• Register Today It's free!

65 mph on up vibration

captrivers

Reaction score
City, State
Prairieville, La.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer, '11 XLT
I'm at work and have dial-up. I would try a search but, I fell asleep waiting for this page to pull-up.
I have an 02 eddie bauer. I get a vibration starting at 65mph and continues throughout the rest of the speed range. No vibration below 65. I balanced the tires, needed new front rotors and turned the rear. The tires have less than 1500 miles. I also had to have the trans rebuilt installing a new converter and solenoid pack. After all of this I still have the vibration. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For me, it has been bearings. Mine is smooth except for 58-70, which also happens to be where I like to drive. Others say it can be an out of whack halfshaft, driveshaft, or dinked up rim that the tire store is throwing a bunch of weights on, and they eventually come back off. Oh - wheel alignment helped too. Soon as I can get the time and money to replace the other 3 sets, I'll letcha know if it all goes away.

-Shawn

Where do you feel the vibration-steering wheel or seat? Did the balancer measure road force, or was it an older one?

Lon P

You could have thrown the wheel weights again off of one of the rims, I had to go back to Mavis 3 times in a week because it kept throwing them on the highway. Like said before, it could also be half shafts.

I'm pretty sure it's not the balance.
I hear the vibration extreme forward and while my wife was driving the other day I climbed in the back. It's their also. I'm starting to suspect u-joints. I rotated the tires last week also hoping to hear the vibration move. Nothing.

FWIW, U joints are not among the common problem areas with these Ex's, but wheel bearings certainly are and can result in symptoms you are having. Both fronts and rears have been subject to this common problem.

I'd lean toward wheel bearings at this point too, especially if you rotated the tires and it didn't make a difference. Ujoints could cause what you are describing but I would expect the noise to be more centralized-not front/back like this.

The only other thing I've seen cause the symptoms you are having is a pilot bearing going bad, but that's not at all common for automatics.

Try shifting it to neutral at the said speed, this may eliminate the drivetrain if the vibe dissapears, I have many other suggestions, I chased a vib for ages a long time ago and I became an expert out of necessity, as it was a '75 Volvo fitted with a 350Chev engine & nobody wanted to know about it, it ended up being a bent flexplate
Scotty

The reason why I'm suspecting ujoints is when I shift to nuetral it lessens but, doesn't totally go away. It's more prevalent when I accelarate. Once at 60 +, if I tap the accelerator (as in letting slack in the drive train then tapping to accel). I get a clunk. It doesn't seem like bearings. I've experienced bearings and this is not quit like that. It's almost a rumble thru the areas where I hear it. If it is bearings this would be new to me. Another reason for my suspicions, are if I'm accelrating up a hill per say. It's obvious. Then down the other side in a coasting mode it lessons. With the holidays and trying to finish 2 bikes before Christmas I'm to busy to pull the drive shaft and either change em or at least chek em. If it turns out to be bearings what do I have in store for me? Can someone give my any tips? Pitfalls suck.lol

OK, it's not the u-joints. How can I start the diagnosing process to find which wheel has a faulty bearing? And if it is a bearing, why is it not showing until 65 mph.
OR, could it be I need to have my drive shaft rebalanced?

I'd be skeptical about the driveshaft needing balanced unless it shows damage somewhere (and then it should be replaced), it's had a u-joint put in, or the driveshaft was replaced with a used one. That's just not something that shows up without a trigger event.

Bearings are easiest to diagnose if you get all the tires off the ground at the same time. Once it's up, shift to neutral and roll each tire individually as fast as you can, while holding the a-frame. If it's a bad bearing, you may be able to hear it (if it's really gone), or otherwise you may be able to feel a vibration in the a-frame as you are turning the tire. Since you are able to feel the symptoms in the car at speed, it should show up. If you have help, get someone else to turn the tire while you check for vibration. I've also had the wheel with a bad bearing be noticeably harder to turn.

As for why it doesn't show up until 65, it's probably there at slower speeds, but isn't enough to be noticeable. I was working on an old F-150 4wd once that had a vibration that only showed up between 40-45 miles per hour, and only after you drove it at least 10 miles. Turned out to be the needle bearings in the front hub-they were completely gone.

