3rd Gen Tire Sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Tire Sizes

So here is a thread for anyone wondering on tires. I got 265/70/17's on my 2003 Ford Explorer and there is plenty of room and it doesn't rub at all, infact you could fit even bigger tires so here ya go...

Tires: Toyo Open Country A/T's - 265/70/17R on stock Ford Rims.

681786372_l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thread.

I have 295/40/20's on my 2002 on all for corners and lowered with Eibach springs 1.6'' Front and 1'' in the rear.

Have never rubbed under any circumstances. Turning and very packed.

Xsidefar1.jpg

Jer, looks MUCH better than stock.

awd, what backspacing you running on those rims. I dont think 295 will fit on the stock spacing

Jer said:
So here is a thread for anyone wondering on tires. I got 265/70/17's on my 2003 Ford Explorer and there is plenty of room and it doesn't rub at all, infact you could fit even bigger tires so here ya go...

681786372_l.jpg

Nice pic, I was going to ask the question about that size, and you answered it.

What brand tire did you put on your explorer? I'm looking at either Nitto's or Bf Goodrich TKO's. They both make a 265/70/R17, since they will fit stock.

SuRrEaLNJ said:
Jer, looks MUCH better than stock.

awd, what backspacing you running on those rims. I dont think 295 will fit on the stock spacing

No back spacers at all. CEC WHEELS just chose the right offset. I dont recall the offset but if you would like I can dig it up. I was a little scared when I ordered them to tell you the truth but they told me to trust them. Glad I did. Its a perfect fit, its even tucked in, doesnt stick out at all.

moving this to tire/wheels

-Drew

ps - this is good information for the newer model owners! :thumbsup:

ExplorerDMB said:
moving this to tire/wheels

-Drew

ps - this is good information for the newer model owners! :thumbsup:

Do you guys think maybe changing the Title of the thread? Jer? To something like "Tire sizes for 3rd Gen Explorers". Just a thought.

Well I changed the name but it still got moved to wheels and tires. Oh well. Anyways, they are Toyo's Open Country A/T's. I was going to opt for some Black Rims but since they have such a weird Bolt Pattern and front drive offset its hard for a selection of rims. Like not dubs or any of that but like American Racing Mojaves or something like that. Oh well, I have something in mind haha but i don have the funding.

awdrocks, If its not to much trouble to dig it up could you. Im really curious what it takes to fir a tire that size in those wells.

I would have sent that to you in a PM, but ya need to clear some room in that box of yours :p

SuRrEaLNJ said:
awdrocks, If its not to much trouble to dig it up could you. Im really curious what it takes to fir a tire that size in those wells.

I would have sent that to you in a PM, but ya need to clear some room in that box of yours :p

OOPPS.. Ok cleared it up.

No prob ill get you those numbers.

Looks **** hot, my X due for arrival this week is fitted with 245/60/17's. This is the info I've been wanting to hear, thanks heaps guys. Down under the 275's are standard fitment to Landcruiser/Patrols.
Scotty

Anyone know if 33x12.50x16's will fit. or do I have to opt for 32x11.50's

awdrocks said:
Good thread.

I have 295/40/20's on my 2002 on all for corners and lowered with Eibach springs 1.6'' Front and 1'' in the rear.

Have never rubbed under any circumstances. Turning and very packed.

pic22newest.jpg

how much extra parking space do you have. it looks to be on the wall and gate. love the setup!

Thanks... about 1/2'' on both sides... tight squeeze.

SuRrEaLNJ said:

Ok I found my invoice and it didnt have the offset. But I called CEC and they said its 18mm front / 18mm rears.

ok yall, read thru and didnt see anyone that has an 03 sport. i am in need of tires and have 255/70/16 current. looking at 275/70/16. i dont know if these will clear and wondering if anyone has run the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO tires and how they do. I use the truck for driving to work and light light trail rides.

275/70/16s will be fine. You shouldn't rub at all

A lot of people run Duelers - do a search or look in the product review section for reviews. A/Ts are the best for light off-roaders/highway driving.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks drew. this will cerently help with my choice of tires. will post pics of the truck when i get back home.

Back