5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL. I think he probably read the whole thread and looked at how many times it was requested before I finally got something posted.

i think if i would do this, i would get the Advanced Adapter kit to use the sport tracs electric 1354 t-case with the 4R70W instead of using the Explorers AWD. Dont know what you would have to use for driveshafts tho. the kit costs a bit but after parting out the explorer parts car, you would make that all back.
http://advanceadapters.com/product/1805/50-8404.html

I dunno...the ST TC seems a little whimpy compared to the v8 unit...

i think if i would do this, i would get the Advanced Adapter kit to use the sport tracs electric 1354 t-case with the 4R70W instead of using the Explorers AWD. Dont know what you would have to use for driveshafts tho. the kit costs a bit but after parting out the explorer parts car, you would make that all back.
http://advanceadapters.com/product/1805/50-8404.html

The BW4406 is the transfer case to use for a 302/4R70W Explorer. That is a big TC and needs no high dollar conversion parts. I should finish mine soon to enjoy it instead of talking about it.

there is a certain 98 Ranger with the 5.0l, 4r70w and 4406 t case running around here somewheres

I put the AA adapter in my 88 BII so I have 5.0L 4r70w and bw1354E

in my 96 sploder I have 5.0L 4r70w and 4406M

I would never use that $600 advance adapter again, no way in hell
You see the problem is the adapter and output shaft are $550+ then you have to rebuild the 4r70w to install the output shaft, another $800-2000 then when something goes wrong with your 4r70w you are stuck rebuilding this unit, to fit your truck, otherwise you need to swap t case and driveshaft setups again.

I would rather run a dana 20 without expensive and internal parts required to adapt, spend the $$$ towards an Atlas... or best yet Stuff the 4406m under there

this way when your 4r70w has issues you can buy a new one, use a junk yard unit, or get a new core for building... you are not stuck with the expensive AA parts

Live and learn

I will be going 4406 in my Bronco II someday

LOL yup and even the message center, thats an amazing Ranger

I assume if you are doing or thinking of doing or have done a EFI 5.0L conversion and have internet access you have seen that Ranger

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

I don't know if I have seen that cardomain site he has before. I seem to remember seeing some of that truck. I had to comment on his thread. Talk about a nice capable driver truck.

Ditto on the Merry Christmas to all.

i have a 04 sport trac and i blew up my 4.0 and i am deff upgrading to a v8....how hard was the 5.0 to put in? was it the same motor mounts? how about the trans? any info about this swap would be amazing...how long did the swap take?

i have a 04 sport trac and i blew up my 4.0 and i am deff upgrading to a v8....how hard was the 5.0 to put in? was it the same motor mounts? how about the trans? any info about this swap would be amazing...how long did the swap take?

How hard depends on what equipment and experience you have. It took me awhile to learn to get around this beast to do everything, and I have done quite a few engine swaps in my time. It's pretty tight. That being said, you can use everything from Ford and it goes together. I had a donor v8 Explorer, like mentioned earlier, so it made it a lot easier and I saved a ton of money on little parts. I moved twice during this project, so it is hard to tell how long it took me. Depends how much time you have to throw at it. You need the v8 specific mount for the driver's side.

in for updates!

I have had some people PM me and am happy to share info. It would be nice to see another conversion out there. I need to get that darn site up. The ST is doing fine. The cold weather and slow people have hurt my gas mileage a little. I have been getting between 16 and 17 mpg which is mixed city/hwy. Much of it stop and go.

Added a BT Sony Head unit and finally completely bolted the center console back up. :) I guess I need to think about putting the A/C together next.

I drive this daily and then get in my '99 Cobra convertible and think, wth? My ST is tighter with 305,000 miles on it, it seems. It's probably that I expect less comfort from a truck, but not the case. The Explorer seats probably really help that.

How is the performance? I know it's not comparable to your Mustang Cobra but is it an substantial difference in the V6? Worth the trouble?

How is the performance? I know it's not comparable to your Mustang Cobra but is it an substantial difference in the V6? Worth the trouble?

Honestly, if you don't do anything to the 302, you will still get a good torque increase, but you lose a gear in the transmission, so you lose out there some in certain cases. I would at least make sure the 302 is tight or freshened up. A weak 302 is going to leave you disappointed for your time and effort. Be sure to beef up the 4r70w, at least with a good shift kit. For my use, my only gripe is around 50 mph when you are in OD and the TC is locked (a large part of my daily drive). It is not in its powerband and you have to wait for the TC to unlock or it to downshift to accelerate at a good rate, and you are fine. Some better gearing or some 5 spd auto would be GREAT, but just doesn't exist. It is just a little off there. 4.10's for my drive would probably really help. Maybe a better TC or some minor trans programming would help. My 302 may be weak as I never checked compression and has over 100K on it, but it does not use oil. Even checking it before oil change time, it is right on the mark. If you are going over 60 and nail it, it is surprisingly quick though.

All this talk has jinxed me though. As I was pulling into my subdivision I heard and felt a couple of loud clunks. Couldn't tell what it was...U joint or ball joints or drivetrain is what I thought... I checked underneath a few minutes ago and the only thing I could visibly see is my rear-diff was wet. Possible front pinion seal leak spraying all the way to the back of the diff. It has always made noise like a pinion bearing and I planned to get it fixed a while back. If this is what the clunk was, I might be in trouble driving it tomorrow! Something tells me I will know soon.

Thanks. Found a sway bar end-link broken. I hope that is all it was. Darn sound keeps moving on me. I also changed out the TC fluid. That got rid of some slow driving crunching I was hearing too. That TC fluid is so easy to change, I don't know why I didn't check it sooner.

Wow that looks great ttbit. I would love to do a project like this on my st BUT I dont have to garage space or tools (plus it doesnt help when I just got out of high school, just got a decent paying part time job plus community college). Hopefully I will have the sport trac for a while since it only has 60k on it and it runs great. Maybe later down the road I can tackle a project like this. Right now I'm trying to talk my uncle out of my grandfather's 1947 dodge truck for a project :D

Any updates on your ride ttbit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys. The end link took care of the noise. I had surgery this summer, so haven't done much work to the truck, or much physical work at all. I was hoping to tackle the AC, but it will have to wait.

I really appreciate this vehicle in bad weather. Never had it come loose on me in massive rain storms and the AWD is great.

Back