• Register Today It's free!

6X9 in doors?

Blue Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
hey i've got a 97 4 door explorer. there are 6X8 in the door's now, but i was wondering if anyone has modified their doors at all to put 6X9's in them? if you have how hard was it? any pictures too? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put 6 1/2" rounds in all 4 doors. The first one was hardest, trying to figure how to fit. After a bit of work with Dremmel and a couple 1 1/2" cutting disc's got all 4 trimmed out and fit nicely. I really don't see ow to trim to get a 6x9 in there, but may be a way.

kool. thanks. i just read a bunch of old posts (like they say use the search function) and it's too fat and your door will buldge out from the speaker with these mounted Dead Link Removed
some trimming required, and i don't particularly want to do that

no, no, no that turns a 6x9 TO a 5x7 or 5x8....

Originally posted by WoodysX
no, no, no that turns a 6x9 TO a 5x7 or 5x8....

Actually if you read it, it "Adapts a 6" x 9" speaker to a 5" x 7" or 6" x 8" location." Which would be what he needs, but any decent size 6x9's would bulge his doors. I also put 6 1/2" components in my doors, and I like them better than 6x9's.

WHY FORD ARE IDIOTS

THEY COULD HAVE EASILY MADE HOLES FOR 6 X 9 SPEAKERS, BUT THEY CHOSE TO BE IGNORANT & MAKE 6 X 8'S, THEY PROBABLY HAVE A DEAL WITH PIONEER (THE MAIN MANUFACTURER OF THEM & THE BEST).

I just got finished putting oversized 6 3/4 round components in my front doors. Because of the diameter of the speaker "basket" I had to make plywood adapters (3/8" depth) as it would not fit the stock 6X8 plastic spacer. My speaker depth + plywood spacer = 3" plus when I push on the grill from the outside I still have room before I touch anything. Assuming you can make an adapter for the oval you got at least 3" of depth which will allow many 6X9s to fit. Watch the tweeter protrusion on the spec sheets though. Plus I've read that others have done it.

Re: WHY FORD ARE IDIOTS

Originally posted by WEENIE666
THEY COULD HAVE EASILY MADE HOLES FOR 6 X 9 SPEAKERS, BUT THEY CHOSE TO BE IGNORANT & MAKE 6 X 8'S, THEY PROBABLY HAVE A DEAL WITH PIONEER (THE MAIN MANUFACTURER OF THEM & THE BEST).

um NO, pioneer may be the main manufacturer, doubt it, but they are not the best in any case, i wont start a flame war about brands, but there are plenty of choices for 6x8's different that pioneers!

Back