white and blue oval. But I feel that Ford has turned its back on me as a customer.

I am a civil engineer and drive on the dirt as many days as I dont. I am an off road enthusist so I drive off road just for fun. I have no intrest in buying a 150, except for the Raptor.

The 05 X is very limited in its off road ability. It is too big and heavy. It is fine for gravel roads and smooth fire roads. It is as close to a minivan as I am willing to get. It has very limited "utility" use. I would not take the X onto the jobsites that I take my Level II Ranger. The Ranger has handled the difficult terrain without issues.

Now Ford in their infiniate wisdom has decided not to make vehicles that I would buy. I believe that the popularity of the Explorer was in people that saw people like me and decided that I want to be like them.

The new Explorer is a minivan that is intended to to be purchased by soccer moms. It is not a man's man's truck. The utility has been taken out. It should not even have the name Explorer. I am in need of a new vehicle, but I would not even consider a new Explorer, because Ford has not considered me in their new design. I know that they build what they think will sell. But they will not sell to me.

Well stated, unclemeat...

^ that is exactly what Ford needs to deal with ^

If they are going to shift to building more for a road-based market, that's fine, but that captures a lot of the sentiment... I really hope Ford decides to deal with this type of stuff and not just "hope it blows over" or they are going to lose a very loyal base. The problem is that when you have a strong base, they buy your new vehicles- without shopping other brands. Most here will probably now buy used vehicles if they want an Explorer. You'll sell new vehicles, but they will be to non-rabid buyers who had a Toyota or an Oldsmobile and don't much care who's brand they buy, they only care that it has "cute taillights" or a MyTouch system. Novelty wears off. When the next buying cycle comes, instead of being able to count on "that guy" buying a new Ford vehicle, you have the non-committal buyer, who stops at the Hyundai dealer and trades in their Ford for a Hyundai simply because they liked the color. You're going to have to work twice as hard to maintain your base. Meanwhile, your rabid base will still buy Ford vehicles- used ones. Now you have enthusiasts driving 10 year old+ Ford vehicles, and that doesn't help Ford's new car sales and market share.

The point is, if you're going to balance everything- you have to give the utility crowd something. With the Edge, Flex, and now Explorer, you have given the old Explorer fans who can't fit into an Escape- nothing... they're all FWD car-based CUV's. Iknow Ford is marketing the Explorer as an SUV, but well... nah. I don't even buy that. :) As much as I like the Explorer and assuming the released vehicles are of quality and without problems, will be ordering one in the Spring, I can completely see the argument of the other Explorer fans.

I guess at this point, we should let it get back to the 2011 Explorer questions, since this is probably pointless discussion- the Explorer is built, it's coming out the way it is and nobody here has the ability to change the vehicle or the minds at Ford, apparently.

I guess at this point, we should let it get back to the 2011 Explorer questions, since this is probably pointless discussion- the Explorer is built, it's coming out the way it is and nobody here has the ability to change the vehicle or the minds at Ford, apparently.

I couldn't have said it any better..............

If you really need utility, a 150 with a cap should be just what your looking for, it has the same engine and fuel economy with a V8 option if your towing something. If you need some speed with that, the Raptor should make you smile.

The EX should do just fine the way it is for its target market, although with fuel costs rising with no end in sight, only time will tell for the 4WD version. I know I'm reconsidering buying.

@Joe Dirt

I find myself a hybrid of both types of groups you mention. My family has been long-time Ford buyers, only 6 vehicles in 20 years but keep in mind we drive them until the wrecker literally comes to get us (only one so far). I would not consider myself an off-roader having driven or owned an F150 (90), an Escape (04) and 2 Rangers (96 and 04) and growing up in the mid-west (think farmland). Now that I live in the suburbs and am starting a family, my car-shopping list was limited to not-cars, not-minivans and not-trucks. That pretty much leaves SUVs/CUVs. I had been eyeballing the Acadia and Highlander for the better part of 4 months before the announcement of the 2011 Explorer. I was NOT considering the long-in-the-tooth 2010 Explorer (poor gas mileage), nor the Expedition (too big, gas hog, maybe after 4+ kids), Escape was too small even though I loved it, Flex is ugly and Edge is a little bit too small and was low on my list compared to the Highlander.

I don't consider myself a brand-loyalist, I buy what is proven dependable and not too ugly, function over form. I don't think you give the regular Joe (no pun intended) enough credit for his car shopping research. The days of brand loyalists are over.

In the end, you're in the business to make money, not friends. If the data points to an OVERALL gain, then that's the logical choice. Losing 30,000 brand loyalists of 30+ years but gaining 300,000 new buyers will make your stock go up, for at least that year. Worrying about how to retain those buyers in 3-10 years is another matter.

Exactly- it's greater good- that was my sentiment in the other bloating Explorer thread, your views mirror mine nearly exactly... I don't think Ford needs to make 30 or even 50,000 loyalists happy, they need to go for the greater market. My only point was that they didn't seem to even consider how the vehicle would go over with a large part of the segment, unless their data pointed to an overwhelming positive gain even if they totally wrote off the entire heavy-hauling, V8 driving, rugged outdoor market, which, from who I've heard things from- is the case. That market is MUCH smaller than anyone thinks, even though it's a majority here...

Your car buying example is great, the point I was trying to make is that there are many fewer hard core brand loyalists anymore...

I'm a hybrid on this-

I love my Gen II's. I'd prefer a frame. I think Ford is building the right Explorer for 2011. I think it's going to appeal to more people than the Gen III/IV did. I think they're correct in moving away from the off-road market when it related to economics. I'd rather see what it can do than dismiss it as incapable before it hits the street, because it is capable. If all is well with the launch, no glaring issues, etc., I'm ordering one- but will be keeping my Gen II anyway. I have to trust Ford on this one- They have been doing incredible work lately.

