Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Sounds super Beautiful. I wanna cam mine so bad now.:p:

5.0 Explorer headers

I am looking for a lower cost alternative to the Torque Monster headers.

I have a 1997 5.0 explorer AWD and as we all know the engine compartment has very little room for headers.

Does anyone have experience with Ranger swap headers on a 5.0 Explorer?

Advanace Adapters: A bit strange that on the collector side it appears to be a clamp fit. 1 5/8"s

Shorties
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-717044/

Mid/Long tube: so much of equal length headers
http://www.atlas-tc.com/pdf/712/717044a.pdf

Hedman: 1 1/2" - a bit small if you run anything beyond stock.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-89500/

Thanks!

I am looking for a lower cost alternative to the Torque Monster.... !

Good luck. Outside of getting a custom set made (spendy), the only option I've ever seen outside of replacement manifolds are FMS headers and they're not much better than stock manifolds, if at all.

TMH are worth it to me. I waited several years to get a set and am glad I did. No regrets whatsoever.

You are AWD....NONE of those options will work.

Sorry.

TMH's are spendy, but between the additional mileage gained, and the power...they do eventually pay for themselves.

Ryan

So you guys with magnaflow mufflers, do you have the 14 inch or the 24 inch? I am looking at the dual 2 1/2 inlet with the single 3inch outlet, but not sure on the length. I want something with a little rumble to it, but not the loud "look at me" sound.

So you guys with magnaflow mufflers, do you have the 14 inch or the 24 inch? I am looking at the dual 2 1/2 inlet with the single 3inch outlet, but not sure on the length. I want something with a little rumble to it, but not the loud "look at me" sound.

A longer muffler of the same design will be less loud. The internal volume of the muffler is important, it's hard to quiet the exhaust with a tiny muffler. I think that's why the stock 302 Explorers have a noticeable sound with the one stock muffler. Two mufflers would be quieter than one of the same size.

That's why I'm planning to use a pair of 2.5" inlet with 3" outlet mufflers, for less sound. Then I can cut the rear cats and use high flow front cats, a bigger engine, and boost, but still not end up too loud. ;)

A longer muffler of the same design will be less loud. The internal volume of the muffler is important, it's hard to quiet the exhaust with a tiny muffler. I think that's why the stock 302 Explorers have a noticeable sound with the one stock muffler. Two mufflers would be quieter than one of the same size.

Thanks, that actually makes sense.

I have a AP exerator XS2588 SS dual 2/12 inlet 3 outlet TM headers No rear cats 3 inch tail tipe out the back like stock. It is 22 inches long fit good. some drone at 60mph makes noise when u step on it, I mite put a resanator to quite it down a 14inch would be way to load for, me they are cheap i paid $50

Just got a Magnaflow dual 2.5" in/single 2.5" out with a Magnaflow tip installed a couple weeks ago. Provides great sound, not loud at idle but when you get on it she sounds mean.

Just got a Magnaflow dual 2.5" in/single 2.5" out with a Magnaflow tip installed a couple weeks ago. Provides great sound, not loud at idle but when you get on it she sounds mean.

X2. Except I went with the 3" single out. Love it and not too loud.

So my plan is headers, no cats, borla xr-1 racing muffler, and a single 2.75 tail pipe. How do you guys think that will work? And how much would a decent shop charge for just the 2.75 inch tail pipe to be mandrel bent?

Heres a vid of my exhaust on my ranger.

stock headers, all 4 cats, to a 2 1/4 inch pipe to a 4 inch tip.

I got some info for anyone that wants it? But the things you call high flow cats is a money making scam all cats are straight through they don't flow no more then stock. Taking some off yes may help but as far as high flow, you spend more money on them then what it is worth. I have too friends that have the same motor, there exhaust is a little different as far as one has high flow cat,one has one stock cat. They both had their trucks on the Dino and found that they both flow the exact same. They do restrict when they are old and junk,

I got some info for anyone that wants it? But the things you call high flow cats is a money making scam all cats are straight through they don't flow no more then stock. Taking some off yes may help but as far as high flow, you spend more money on them then what it is worth. I have too friends that have the same motor, there exhaust is a little different as far as one has high flow cat,one has one stock cat. They both had their trucks on the Dino and found that they both flow the exact same. They do restrict when they are old and junk,

+1 for the info
But I buy the high flow cat because they are alot cheaper than buying oem cats and just plain easier for me to use..

heres my little contribution

98 sport
TMH
stock pipes until you get past the first set of cats. had to cut the rear cats to make stock 5L pipe fit
flowmaster series 40 duel in, single out, with 2 1/2 tail pipe, no resonator.
also have a 87-93 mustang stock cam, and not the explorer one.

first part was stock with muffler, and v6

I think that they are exactly the same as the stock ones, just replacements. So they would be just as restrictive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that they are exactly the same as the stock ones, just replacements. So they would be just as restrictive.

Well with the cast, over the other ones, they don't have the straw effect that the older ones have. I have the non cast ones right now.

Back