• Register Today It's free!

2016 2.3 throttle hesitation

Tugboater

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer limited 4wd
My wife's 2016 explorer limited 4wd with the 2.3 ecoboost (60k)hesitates while excellerating sometimes and is sporadic at idle sometimes not all the time. It does not throw a code, guys at LOOKOUT FORD in morehead city, NC say they're clueless as well as Ford so far like it's the first time they ever heard of it. Ford had recommended we change the fuel purge valve so they're doing it now but isn't covered by warranty This car is a nightmare already rebuilt the tranny. Heated seat went out with a "bumper to bumper" warranty and wasn't covered. I'm super concerned because it's my wife's car and she's carrying my children. Someone please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:
One of the issues with the 2016 Explorer was the throttle body. 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems Although you say you did get any trouble code, there is also this one; 2016 FWD 3.5 N/A (wrench error message power train)at Dealer/throttle body
I'm guessing that when you mentioned the " bumper to bumper" warranty that was original factory warranty? If so, it may be for the same reason the ESP didn't cover another member's heated seat issue. If it was the heating element that had to be replaced, I'm guessing that they include that item as being under "upholstery" since the element is part of the seat cushion. Upholstery isn't covered
From the Warranty Guide;
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum :wave:
One of the issues with the 2016 Explorer was the throttle body. 2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems Although you say you did get any trouble code, there is also this one; 2016 FWD 3.5 N/A (wrench error message power train)at Dealer/throttle body
I'm guessing that when you mentioned the " bumper to bumper" warranty that was original factory warranty? If so, it may be for the same reason the ESP didn't cover another member's heated seat issue. If it was the heating element that had to be replaced, I'm guessing that they include that item as being under "upholstery" since the element is part of the seat cushion. Upholstery isn't covered
From the Warranty Guide;
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.

Peter
As a last ditch effort I'm going to change the throttle body if they can't tell me Anything. On the heated seat deal they only replaced the bottom of the seat not the top half so it still wouldn't work lol.

The heating element is only in the seat cushion. I believe the fan directs the warm air to the seatback. It could be a wiring issue. Hopefully they checked that there was power to the element before replacing the seat cushion.

Peter

The heating element is only in the seat cushion. I believe the fan directs the warm air to the seatback. It could be a wiring issue. Hopefully they checked that there was power to the element before replacing the seat cushion.

Peter
From my experiences they just contact a Ford rep and do as they're told. Doesn't seem to be any room for free thinking, apparently it's too costly.

Well, its getting better all the time.... Wife picked it up today after they replaced the fuel purge valve, and it repeated the same symptoms 2x with out any lights coming on. And now she claims her steering wheel lighting and the cup holder/ floor board illumination has quit working since she picked it up. You cant make this crap up. The dealership people are OK, im sure theyre just doing what Ford tells them but this car has been a nightmare since day one. It was bought in Virginia CPO, if they cant fix this problem am i subject to any Lemon Laws?

I don't believe there is any connection between the steering wheel button lighting and the cupholder/floor lighting which is called Ambient Lighting. Have you checked the ambient lighting setting to make sure it has not been turned OFF? If the steering wheel buttons are not lit, are the buttons on the doors (lock, window and mirror adjustment) lit?

Peter

The lighting issue appears to be my wife's mistake

Back