65 mph on up vibration | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

65 mph on up vibration

I'm still chasing this prob. I had 2 new tires installed on the rear and still have the vib. I am reading tons of complaints about this prob on the net. But, no-one talks about any fixes.

I hope someone runs across this thread that can help..............

Thanks for the update, please keep us informed as to what you find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, let's do a recap. To date, you've checked out and eliminated the following:

1. Brake rotor pulse
2. Tire/wheel vibration (did they use a road force balancer?)
3. U-joints
4. Driveshaft
5. Wheel bearings

There are a few more questions. All the E-brake cables are moving freely? A caliper that's "hanging" a little too tight can cause symptoms like this with heat buildup, but you'd be able to ID it pretty quick. Otherwise, since you mentioned the trans was recently rebuilt with a new converter, you might have to start looking deeper. I'm starting to really suspect that new torque converter.

These things are never fun to try and diagnose without actually driving the vehicle.

The drive-shaft I haven't eliminated yet.
The last shop was supposed to have checked the bearings and said they were fine. How can I check them myself.
The converter?????????
I'm listening.
That is one of the main reasons why I started fixing, building, diagnosing, etc. my own stuff years ago. Because, I did not trust that what was said to have been fixed that I would pay for. I truly didn't know if they did the work. The shop claimed they installed a new converter but, who knows. I may have been charged for it and they just reused my old one. What should I do to check this?

jp450, did you get the drive-shaft installed?
Did this help?

Also, I am making a trip at the end of the month. About 700 miles one way. Do you think the truck will be ok? Or will I cause too much damage?

If it isn't the driveshaft, then it could be an install problem with the TC. A bad TC can cause a shudder. Do you know anyone else nearby that has a similar expy you could do a driveshaft swap with?

Subscribing. I have the exact same problem, right down to more noise up and less noise down a hill.

I've replaced lower bjs, upper pass control arm, new tires mounted and balanced, alignment, replaced pinion bearings and carrier bearings, and I've dropped my front driveshaft to eliminate that from the issues. Still have vibration over 65. Interesting how everyone says 65, that seems to be the problematic speed across the board. U-joints are tight, though I might replace them just for kicks and giggles. I just bought the truck a month ago with 175000 on the odo, and have no idea what service was performed and at what time.

Seemed to have no bearing problems, at least not when I spun the wheels individually while working on the front and rear end. I do have a very small thickness double rusted groove in my pass side rear rotor, still got plenty of wear left on the caliper though. Probably something stuck on the inside of the caliper that wore it down - or maybe sub-par calipers. Absolutely no rubbing though, no heat after driving or anything.

If it isn't the driveshaft, then it could be an install problem with the TC. A bad TC can cause a shudder.
Explain the shudder you're talking about. Could it cause the vibration I'm experiencing? I'm suspicious of them not installing a new converter like they said during the rebuild. They offered a 90 day warranty after the rebuild. But, I got them to give me 12 months in writing. I had the vibration before the rebuild and if they didn't install the new converter that could explain me still having the vib.
How could I have the converter checked?

I had the driveshaft balanced today and are picking it up tomorrow. I'll post if that was the prob.

Well the driveshaft di require some weight. But, this did not solve the vibration prob.

Could it be the torque converter?

i have same problem with vibration, 2002 explorer xlt 4.6 v8 got tires rebalanced, rotated. seemed to have gotten a little better but very minimal, steering shakes at 65 on up. bearings seem to be just fine. I did just notice one thing while removing back wheels for inspection. both of my rear springs are broke. i thought that these only affected ride height. so i didnt think it would cause the vibration. i ordered new strut assemblies, and will be putting on this weekend. it would be great if this fixed the vibration but buy now my hope is gone and i am really getting sick of looking at my explorer

any other theroies to exhaust?

TC shudder is generally felt as an all-over vibration. It shows up two ways. If the TC itself is defective and built out of balance, it will feel almost exactly like a driveshaft vibration, and will generally increase in intensity the faster the vehicle goes. If it's an internal TC problem, it shows up as more of a "stutter" in the vehicle's shifting, and tends to show up in certain RPM ranges and not as a sustained vibration. I know what it feels like but I'm not sure if I'm explaining it clearly.

i have same problem with vibration, 2002 explorer xlt 4.6 v8 got tires rebalanced, rotated. seemed to have gotten a little better but very minimal, steering shakes at 65 on up. bearings seem to be just fine. I did just notice one thing while removing back wheels for inspection. both of my rear springs are broke. i thought that these only affected ride height. so i didnt think it would cause the vibration. i ordered new strut assemblies, and will be putting on this weekend. it would be great if this fixed the vibration but buy now my hope is gone and i am really getting sick of looking at my explorer

any other theroies to exhaust?

Steering wheel shake shouldn't be related to the rear springs. If you aren't feeling it in the seat then it's confined to the front axle. Halfshafts in good shape? No evidence of damage? CV boots in good order? No brake rotor shudder to speak of?

A real old-school approach would be to take it to a shop that used to do on-vehicle wheel balancing. They should be able to jack up one front tire at a time and spin them to speed using a floor balancer. That would help determine if it is related to one side or the other, and then you would start looking at halfshafts, etc. NOTE: Don't attempt this on a full AWD vehicle like a Mountaineer. If you have a physical 2wd selection it would be possible.

I made a 1500 mile trip with the truck and it vibrated the whole time. Never got any better or worse. Before the trip, I jacked the rear wheels off the ground and ran it up to 70mph and the vibration was there narrowing it down to the drive line. After the trip I noticed a small glob of grease splattered on the left side of the rear end housing where that half shaft enters. I've been to busy to continue the diagnosing of this prob. But, I belive it's in my left half shaft. I'll update this post when I get back to it.

I haven't had one of these center sections apart, but there is probably a carrier bearing where the halfshaft enters the housing. I wonder if that's the problem?

well..

I finally found out (after about 400 in bearings) what my problem was. Tire guy sold me three passenger car tires, and one light truck tire. Unless you looked really hard, you'd never tell the difference. All passenger car tires, and it runs fine now.....

I finally solved the problem and forgot to update this thread. There's 3 "insulators" / bushings that the rear end mounts thru to the chassis. I had those replaced and all is well.

I finally solved the problem and forgot to update this thread. There's 3 "insulators" / bushings that the rear end mounts thru to the chassis. I had those replaced and all is well.

Thanks for updating the thread with the solution. I'm having the same problem. Do you remember what the technical name of the bushings is? Browsing Rock Auto under "drivetrain" doesn't shed any clues.

I'll check the service order for part numbers when I get home for you. There's one toward's the yoke and 2 on the backside of the housing. They had to remove both half shafts to get the one's on the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 02 explorer xls shakes a bit between 55 and 65, but right after 65 it smooths out. i was told by a few mechanics that it is the all terrain tires that cause it to do that.

Back