4x4 Electronic Shift Control Module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Electronic Shift Control Module

Loganjt19

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4x4
Hello all, this is my first post. I just inherited a 1991 4x4. It was a family members and I am now looking to do some restorations to it. One of the first things I realized was that the 4x4 doesn't work, it doesn't light up and I hear no click whatsoever, upon doing some digging I discovered all the possible issues. I checked fuses and everything is fine,

I checked the control module in the rear and after flicking the switch with the key in the on position and the 5 and 8 pins unplugged I get no led light up at all. Does this mean that the module is broken, or it is getting no power to it at all? I'm not sure how to test to see if it is the module, or the pig tail pin connecting to it, and obviously I dont wanna buy the part until I'm sure it actually is the module. Is it common for it to not light up at all if it's broken? I've read of people saying that it lights up but doesn't blink at all but this just doesn't light up at all. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this thread for info on that 4x4 Troubleshooting guide
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks, I am very sure it is the module now.Do you have any clue how to remove it? The first Phillip's screw came off fine , but the second one is deep in the back behind the cutout for the fender well, I cant tell where it is nor do I know how to get to it with a screwdriver. Any ideas?

Did you check for power and ground? On a 20yr old vehicle it wouldn't take much to have a bad ground.

Did you check for power and ground? On a 20yr old vehicle it wouldn't take much to have a bad ground.
I admittedly did not, stupid on my part, but I actually pulled a control module from a junker today and put it in. It's now clicking when I click the 4x4 so I guess I lucked out there. Still no 4x4 so it has to be the transfer case motor right?

Correct.. I would remove the shift motor on the transfer case to see if the plastic stop is shredded. Use the info in the 4x4 troubleshooting guide to easily re-sync the motor otherwise you could spend all day trying to get it aligned in 2H.

I also just inherited a 1992 Explorer, and it has the same issue of no 4x4, and the light on the dashboard doesn't light up. The manual I have has almost no information about the module except for some references to it on a wiring schematic. Can you tell me where this module is located, and what it looks like?

I also just inherited a 1992 Explorer, and it has the same issue of no 4x4, and the light on the dashboard doesn't light up. The manual I have has almost no information about the module except for some references to it on a wiring schematic. Can you tell me where this module is located, and what it looks like?
The link to the 4x4 trouble shooting guide on Post #6 has lots of information and pictures of the various components and locations. Is this what you are looking for?

The link to the 4x4 trouble shooting guide on Post #6 has lots of information and pictures of the various components and locations. Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks for the reply, I didn't notice that link before. That has exactly what I need.

One quick thing though. Once you put the shift motor back in, you will probably have to reset the 4x4 control module in the rear back panel too. Just have the key on, and hit the white button on the bottom. if the red light still does not come on then you have a bad fuse\relay, or the module is bad. But my money in on the shift motor.

Back