Thanks Merc. I'll test it at work Monday. The tires are fairly new and I have my local Firestone dealer gonna look for a bad tire. Do you think it could be a tire? When I first started this diagnostic I rotated them and still had the vib up-front. In thinking about it while driving. I may have noticed the noise a little less pronounced. I'm not sure though.

I don't think tires are likely. If tires are balanced using an older machine that doesn't correct for road force, you can get vibration, but it will still move to a different axle when you rotate your tires. Do you have any brake shudder (rotor pulsing) when you hit the brakes?

It did when I first bought the truck. But, I installed new rotors up-front and turned the rear. That eliminated that.

I'd be skeptical about the driveshaft needing balanced unless it shows damage somewhere (and then it should be replaced), it's had a u-joint put in, or the driveshaft was replaced with a used one. That's just not something that shows up without a trigger event.

There is a TSB (# 05-16-4) that referes to a vibration/drone in the rear end at 55-75MPH. The fix for the problem is to replace the drive shaft with a premium balanced driveshaft.

I am currently awaiting a new drive shaft from the dealer to fix this problem on my 05.

Apparently some of the factory drive shafts were not balanced properly...

Jeff

Driveshaft, I'm listening. Did you have yours balanced to find this? Please put me on the article or
TSB (# 05-16-4)
you're talking about. What is "TSB"?
I am making a trip in February and would like to take this truck. I hope I can have this figured out by then.

Driveshaft, I'm listening. Did you have yours balanced to find this? Please put me on the article or you're talking about. What is "TSB"?
I am making a trip in February and would like to take this truck. I hope I can have this figured out by then.

The term "TSB" refers to Technical Service Bulletin. It is what the auto manufactures put out when there is a common problem with a vehicle. These problems are usualy not a safety related issue or have not proven to appear on alot of vehicles and as such are not subject to the "Recall" rules.

The TSB I refrenced is the one for the drone or hum that you may hear when you hit 55 MPH.

My 05 Ex was making the drone noise and I took it to the dealer and told them when I hit 55 MPH I hear a huming noise. They called me back later that day and told me that they needed to order a new drive shaft. My Ex is still under warrenty and this repair is covered.

Here is the TSB:

Driveline - Vibration/Boom Between 55 and 75 MPH

TSB 05-16-4

08/22/05

DRIVELINE 1ST ORDER VIBRATION/BOOM/DRONE

FORD:
2002-2005 Explorer

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Aviator

MERCURY:
2002-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 05-3-7 to update the service procedure and to add a vehicle line.

ISSUE
Some 2002-2005 4x4 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 4x4 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a vibration/drone/boom at 55-75 MPH (89-121 km/h). Electronic vibration analyzer (EVA) readings will fall under 1st order rear driveshaft at 2700-3100 shaft RPM (45-52 Hertz).

ACTION
If the condition is present in 3rd gear (with overdrive cancelled), and is isolated to the driveline (not felt through the steering wheel), install a premium balanced driveshaft. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO THE SOLID 4X2 DRIVESHAFT, IT ONLY APPLIES TO 4X4 WITH BOOT/SLIP JOINT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DRIVESHAFT.

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 100-02.

2. Remove skid plate, if equipped.

3. Remove the driveshaft flange bolts (Figure 1).

4. Remove the transfer case rear output flange bolts (Figure 2).

NOTE THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGE FITS TIGHTLY ON THE AXLE PINION FLANGE PILOT AND THE TRANSFER CASE OUTPUT FLANGE. DO NOT HAMMER ON THE DRIVESHAFT OR ANY OF ITS COMPONENTS TO DISCONNECT THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGES FROM THE MATING FLANGES. PRY ONLY IN THE AREA SHOWN WITH A SUITABLE TOOL, TO DISCONNECT THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGES.

