5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

It's all factory parts, really that's the ideal situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I kept all the 302 engine components with the engine. I swapped everything from the '96 to the 2001. If you do the same, you will deal with the fuel lines under the truck, which is not a big deal. You extend them somewhere in the middle and not at the ends as the bends match up front and back. You should be able to swap the fuel pump from the 98 and put it in the '01 tank (I did). If your '98 is running, this is going to be the easiest route. You have everything you need to get it going and you know it all works together.

Now...If you decide to go with a returnless fuel system you will need a '99-up 302 donor to get the proper EEC, Injectors, rails, regulator, fuel pump (maybe the v6 pump will be fine). You will also need to make sure the '99 up EEC will connect to your transmission. There were some changes to the valve body connectors and such on the transmissions in the different years. You will still have PATS issues also. You are going to deal with PATS one way or another and disabling is likely the easiest route.

You may have some problems with the vss signal and you will want to swap the temp sensor from the v6 so it matches the gauge. Also, check your positive and ground wires on the main engine harness connector(not the EEC plug). They changed a couple big ones in different years. I had someone email me recently that seems to have run into this also.

I would check about your inspections, if you have them. Most folks won't think to check the fuel system and what year it is from. Most probably won't notice the v8 or will think their system forgot to add it. :)

Hope this helps some.

Don

Oh...and what would I do different... I would have had the transmission built up with a new torque converter and a freshen up of the engine with a little more power.

As far as the configuration goes... I had little guess work as I knew what was working before the swap and had a schematic from both years. It started and ran fine in the beginning and is still doing so now, so I guess i wouldn't change anything there. I really got lucky with the electronics meshing with the '96 to 2001.

Thanks Don for clarifying things, I forgot whether you went with the 96 or the 01 computer. I'd think they are similar in difficulty, some wiring changes either way. I would prefer the returnless system if it was mine, but the emissions thing will be an issue for most people. Here we currently don't have that problem.

Man, don't I wish I could do this swap. Wasn't there a 5speed manual available in explorers/mountaineers? Because a 5.0, with a 5speed manual and a 4406 manual tcase in a sport trac, would be a DREAM. And that's about all it will be for me... haha

You would have to get the manual trans from an F series, as no ex/mounty had a manual behind the V8...if you go with SCT tuner, you can get a custom tune to delete pats, as well as any number of the emissions. I was told by an SCT dealer that the state don't have a way to hook to the computer to tell what's been disabled. All they can do is read dtc's...

SVT

RangerSVT, I saw your thread at trs, your st makes me drool, awesome work, the wiring is the onlly part that scares me. (But that exhaust note would be worth it)

Do you think a engine/trans/tcase swap from an f150 would be as "simple" as one from an explorer?

The swap is the easy part for most. For me, I enjoy the wiring part (call me having a short circuit for enjoying it, I just do!) The wiring from an F series definitely is not plug and play, especially since most obd2 systems are modular engines (which will be my next swap I want to do) for the F series (95-96 were pushrod 5.0's, 97+ were modular 4.6l...

SVT

I wish I could enjoy it! Haha

Okay so the easiest way to build a 5.0 sport trac wiring wise would be to pull the 5.0 from a 99-01 explorer, correct?

I don't remember the exact build date, but I know it's a job 2, which is the later part of the 2001 model year.

Even with a 99-01 motor, id run into the same problems you did with a 96? Geez llol

So just trying to grasp everything here at once, what would be the easiest possible way to do a 5.0 swap?

I used a 99 motor/donor, not a 96. Maybe this will help explain things...(copied from another forum)
2001 rangers had one more operation that was performed in the PCM that the explorers had a separate module for; the conditioning of the VSS signal.
In the ranger, an OSS signal from the transmission was sent to the PCM, the PCM then in turn used this for determining shift points and broadcast a conditioned version to the cruise control, speedometer, ABS, etc.
In the explorer, the VSS signal from the rear axle is sent to the ABS module. The ABS module is then used to condition the signal and broadcast a the conditioned signal to the cruise control, speedometer, and PCM for determining shift points. One additional feature the explorer has is a “G-Force Transducer” that measures how hard you are breaking for the ABS.
Because we are using the PCM from the explorer, it will require a conditioned VSS, This requires using the explorer ABS module and “G-Force Transducer”.
Not using these components will not stop the vehicle from running, but the speedo/tach will not work and the transmission will be running in “limp mode” because shift point can’t be optimized based on vehicle speed. The lack of this signal also makes the engine throw a code and the check engine light comes on.
I'm quite sure the tracs are the same way...

