5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply!

I guess this is a good first step, just bought a 2005 wiring manual...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270662488725&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Were all of the Eddie Bauer editions v8? I emailed the seller asking for more info..

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2268667063.html

Good deal on the manual. I paid more than that but bought them on CD. I am not sure on the EBs. I couldn't see the V8 sticker. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a vehicle with a bad trans though. You would be better off buying a wreck with low miles and a good drivetrain.

I found a 2000 Mountaineer for a good price. Before I pursue this as a donor vehicle I have a few questions.

Does this year 5.0 have a return or return-less fuel setup? With this year v8 be able to use my stock 2005 fuel pump and lines? Also, I had another thought, my 2005 is flex fuel, any possible compatibility issues or differences with fuel pressure related to the flex fuel setup? is there an in tank sensor for the flex fuel system?

Does this year have the same style of PATS that my 2005 has? or will there possibly be issues here?

thanks again for the help and info!

That is returnless like yours, the fuel tank should stay in place.

You will have the 98-01 PATS system, which should take the same keys you have. You will be dealing with reprogramming the keys to the PATS/PCM modules though, unless you swapped the key cylinders(4) and keys.

The gas will have to be normal gas and not the E85 or what is it? Just make notes of what has changed for yourself or other drivers.

With this year v8 be able to use my stock 2005 fuel pump and lines?

The lines will need to be modified no matter what you do.

Yes, the front lines connect differently on the 302. I'd see about getting the 302 lines from the 302 truck. IIRC they connect the same at the fuel filter, so see what the front line looks like from the 2000 truck.

Sorry I didnt update sooner, but someone beat me to the mountaineer I found while I was trying to locate a trailer, etc. Still looking for another deal, they are out there!

Hey i have a 04 sport trac adrenaline editions and ive been waiting for an excuse to drop a v8 in it. My mom borrored it for the day and some how manage to break my internal timing belt and completely blow my motor. I was wondering if any of you guys knew if there was a v8 that for the most part would drop in pretty easy. Thanks!

Welcome, and read over this thread carefully. This is the closest you will find for a how-to bible to install a V8 in the 01-05 Sport Trac. You need a 99-01 Explorer V8 with matching front differential(2WD if yours is 2WD, or else AWD to match your 4WD). You have to swap the trans with the engine.

So if i wanted to drop a v8 in i would have to change out the tranny?

So if i wanted to drop a v8 in i would have to change out the tranny?

You will need the v8 tranny, yes. My swap was a 1996 v8 combo, so you can use 96-2001.

Hey guys,
Well, I bought a 01' job2 sport trac with a bad motor/trans. I have a 98' 5.0 Mounty that I was going to build, but am now considering using as a donor.

Is there going to be an issue with PATS with the 98 vs 2001? How much of the colum to I have to swap or????I have not found info to confirm this.

What about EEC? Seems that there maybe was a change in 99' explorers.........what about 98' mountaineers vs. the 96 that ttbit used? On second thought, this probably does not matter as the EEC will be swapped. How will it work with gauge cluster of the 01'?

I have read through this thread, and thanks for the info you have shared ttbit.
Just thinking this may go through with this and if I go forward, will start a thread of my own.

Thanks for the help

Hey guys,
Well, I bought a 01' job2 sport trac with a bad motor/trans. I have a 98' 5.0 Mounty that I was going to build, but am now considering using as a donor.

Is there going to be an issue with PATS with the 98 vs 2001? How much of the colum to I have to swap or????I have not found info to confirm this.

What about EEC? Seems that there maybe was a change in 99' explorers.........what about 98' mountaineers vs. the 96 that ttbit used? On second thought, this probably does not matter as the EEC will be swapped. How will it work with gauge cluster of the 01'?

I have read through this thread, and thanks for the info you have shared ttbit.
Just thinking this may go through with this and if I go forward, will start a thread of my own.

Thanks for the help

Lots and lots of issues changing 2001 v6 to 98 ,

Basically you find out what changed with the 302 from 98 to 99-01, and make those minor changes to do the swap. You'd have to have the 99-01 PCM, injectors and fuel rail, and the cam synchronizer(distributor). Those are just about all of the differences.

Basically you find out what changed with the 302 from 98 to 99-01, and make those minor changes to do the swap. You'd have to have the 99-01 PCM, injectors and fuel rail, and the cam synchronizer(distributor). Those are just about all of the differences.

I have the entire 98' 5.0 doner vehicle.......can I not just use the fuel system/pcm etc.?

All Ford fuel systems changed in 1999, which is what your SportTrac has. The engine has to have the matching injectors, rail(no FPR(yours is in the tank)), the cam synchronizer(different signal(two wires)), and computer. There may be another tiny item or two, but those are the main things.

Get those from any 99-01 302 Explorer, they are all the same. Buy new injectors or rebuilt, sometimes used units will be plugged up from non use.

Or you could swap the truck to 98 --which would mean swapping the fuel tank sensors, fuel pump and fuel lines. You have all the 98 parts to do so, but it does mean stepping back 3 years which may not be legal in some places.

Oh, and the engine wiring harness also has to match the injectors etc.

You might ask Don how he'd do it given a chance to decide again.

Or you could swap the truck to 98 --which would mean swapping the fuel tank sensors, fuel pump and fuel lines. You have all the 98 parts to do so, but it does mean stepping back 3 years which may not be legal in some places.

This is what I was planning and how it appears ttbit (Dale??) went about the swap. Sent him a pm so hope to get in touch with him.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, wish this swap was less complex. Haha

Back