5. Using a suitable tool, disconnect the driveshaft flanges and remove the driveshaft (Figure 3).

6. Measure the NEW driveshaft length from u-joint center to u-joint center. Refer to Step 6a or 6b.

a. Driveshafts measuring LESS than 1194 +/- 1.0 mm must be expanded as follows:

(1) Place driveshaft on a suitable workbench and firmly secure either flange in a suitable vice.

CAUTION CAREFULLY SECURE THE DRIVESHAFT TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE FLANGE.

(2) Grasp the shaft at the opposing flange with both hands and expand (by pulling) as required to 1194 +/- 1.0 mm.

NOTE DO NOT USE A BAR OR SIMILAR DEVICE BETWEEN THE FLANGE AND CARDON JOINT.

b. Driveshafts measuring GREATER than 1194 +/- 1.0 mm must be compressed as follows:

(1) Place driveshaft on a suitable workbench and firmly secure either flange in a suitable vice.

CAUTION CAREFULLY SECURE THE DRIVESHAFT TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE FLANGE.

(2) Grasp the shaft at the opposing flange with both hands and compress (by pushing) together by hand as required to 1194 +/- 1.0 mm.

NOTE DO NOT USE A HAMMER OR SIMILAR DEVICE.
THIS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SHAFT FLANGE.

7. To install, align the driveshaft paint markings with companion flange markings, if present.

8. Coat the bolts with Threadlock And Sealer TA-25 meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G351-A5.

NOTE THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGES FITS TIGHTLY ON THE PINION FLANGE PILOTS. TO ENSURE THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGES SEAT SQUARELY ON THE PINION FLANGES, TIGHTEN THE DRIVESHAFT FLANGE BOLTS EVENLY IN ACROSS PATTERN.

9. Support the rear driveshaft.

10. Install flange bolts at rear axle flange by hand.

11. Install flange bolts at transfer case flange by hand.

12. Tighten all driveshaft flange bolts to 76 lb-ft (103 N.m).

13. Reinstall skid plate, if equipped.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

It seems this article excludes my vehicle
ISSUE
Some 2002-2005 4x4 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 4x4 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a vibration/drone/boom at 55-75 MPH (89-121 km/h). Electronic vibration analyzer (EVA) readings will fall under 1st order rear driveshaft at 2700-3100 shaft RPM (45-52 Hertz).
and
NOTE THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO THE SOLID 4X2 DRIVESHAFT, IT ONLY APPLIES TO 4X4 WITH BOOT/SLIP JOINT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DRIVESHAFT.
I start noticing my vibration between 60 and 65mph and it continues thruoughout the speed range from there.

I ran across some interesting reading while searching my problem on the net. It seems others had the differintial replaced.
OR here's Ford's TSB:
This article supersedes TSB 05-12-6 to update the Service Kit and Service Procedure information.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit an axle whine or hum during acceleration, deceleration and/or cruise.

ACTION:
An axle repair kit has been developed which incorporates most parts required for a comprehensive axle repair. The kit should be used instead of installing a complete axle assembly to repair an axle whine/hum. Replace Ring and Pinion with Axle Kit and Components.

NOTE: REFER TO THE "DIFFERENTIAL RING AND PINION" IN-VEHICLE REPAIR PROCEDURE IN THE ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00, FOR THE LATEST AXLE DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR PROCEDURES.

NOTE: FOR 1999 AND PRIOR MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, USE THE 2000 MODEL YEAR WORKSHOP MANUAL.

NOTE: WHEN SERVICING THE REAR AXLE ON ANY 2002-2004 F-150, EXPEDITION, NAVIGATOR, EXPLORER OR MOUNTAINEER BUILT BEFORE 3/30/2004, IF FLUID REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED, REPLACE THE ORIGINAL FUEL EFFICIENT HIGH PERFORMANCE (FEHP) SAE 75W-90 REAR AXLE LUBRICANT WITH SAE 75W-140 HIGH PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC REAR AXLE LUBRICANT. WHEN THE FLUID TYPE IS CHANGED, REPLACE THE CURRENT "FEHP" METAL TAG WITH A NEW "75W-140" TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). IN ADDITION, REMOVE OR BLOCK-OUT THE FEHP REFERENCE ON THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE. IF THE AXLE IS A LIMITED-SLIP MODEL, USE XL3 ADDITIVE FRICTION MODIFIER IN THE QUANTITY RECOMMENDED BY THE WORKSHOP MANUAL.

