5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

I could remove the SOHC drivetrain and replace it with a 5.0L drivertrain in a LONG weekend, probably a 3 day weekend would be best, the third day is needed to fill with fluids, test for leaks, check for problems, codes, weld up exhaust, etc :)

ONLY because Ford made this same truck (99%) with the 5.0K in there so its 100% bolt up ordeal

Getting the ENTIRE donor saves you money, time, and alot of frustration NO MATTER WHAT, but its not always possible

Currently I hve a 88 BII with a 97.5 GT-40 P, a 96 XLT with the GT-40 and an 02 trac with a SOHC and 114K miles

Someday I will have another 5.0L truck, I almost want the auto trans to go out or the timing tensioners to give me an excuse!

What happened to the other two rangers you converted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

The grinding noise was the dust shield rubbing on the rotor. Glad it was the first thing I checked.

Got the exhaust installed today. Flowmasters. What can I say. I liked the sound in my last Ranger and this sounds close to the same. I had them run two pipes out the side at the back. I never had that config before, so I thought I would do something different. I had them use the stainless pipes from my old Mustang exhaust for the tips.

My temp was reading a strong H after a short period of running and my radiator was acting like it wasn't trying hard and I didn't see a lot of flow. So...I hooked up my SCT II and did some datalogging. Sure enough, it is the gauge. The ECT got to about 196 and the thermostat opened up. Soon as I took it on the road (no fan yet) the temps stayed around 192. ST gauge might be expecting something different than the '96 sensor is giving.

I am getting a darn VSS error though. Datalogging showed no speed at the VSS. Oooops. The speedo works and the trans seems to shift fine so I thought I was set. I will check again. Maybe I need to join the wires back. These manuals on CD that I have are not the greatest for figuring out the wiring.

Won't be able to do much more this weekend though.

What happened to the other two rangers you converted?

The first one was an '88 that I did in the mid 90's. I had an almost no mileage '93 302 HO out of a wreck and a '93 Cobra T5 for the trans. The body was rotting pretty bad though and I liked the '90 body style better, so some years later I sold the '88 and did a '91. I did another Mustang drivetrain, but this time with an AODE. I used a Baumannator to control the trans and stuck with the A9L for the motor. I loved what the Baumann shift kit and computer allowed me to do with that trans.

Well...fast forward years later, to about 6 years ago. We had our son Ryan and I needed more room. I traded it on a Lincoln LS.

I did a 3rd Ranger for a friend. It was a '92 and we did another Mustang 5.0 with a T5.

I learned alot about the EECIVs and wiring with these projects and did some custom programming/tuning when I supercharged my '95 Mustang. I just can't live without a 302 for more than a year or so, I guess, as I have had one in something since about '85. (and usually one sitting in the garage as a spare. :))

While you are viewing this... It is probably a good time to say thanks. I have your project bookmarked on my desktop. Thanks to a few people who have done some projects and documented, it gave me some good info and motivation.

what series flowmasters did u get and do u got pics of the setup they did and be sure to post a sound clip of the exhaust as well

Well the guy who did the exhaust work didn't do the greatest job. That's what I get for not waiting for someone recommended. I asked for the equivalent to 2 chamber (I only know old school naming). ;) They are Flowmaster, but I don't know exactly what they are. They look and sound like what I expected though.

BTW, I found my VSS error. The 2001 harness does not have a ground run for the VSS. The hole is blank. I grounded the correct wire and all errors gone. Datalogging shows vehicle speed from all OBD II locations now. So separating the VSS at the engine harness connector was the correct answer to keeping both systems happy.

Other things found...temp sensor is different from 96 to 01. Different resistance ranges. Makes you think your truck is overheating by the time it hits 180 degrees. :) Oil sending unit wire is in different harness on '01. I have a tranny leak. CRAP! I'll bet it is the new front seal I put in. I probably fudged it putting the torque converter in. I couldn't just leave the old one in there... I hope I can live with the leak for a while as I do NOT want to pull the trans.

I started a website/blog. I will post it when I have some info in it for all of you.

Don

don do u got sound clip of the exhaust

That's good to know about the gauges. I think that the 95-97's used full range gauges, and 98+ basically shows ON/OFF readings. We see some oil pressure, but not how much. A different sender is used for the oil pressure, evidently by changing the sender the reading will move by pressure. I didn't know that the water temperature gauge also was different.

Make notes of these odd things between years, it may help a lot of others doing swaps later.

I got sick over the weekend and feel worse today, so I haven't done much! Must be allergies mixed with everything else. I did start the blog but I have a ways before I have it published! Will keep all posted and will even try to post an audio clip of my exhaust. :)

Update: Truck was down for a while. Had a major trans leak which turned out to be the front pump surface to the seal. After replacing the front pump and putting in a shift kit, I had all kinds of problems. I ended up putting in another transmission out of a '97. It is back on the road, but these 4r70w trannys are no fun stock. Hope to get some sound clips and get the blog or site going soon.

No errors from the computer and all seems well other than an exhaust leak. I believe it is the passenger header again, maybe the flanges are not quite true after my welding. Gauges all work perfectly, even though oil pressure is a complete idiot gauge.

City/hwy driving is about 16 to 17 mpg so far. Just got back from Crossville where I averaged 23 mpg at about 70 mph for 150 miles. If I can get closer to 20 with my daily drive, I will be happy. Pretty happy with the 23 though. Darn brick wall driving into the wind. :) Still running stock air box with paper filter too. Only thing not stock are the mufflers. Still running all cats.

That's good that it is drivable, it's much easier to work with it that way.

Get the truck lowered a little, a good low air dam helps, PCM tuning helps, with other stuff you read of hear.

any more updates on your build?

how the website coming along?

Great job. I dont know why ford didnt have a 5.0 as a factory engine option

Thanks Dan.

I haven't had much time to work on the site. I have had people ask me about the build and I just ask them to PM me for now for any help they might need. I really do want to get one up though.

It has been my daily driver since June now. I get 17 mpg with my daily commute of mixed city/hwy. Lowest was 16 and best was 23. I hit the 300,000 mile mark right at the Michigan state line driving up to see family this summer. I have about 304,000 on her now. It got north of 20 mpg for the I-75 trip. I don't remember exactly what it was, but not quite as good as 23.

No complaints on drivability. I think it would be nicer with 4.10's instead of the 3.73's for my drive though. Also, I am running the AWD. 2wd would be more efficient too. I do like the AWD so far. Really stable in the wet. I have not done any off-roading with it (other than some fancy parking at a few events).

It started snowing and staying on the ground last night and I thought I was going to be able to test the AWD, but no.....it melted. :)

That's good to hear, and I'm glad it didn't stick too.

do u got sound clips of ur flowmasters

sounds great

so you cant switch it out of awd to 2wd? it would be nice to

just like everybody else who replied to this thread, once the tranny or motor goes I will tackle this. It would be nice to add another vehicle with a 5.0L under the hood to the stable

You can swap out to 2wd. You would need a 2wd 4r70w and the correct driveshaft. I had the AWD setup and decided to keep it that way.

I am not the blogging type but started this earlier this year. Not sure if it will work for everybody. I added a couple of movie clips for the exhaust. Not the best things, but it is what I have for now.

http://www.carspace.com/blogs/ttbit/

In IE, it tries to run both videos at the same time.

http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.5ca5025d
http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.5ca50264

The two links above might work too.

sounds awesome ttbit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would someone please for the love of God post an exhaust clip before the server crashes? :D

Back