4x4 & low 4x4 flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 & low 4x4 flashing

Update:
Found #26 fuse, had a blown 20amp. Book shows it should be 10amps.
Replaced with 10 amp, then went out 4 wheeling in the snow.
No flashing dash lights, Dome lights work, power windows work.
Hopefully one of the relays that I replaced by the gas pedal
was bad & blew the fuse.
Thanks for all the posts, lot of reading,but they help me repair mine :-}.
R146rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hade trouble with the fuse by the door and one under the hood in front of brake pedal

Update: Two days later,
#26 fuse popped again. No power windows,dome light or 4wd.
Look like I am going to have to hunt for a short since I already replaced the three relays.
2000 Explorer
R146rick

Check your head/dome light switch

Thank you 15265 for the reply,
Been looking up and printing the wiring diagrams on my 2000 Explorer.
Seems like everyone & his brother connects to the #26 10 amp fuse: First the
Battery saver relay then off to everyone else dome light, windows, etc.
I will check the Light switch. I see your in Ohio, me too. With the new Ohio law wipers on /Lights on I wore it out, LOL.
Will keep posted, now out into the cold
R146rick

Pull dash trim panel, checked for shorts with meter found none.
Checked all the relays above the gas pedal,Ok.
Unplugged the Headlight switch fuse blew, unplugged Dimmer,fuse did not blow
:)
Replaced the Dimmer.
Thanks for the reply on the headLight/dome light switch.
Hopefully this is it. Drove around for about 10 miles, Playing with the 4 WD switch, Dome
Light and the Windows. Fuse did not blow :) and no Flashing 4x4 dash lights.
R146rick

where did you get the dimmer?

Total a 2000 sport explorer last Feb, Stripped it down before getting rid of it.
That's where the relays came from that I replaced. Saved what i Could that would fit
on this Explorer,since it a 2000 too.
Note since last post I went out a couple times and started the explorer up. Still ok.
R146rick

I bought the relays on e bay but the switch at ford was very big $

Blowing #26 fuse on 2000 explorer

Bad new,went out this morning to check it out.
Blown #26 again, No power windows, dome lites, or 4X4 and Hi / Low dash light flashing 6 times codes.
Temp related? Was up to 32 in the garage yesterday while I was working on it.
History so Far:
Swapped out all the relays in the Black Box by the gas pedal,FOAB-14B192-AA (replaced one) ,F57B14B192-AA (replaced Five) and the Drimmer switch in the dash.
Fuse #26 is blowing as soon as I put it in (Ign switch is off).
Use Testlight first no current on output side of fuse slot, then checked for ground with Ohm meter from the output side slot nothing.
Any ideas? anyone?
Is the Generic Electronic Module(GEM) showing on the wiring diagrams controlling all the relays the main module under the hood with the big harness? Courtesy lamp diagram also calls it a Central Timer Module(CTM). #26 fuse connects to posts # 8(courtesy lamps) #12(interior lamp relay) and #17 (accessory delay relay).

I'm having about the same problem on a 2000 explorer and have another thread called blows #26 fuse. Hopefully we figure it out I have a feeling its the same problem :(

I have the same issue here, i have replaced the fuse and then it blowed sparks and checked it and it detecting that I have a short, have you found where to even start to look where this would come from or where to look where the wires run from and too, italso has killed my inside lights and power windows...

Built Ford Tought:
On 2000 explorer #26 fuse powers Battery Saver Relay then branches off from there.
Acc Delay relay, One Touch Relay, Interior Lamp Relay, Drimmer Relay etc.
Wired from fuse to Relay Module (Located above the gas pedal,behind radio).
Test for Shorts from the Relay Module.
Go to thread (blows #26 fuse started by malawiman) that where I ended up and with all the help from budwick, malawiman, 2000streetrod I was able to fix mine Saturday. (Sun Visor was blowing
the #26 fuse).
R146rick

Yesterday evening i started my '99 explorer v6 sohc and i saw the horrible 4x4 high and low lights flashing.. :(
- lost auto 4x4
- lost 4x4 high
- lost 4x4 low
- it does go into the low range when i switch to 4x4 low (except 4x4 doesnt work..) (can hear the relay switching).

- lost power windows
- lost power sun roof
- interior lights work
- sunvisor lights work

- pulled and checked all fuses one by one
- fuse #4 (maxi fuse) in the power distibution box (under the hood) was blown
got a new fuse (could find only one, all garages were closed), put the fuse in,
fuse immediately blew.
- disconnected negative battery cable from battery last night, reattached it this morning, started the ex, 4x4 lights started flashing again, no effect :(.

Gonna get some more fuses after work.
Anybody know if this fuse (#4 power distrib. box under the hood) has something to do with 4x4 ?

Thanks

Don't know if this will help, its a TSB for these symptoms for years 97-98. The chafing wiring harness would be a good bet. Unfortunately it does'nt give a location of the chafing. The TSB has a large list of tests also. If you have a library card many local libraries have a link to ebsco host which has the TSB's and manual in the auto repair section on line:
TSB 98-13-19
ISSUE
A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
• Power windows
• Interior lights
• Rear wiper (if equipped)
• Moon roof (if equipped)
• 4x4 system (if equipped)

may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused
by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay
or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible
chafing of vehicle wire harness.

Intermitent Flashing 4X4 Lamps and No Power Window

Looks like I'm in the hunt, too with my 95 Explorer XLT.

I have the same problem; flashing 4X4 lamps and no power window operation. However, mine is intermittent, which leads one to suspect something other than an undersized fuse. The funny thing is that when the power windows work the lamps do not flash. What's the common denominator?

I haven't started to investigate but will bird-dog the relays. I'm worried about the chafed wiring possibility.

Scott
1995 Explorer XLT
White

After son raised all 4 power windows at same time, 4WD lights started flashing 6 times and power windows no longer worked. Replaced the large 30A maxi fuse relay under hood which was fried. Was in position 4 for the power windows. Fixed the problem.

1999 Explorer XLT 4WD

My problem is a bit different than what I have seen here so far. My 98 Xplr XLT was broken into and the stereo stolen. Very down and dirty as the thief simply pulled the top of the trim bezel back and broke it off where the bottom is attached with screws. They left the switches for the rear wiper and fog lights but took the 4x4 switch with the bezel and stereo.This is when I started getting the flashing lights. Replaced the bezel and 4x4 selecter switch. Still have the flashing lights but the transfer case goes into 4wd by itself now. I can hear and feel it engage and disengage when I cycle the switch but it soon goes back into 4wd. After reading through the previous postings I have some things I am going to check out but would really like to hear from anybody who has had a similar problem.

Back