KIT ORDERING: REFER TO THE VEHICLE AXLE TAG FOR AXLE RATIO IDENTIFICATION

5L3Z-4209-A = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.31 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150)
5L3Z-4209-B = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.55 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator)
5L3Z-4209-C = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.73 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator, 2003-2004 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-D = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.31 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2005 Expedition/Navigator, 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-E = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.55 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-F = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.73 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 1997-2005 Expedition/Navigator)
NOTE: 9.75 REAR AXLE HOUSINGS WERE REDESIGNED IN MID-1999, INCREASING FRONT PINION BEARING SIZE. REPLACING RING & PINIONS IN AN OLD-STYLE AXLE ASSEMBLY WILL REQUIRE INSTALLATION OF SPACER P/N YL3Z-4662-CA. SPACER IS TO BE INSTALLED BETWEEN INNER PINION BEARING AND COLLAPSIBLE SPACER.

THE AXLE SERVICE KITS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS:

4630 - Head Bearing
4628 - Head Bearing Cup
4676 - Pinion Seal
386989-S2 - Washer (Slinger)
4621 - Tail Bearing
4616 - Tail Bearing Cup
4222 - Differential Bearing Cups
4221 - Differential Bearings
4209 - Gear Set (includes pinion shims, pinion nut and crush spacer)
4209 - Instruction Sheet
NOTE: THE KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS. SOME OR ALL OF THESE ITEMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE AXLE SERVICE, DEPENDING ON AXLE APPLICATION/STYLE.

ORDER AS NEEDED:

NOTE: REUSE OF RING GEAR BOLTS, CARRIER BEARING CAP BOLTS AND DIFFERENTIAL SLAVE PIN RETAINING BOLT REQUIRES CLEANING OF THREADS AND INSTALLATION OF TA-27 STUD AND BEARING MOUNT RETAINING COMPOUND & SEALANT.

YL3Z-4662-CA - Pinion Bearing Spacer for 1997-1998 9.75 axles
XG-14 - Gear Marking Compound
4067 - Differential Shims 0.241" to 0.307"
SAE XY-75W140-QL - High Performance Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
XL-3 - Additive Friction Modifier (Limited Slip Axles Only)
205-506 - Seal Protectors (Rotunda Tool)
W710084-S439 - Wheel End Nuts
390266-S100 - Differential Slave Pin Bolt (9.75" axles)
387426-S100 - Differential Slave Pin Bolt (8.8" axles)
4B422 - Axle Circlips
ZC-21 - Metal Surface Cleaner
TA-29 - Ultra Silicone Sealant
TA-27 - Stud and Bearing Mount Retaining Compound and Sealer
F3TZ-4121-AA - Fluid Tag (REQUIRED IF FLUID TYPE IS CHANGED FROM FEHP DURING REPAIR)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
052303A 1997-2002 Expedition, 1998-2002 Navigator, 1997-2004 F-150 Heritage, 2004-2005 F-150: Rear Axle Noise Repair (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern (Beam Axle)) (Do Not Use With 4205A Or 4205A4) 4.7 Hrs.
052303A 2003-2005 Expedition: Rear Axle Noise Repair (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern (Irs Axle)) (Do Not Use With 4010D Or 4010D4) 5.8 Hrs.
052303A 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator With Air Suspension: Rear Axle Noise Repair (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern (Irs Axle)) (Do Not Use With 4010D Or 4010D4) 5.9 Hrs.
052303A 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2003-2005 Aviator: Rear Axle Noise Repair (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern (Irs Axle)) (Do Not Use With 4010D Or 4010D4) 6.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4209 14

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still chasing this prob. I had 2 new tires installed on the rear and still have the vib. I am reading tons of complaints about this prob on the net. But, no-one talks about any fixes.

I hope someone runs across this thread that can help..............

Back