I used a 99 motor/donor, not a 96. Maybe this will help explain things...(copied from another forum)
2001 rangers had one more operation that was performed in the PCM that the explorers had a separate module for; the conditioning of the VSS signal.
In the ranger, an OSS signal from the transmission was sent to the PCM, the PCM then in turn used this for determining shift points and broadcast a conditioned version to the cruise control, speedometer, ABS, etc.
In the explorer, the VSS signal from the rear axle is sent to the ABS module. The ABS module is then used to condition the signal and broadcast a the conditioned signal to the cruise control, speedometer, and PCM for determining shift points. One additional feature the explorer has is a “G-Force Transducer” that measures how hard you are breaking for the ABS.
Because we are using the PCM from the explorer, it will require a conditioned VSS, This requires using the explorer ABS module and “G-Force Transducer”.
Not using these components will not stop the vehicle from running, but the speedo/tach will not work and the transmission will be running in “limp mode” because shift point can’t be optimized based on vehicle speed. The lack of this signal also makes the engine throw a code and the check engine light comes on.
I'm quite sure the tracs are the same way...

Okay, that's not good.

I have a swap planned, which by that will have a problem for the trans. I'm going to swap to OBDII in my 91 Lincoln, using a combination of wiring and modules from Mustangs and an Explorer.

How sure are you that the Explorer PCM has to have an Explorer ABS module, or put another way, does the 99+ Mustang ABS module "condition" the VSS signal in the same way? The Mustang ABS module is a better swap part for the Mark VII, because the body is shaped the same for the bracket mount.

My plan has been to use most of the 98/99-04 wiring and ABS module, along with an Explorer PCM and engine harness, accessories etc. I will use a 4R70W with the VSS output(1997 I have), an AODE planetary set, and car valve body.

I'd hate to have to use a 4.6 PCM and do whatever it would take to run a 302, if that PCM is unlike the Explorer PCM for VSS signal.:(

Your best option would be to run a 96-97 ex ECU and harness. Remember, your mark 7 uses a return style fuel system, the 99-01 uses returnless and also is slightly different in the wiring department. Also, the 96-97 systems use the standard VSS in the trans/tcase location, not the VSS located in the rear axle. To use the 99+ system is not impossible by any means, but it does require changing the fuel pump sending unit in the fuel tank as fuel pressure is regulated in the tank (as of 99), and not on the fuel rail (like 96-98 ex's) I understand you may have the 99-01 parts, but it would be best to change/swap for the earlier system, it will make it much easier on you...
Why do you want to switch the lincoln to OBD2??

SVT

Okay, so sport tracs are returnless llike 99-01 explorers, so a 99-01 leaves less headaches there, then to avoid the vss issues, you'd also need to swap the abs stuff, what parts would that involve switching?

I wish there was a 5.0 swap instruction manual... haha

I'm actually working on a manual....ish
The speedo is not as bad as it sounds, there is a module on the driver frame rail of the ex (G force transfixed) which is 3 wires, this module is bolted to the side of the ex abs pump, wired into the abs plug, and that's it...The only other issue is the pats, which with an SCT tuner will fix that...
SVT

Okay, so sport tracs are returnless llike 99-01 explorers, so a 99-01 leaves less headaches there, then to avoid the vss issues, you'd also need to swap the abs stuff, what parts would that involve switching?

I wish there was a 5.0 swap instruction manual... haha

So for the Sport Trac the ABS module isn't an Explorer ABS module, those would have to be swapped?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best option would be to run a 96-97 ex ECU and harness. Remember, your mark 7 uses a return style fuel system, the 99-01 uses returnless and also is slightly different in the wiring department. Also, the 96-97 systems use the standard VSS in the trans/tcase location, not the VSS located in the rear axle. To use the 99+ system is not impossible by any means, but it does require changing the fuel pump sending unit in the fuel tank as fuel pressure is regulated in the tank (as of 99), and not on the fuel rail (like 96-98 ex's) I understand you may have the 99-01 parts, but it would be best to change/swap for the earlier system, it will make it much easier on you...
Why do you want to switch the lincoln to OBD2??

SVT

My spare Explorer parts include a 1998 dash harness, PCM, battery/alt harness, and under hood harness, GEM module.

I was planning to use the 98 PCM, but I know it has PATS, and the 96/97 may have a little less wiring(PATS module).

Will the 1996/97 Explorer PCM accept just the VSS signal directly from the trans tail shaft? That would solve that question of the ABS VSS signal etc.

I'm changing from EECIV because I've never liked the idea of spending tons of money on aftermarket devices to "trick" the computer into working with modifications. Now there are new aftermarket devices that can do very well, but those are completely unlike the SCT flashers for OBDII+ systems.

I'd prefer to learn one less method for tuning, the OBDII to current way, and skip the EECIV stuff. Way back when EECIV was considered low tech compared to OBDII. Now people are doing very well tuning the old EECIV cars, but I'd rather skip that.

I have one last reason to upgrade my 91 wiring. Ford was redesigning their wiring systems in the 90's. That's when new relays came out which swap between each other, all throughout the vehicle. I hated the old relays and wiring connectors. The Explorer was also part of the beginning of low current wiring inside the car, keeping as much of the high powered circuits under the hood etc. They also had master electrical control to monitor power loss, and cut power when headlights etc, are left on.

I'm going to try hard to install a GEM module, which gains me the better electrical control, plus a cruise control which I lose with a PCM change.

The V6 Explorer/Ranger swap are relatively simple because the 302 came in the perfect cousin vehicle. The Explorer parts are direct swaps.
:salute:

Back