2023 Explorer Leak, Electrical Problem, and Overall Disappointment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fords4EVA

Reaction score
City, State
USA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Limited 4WD 301A
After waiting months to receive my 2023 Explorer due to the 360 Camera recall I finally signed the papers in October 2023.

Not even 3 months later and I am having issues. I opened the driver door yesterday to a giant puddle of water in the footwell. No windows or anything were left open and I never drove it through water. I sopped it up, used a wet vac, and even aired the car out. It drove fine last night. I tried to drive the car today and was greeted with 4 errors on the dashboard:

Steering Assist Fault Service Requested
Hill Start Assist Not Available
Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
Service AdvanceTrac

The car also runs after shutting it off and removing the key so I called Roadside Assistance. My dealer which I have been a loyal customer of 14 years (family even longer) is closed due to flooding in the area and won't reopen until Tuesday the earliest so Roadside Assistance towed me to the next nearest dealer. I called before it was towed, gave the service rep the issues, and he said it may be a problem with the panoramic vista roof drain and they would look at it this afternoon. Fine. I called once the tow service confirmed it arrived and couldn't speak with the same person as before because he was "doing paperwork," but this new person assured me the car arrived. I called a 3rd time before service closed today since I had not received any updates and spoke with the original representative. He said he received a tow with "electrical problems" and needed to know more about the issue. I went over it all again and he finally connected I was the same person that had called this morning. IDK where the disconnect was or how many 2023 Explorers with 300 miles were towed in. SMH

The representative told me the "Master Diagnostic Tech" will be in Monday and look at it. I was a little annoyed because it was towed in 9am this morning, but what can I do? The service representative then informed me it COULD cost me $1,375 just to diagnose the issue. I was flabbergasted. I said the car is less than 3 months old, under warranty, and has ~300 miles on it. I also said this was never mentioned to me when I called earlier in the day. Had I known, I would have never had it towed there. I told him don't even touch the thing because I refuse to put a dime in this car for what is most likely a manufacturing defect or problem from sitting in Chicago partially built for months. I will have it towed back to my dealer once it reopens sometime next week since they would never treat me like this. The representative said it would most likely be covered, but in the event it isn't, he wanted to be transparent. I again told him not to do anything with the car and he said the service manager would call me Monday morning.

What would you do? I am hoping my dealer will reopen by Tuesday, but there is no guarantee because I have more heavy rain coming. IDK if I should listen to what the service manager of the other dealer has to say and then escalate with Ford Corporate (I think this is the right number 1‭(800) 392-3673‬)?

I am just at a loss for words. I am so disappointed in my purchase experience and this entire vehicle. I sadly think Ford lost a loyal customer after this nonsense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only reason they would ask you to pay (in my opinion) is if they suspected the vehicle had flooding. You mentioned heavy flooding in your area. Are you sure they are not assuming the vehicle flooded?

If it's due to rainwater dripping down, it probably affected some control modules. If that's honestly what happened, then it does seem it should be a warranty issue. If you are not satisfied with current dealer, take it to another. Another option is to ask for the area rep to review your case. They can often make independent decisions and help both parties.

Usually, water in a footwell is an indication of a moonroof drain issue but it rarely results in any additional issues.

Peter

I feel your Pain and regret not driving mine into the dealer and walking home. I wish it was different, I never expected the trans Mucking up on day 2 and getting Jerked on (off) by ford. Ford Corperate number might as well be a cable company answering service. I never screamed the F word as loud and as many times.

Check your lemon law in your state and make a decision before it's too late if you continue to have problems.

Only reason they would ask you to pay (in my opinion) is if they suspected the vehicle had flooding. You mentioned heavy flooding in your area. Are you sure they are not assuming the vehicle flooded?

If it's due to rainwater dripping down, it probably affected some control modules. If that's honestly what happened, then it does seem it should be a warranty issue. If you are not satisfied with current dealer, take it to another. Another option is to ask for the area rep to review your case. They can often make independent decisions and help both parties.
The thing is they didn't even look at the car yet. The service rep told me the tow guy said it had "electrical problems" and needed me to elaborate on what was happening. It just felt like bait and switch because the same service rep seemed so empathetic ensuring me it would be looked at in the morning then said hours later he didn't realize the car towed in was mine, hadn't looked at it, and now it may cost $1,375 to diagnose when nothing had changed.

The dealer where I purchased it from had to actually close due to flooding (moved it's inventory and everything). It's a town over from me. Thankfully the town I live in is ok. I can show the dealer it was towed to the picture of the water I saw. It was only the driver footwell that had water and I would hope that can be seen based on the condition of the car (when they actually look at it).

Is there an easy way to locate the area rep? IDK when my dealer will be opening back up. They said the earliest would be Tuesday when I called Friday morning. I had hoped having the car towed in on Friday would have had it diagnosed sooner than Tuesday, but I probably should have just let it sit in the driveway malfunctioning.

Usually, water in a footwell is an indication of a moonroof drain issue but it rarely results in any additional issues.

Peter
That's all I am hoping it is. It had snowed (I cleaned the car including the roof and used it) then rained heavily a day or two later so I assume it was just too much for the vehicle. It's rained on it before with no problem. I just don't want some intermittent problem where I am surprised with water every couple months. It poured again last night while the car was on the dealer lot. I warned them it could happen again and he said he would try to park it inside. Who knows.

