93 auto transmission troubleshooting help requested | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 auto transmission troubleshooting help requested

HP Hatecraft

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Hi,

I have a 93 XLT. I was stopped on a steep incline waiting to pull out onto a highway, and my explorer rolled backward about half a foot (I was in drive at the time).

I thought "that's odd! I don't remember that ever happening (rolling backward while in drive)" and then when I went to pull out onto the highway, my truck barely made it across and I was just able to pull off on the other side.

Symptoms: Truck starts fine, but the only gear that seems to work now is park. I can move the gearshift normally, and the truck can be pushed while in gear, but not while in park (just like it is supposed to).

My father is pretty smart about these things and he looked at it and said he'd never seen anything like it. He said all visible parts appear to be moving correctly and he's at a loss.

It is my only means of transportation and any advice is appreciated more than you'll know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fluid level?

Yes we checked the fluid and my father said that it was darker than it should be. He also said that he could not hear the pump in the transmission, and that he should be able to hear it if it was working.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't help but feel it had something to do with rolling backward in drive, because everything seemed fine before that.

When the problem happened, the truck rolled backwards. Rolling backwards didn't cause the problem. Pumps normally can't be heard. There is a trans internal problem, may be a valve body leak, or other. If you are a DIY person. Drop the pan, pull the valve body and look for a blown gasket. If not a DIY person, it has to go to a shop.

Before doing anything, pull the vacuum hose off the modulator on pass. side of trans, if there is fluid in it replace the modulator. also check for a stuck governor valve. If either of these fixes it be sure to change the filter and fluid.

When the problem happened, the truck rolled backwards. Rolling backwards didn't cause the problem.

Thanks for explaining that in an easy-to-understand way. :)

I will check the modulator vacuum hose as well as for a stuck governor valve and let you guys know if that was the problem.

Thanks again for your time.

I have had to replace both my modulator valve due to diaphragm failure and my governor and neither caused the symptoms you describe. I would suggest that you check for pump pressure. I would (and did) buy the Ford transmission manual, as well as read the ASTG manuals. Look in BB's useful threads. A wealth of information. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1439158&postcount=17
Good luck.

The fluid level is way, way too high. I checked it after letting the engine run for a few minutes. (ETA I just did it after letting the car run for 20 minutes in park and get the same reading)

When the fluid was checked a few months ago the level was within normal parameters.

Any ideas?

Also, would a lose shift cable cause these symptoms?

You did leave the engine running when you checked the fluid? Cooler in radiator could be leaking. The fluid isn't milky looking is it? Did you read the stickies about the 4ALD trans?

You did leave the engine running when you checked the fluid? Cooler in radiator could be leaking. The fluid isn't milky looking is it? Did you read the stickies about the 4ALD trans?

Yes, the engine was running and in park. I checked it after a few minutes and again after 20 minutes...the fluid level is 2 1/2 inches above the crosshairs. (!)

The fluid is brown like used motor oil with some small grit...can't tell if it is metal or dirt; the grit is very fine.

The fluid does not smell burnt.

I have not read the stickies because I didn't think I could understand them (not being mechanically minded) but I will and see if I can grasp it.

Okay, three mechanically inclined men have looked at it and they have no idea.

One offered to replace the transmission with one out of a '94 (mine's a '93), and I think that may be the best solution.

Will a 94 fit, and any words or links of advice?

What doe the coolant in the radiator look like? I wonder if the radiator broke internally causing radiator fluid to go into the transmission????

Better check this out before putting in another transmission, oh, and all the lines will need to be flushed out. You do not want to circulate the old oil and pieces into your new transmission.

I agree with what (Turdle) said, the fact that you felt grit in the oil would make a replacement the best way to go. Make sure you get the Torque Converter with the replacement. A 94 should be the same. Search the threads in the forum, or someone else may verify what I said, ask Brooklyn Bay, I am sure he knows.

NO, computer and wiring are wrong.

uh oh

There are 3 men trying to put a 98 transmission into my 93 as I type...is there no way?

I asked and he assured me it was do-able. :(

A93 is a 4 Speed Auto, a 98 is a 5 speed auto, it will bolt in but it won't work. The 93 computer will not operate a 5 speed auto.

A93 is a 4 Speed Auto, a 98 is a 5 speed auto, it will bolt in but it won't work. The 93 computer will not operate a 5 speed auto.

Tru-dat. The '98 is a computer controlled transmission. '93 is not.

uh oh

There are 3 men trying to put a 98 transmission into my 93 as I type...is there no way?
Last I checked a few years ago, there is a way. I don't recall who, but someone made (I assume they still make) a stand alone controller for the 5R55 series transmissions to allow these kind of swaps. From what I recall, they are pretty expensive, though. I believe the 5R55S swap thread describes the controller unit and how it installs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back