It looks like a 2011 Explorer might be in my future!

I was getting ready to purchase a 2011 VW Touareg TDI, they tow +7000 lbs, are very quick and nimble and get 28mpg. But VW set the price point way way too high at $48K for a VW SUV, when they sell the Audi Q5 for less and the Porsche Cayenne for just a bit more. Also having to add the clean diesel fluid every 5000 miles sounded like a pain in the butt (plus it won't start if you run out - very lame)

Ford has really drawn me in with the new design, very cool looking. The vehicle is really exactly what I need except maybe a bit too long. I need comfort as a daily driver in LA traffic, and a long ride out to a weekend house 100 miles away. I need to be able to tow some light weight sports cars to the track. I need to haul equipment , lumber, etc for normal house work, I need some medium off road ability to deal with the desert/ mountain roads outside of LA, and I want good gas mileage. But will Ford be releasing a shorter version kind of like the Explorer Sport 2 door in the future do you think ? Or will they have the Flex / Edge to handle that niche ?

Also is it possible to order a Ford with temporary / cheap wheels if you are planning on putting custom wheels on it right away ?

Almost bought a Grand Cherokee but will not use the off road options and does not offer 3rd row seat.I live in Chicago and the dealer says the
2011 Explorer will be in this week.My only question is why would you buy an SUV with FWD? If you tow you need RWD.Have never owned a foreign car
and am glad my neighbors in South Chicago are going back to work after
the steel industry has stripped many jobs in that area.Will probably purchase
as soon as the Explorer is available.

My only question is why would you buy an SUV with FWD? If you tow you need RWD.

I wondered the same thing for a long time but then I realized down south, city-dwellers don't need 4WD. No snow, no off-roading and very few owners actually tow. Ford's research showed only 15% of Explorer owners tow (a mere .04% towed more than 5000lbs) and even less took them off-road. To these buyers, it's a people and stuff hauler, nothing more, so why pay 2K extra and get slightly less MPG for 4WD and towing ability you'll never use? I work with multiple people who drive mid-large SUVs only because they like the space. One of the recent reviews on the 2011 Explorer hit the nail on the head when they said "there are many buyers who think they need the space and utility but really don't". I'm one of those buyers ;)

I'm not an off-roader but live in Iowa where we get enough snow to justify 4WD. Some winters are light (so far this year, knock on wood) and some winters I swear I'm living in Canada (last year was #2 for the history books).

I am going to respectfully disagree with what I have been reading. First I bought my first X in 1990 a Sport, it now has 33s and 6-inch lift and is a very capable on off road vehicle. I bought a 98 Ranger 4x4 replaced it with a 04 Ranger Level II. I bought an 05 X which I still have. We had a 96 Mustang which was replaced with a 2010 Mustang, and believe that the Mustang may be the last for I will buy. I believe that I am a red white and blue oval. But I feel that Ford has turned its back on me as a customer.

I am a civil engineer and drive on the dirt as many days as I dont. I am an off road enthusist so I drive off road just for fun. I have no intrest in buying a 150, except for the Raptor.

The 05 X is very limited in its off road ability. It is too big and heavy. It is fine for gravel roads and smooth fire roads. It is as close to a minivan as I am willing to get. It has very limited "utility" use. I would not take the X onto the jobsites that I take my Level II Ranger. The Ranger has handled the difficult terrain without issues.

Now Ford in their infiniate wisdom has decided not to make vehicles that I would buy. I believe that the popularity of the Explorer was in people that saw people like me and decided that I want to be like them.

The new Explorer is a minivan that is intended to to be purchased by soccer moms. It is not a man's man's truck. The utility has been taken out. It should not even have the name Explorer. I am in need of a new vehicle, but I would not even consider a new Explorer, because Ford has not considered me in their new design. I know that they build what they think will sell. But they will not sell to me.

First, the F150 has gone down-hill. From being a working man's companion to a street-hugging-pavement-lover truck. Thats why ford did the Raptor to try to gain some off-road market, but if you spend $40-50K on a truck, you're not likely to take it off-road. Besides these new trucks have so much electronics.

Well said.
Ford did many surveys with the new explorer. Many wanted off-road capability, but never would take it off road. So this is the "best of both worlds". Many people who do off-road will just be heading on a dirt/gravel trail to a camp site or a lake.
We that do serious off-roading are what, 1% of the explorer market, if they lose 100,000 customers, but gain another 120,000 customers (over-exagerrated numbers), what loss is that to them?
Ford's got the Bronco still in their plans, but if its ever released is a whole other topic. The only real off-roader is the Wrangler, but even thats going more street-oriented.

I have a question on the new explorer; does anyone know the weight of the 2011 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been looking at the Traverse because the 2010 X was being out done. It was old and the design was old news. Lousy mileage. Now that the 2011 X is catching my attention. Some are concerned about the front wheel drive, but if you get the 4wd, would you be able to use it towing? I don't think it's like the old 4wd. If your towing large, then you really don't need the X, you need the Expedition. I have a 98 Expedition and when I tow large, I sure wouldn't want it behind an X. Nice to see ford finallly changing the X. Looking forward to a test drive. In reference to being able to go four wheeling, the larger audiance is the grocery getter and soccer mom not wanting a van. Don't forget the notherners in the winter. It's easier to drive on slick roads with the front wheel drive. Ford knows who they need to target to keep in business, they just proved they know what their doing. Bravo Ford! I hope if I decide on the X, it does as well as the 98 Expedition.

Back