I feel your Pain and regret not driving mine into the dealer and walking home. I wish it was different, I never expected the trans Mucking up on day 2 and getting Jerked on (off) by ford. Ford Corperate number might as well be a cable company answering service. I never screamed the F word as loud and as many times.

Check your lemon law in your state and make a decision before it's too late if you continue to have problems.
UGH I am sorry about your transmission! I really think build quality has dropped significantly. I lease and never had any issues up until some minor things in my 2020 Escape after owning it for 1.5 years. I shrugged it off since 2020 was so crazy.

Thankfully NJ has pretty good Lemon Law protection if it comes to that.

Just wanted to give an update on my car. I was able to speak with the service manager of my dealer and they towed the Explorer back when they reopened from the flooding.

It was the panoramic vista roof drain like @peterk9 mentioned. They said it was kinked and installed wrong from the factory. That was replaced. They also replaced the steering rack and power steering control module and battery. $0, all covered by the warranty as expected.

I got a call 2/5 from 1-866-631-3788 asking if I had my car back and they wanted to follow-up with me on my “case,” but I missed the call while I was working. I never spoke with anyone at Ford Corporate so I guess they reached out since I had all this warranty work done on a 3 month old vehicle? I am not sure what this department is so I will try calling back tomorrow to see what they say.

Well my car did not stay dry for long! There is significant water in the driver footwell again and it's back with my dealer. I called the 1-800 that reached out to me and opened a new case. I was informed my dealer put in a “hotline call.” I inquired about what that meant and basically Ford told me the dealer has done what it can and is reaching out for support from Ford for the issue.

My car has now been in the service department for 20+ cumulative days for the same issue which could be considered a lemon under NJ state law. Ford has also opened a case to look into buying it back. My case manager said both cases will be worked simultaneously.

I really loved the car when I received it, but after seeing the electrical issues from the previous leak and the fact that it corroded the steering rack I am concerned for the overall safety and reliability of the vehicle. I do hope Ford will take it back and let me swap it for another Explorer.

My Ford case manager followed-up with me Friday morning. No determination on my buy back yet. She said I should hopefully hear Monday or Tuesday.

My dealer called me Friday afternoon to come pick up my Explorer because after investigation they believed it was just residual water... from 3 weeks prior. I assured them it had dried out and then significant water entered again, but no. They said they took the carpet up and "dried it completely." I went to the dealer Friday after work, lifted up the floor mat, and it was still wet. I made the service representative feel it and he confirmed he "felt the moisture." The door seals also look like they were ripped off and put back on very poorly. They are actually buckling. IDK how they could try to give me the car back in this condition. The car was checked back into service. I am supposed to hear from the service manager again Monday since he wasn't there when I arrived Friday. Today is now the 30th day my car is in service (and counting). It is also the third time it has been checked into service for the same issue.

I called my case manager when I got home and could not reach her. I got another representative and asked for a supervisor. I informed her I wanted my case notes updated to reflect the car was not picked up and is still exhibiting the same issue since the final buy back determination has not yet been made.

I just want a safe and reliable vehicle. If Ford still doesn't have a decision this week or declines the buy back I feel I need to seek out a Lemon Law attorney.

My Ford case manager followed-up with me Friday morning. No determination on my buy back yet. She said I should hopefully hear Monday or Tuesday.

My dealer called me Friday afternoon to come pick up my Explorer because after investigation they believed it was just residual water... from 3 weeks prior. I assured them it had dried out and then significant water entered again, but no. They said they took the carpet up and "dried it completely." I went to the dealer Friday after work, lifted up the floor mat, and it was still wet. I made the service representative feel it and he confirmed he "felt the moisture." The door seals also look like they were ripped off and put back on very poorly. They are actually buckling. IDK how they could try to give me the car back in this condition. The car was checked back into service. I am supposed to hear from the service manager again Monday since he wasn't there when I arrived Friday. Today is now the 30th day my car is in service (and counting). It is also the third time it has been checked into service for the same issue.

I called my case manager when I got home and could not reach her. I got another representative and asked for a supervisor. I informed her I wanted my case notes updated to reflect the car was not picked up and is still exhibiting the same issue since the final buy back determination has not yet been made.

I just want a safe and reliable vehicle. If Ford still doesn't have a decision this week or declines the buy back I feel I need to seek out a Lemon Law attorney.

You don't need an attorney for a buyback. Go through the BBB autoline as stated in the manual and they will handle your BB request. They typically go pretty smoothly because it's pretty black and white if you meet your states requirements for a lemon.

You don't need an attorney for a buyback. Go through the BBB autoline as stated in the manual and they will handle your BB request. They typically go pretty smoothly because it's pretty black and white if you meet your states requirements for a lemon.
Thank you! I didn't realize this was in the manual, but it's good to know. Maybe I would have heard sooner if I started weeks ago with the BBB autoline, but I did hear from Ford today that my buy back has been approved. A RAV agent is going to email me options in 3-5 days.

I am just happy relief is on the way and that I have the option to get a safe and reliable vehicle. My Explorer is still in the service department being worked on.

Back