95-96 4WDs....I need your help.

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
For those familiar with the vacuum system/4WD system....

The black plastic ball on the passenger side of the engine bay has vacuum lines coming off of it going somewhere, perhaps to the firewall. Can anybody tell me where those lines go? Mine have disconnected and I can't find the missing vacuum line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That ball isnt for the 4wd system. I have the same one in my 98 and, as you know, 97 and above doesnt have the vacuum disco axle.

I can look as to where it goes but you'll have to wait till late tomorrow as my vehicle is not where I am located. So hopefully some one will chime in before.

EDIT: after looking at chrisis' post, I may not be talking about the same thing as you are, so ignore me :D

actually i cut those red lines when i was installing my k&n filter and i lost 4wd.

let me know if you need any more help.

chrisis -- yeah I just saw your thread. Strange though that the 97 and up SOHC engines also have that black globe too -- for other reasons.

Ah chris, thank you. So the vac lines go to the area under the air filter? Where do the lines come from that supply the ball with vacuum?

Aldive tryied to figure out if he had the glove ball in his 99 sohc and he never found it.

i thought that only ohv engines had it.

i'm not sure about that, but i will try to figure out.

I'm gonna look harder tomorrow when I have some time, but I do know that a line is disconnected from the ball. I'm almost certain that's why my vacuum-operated 4x4 disco is not working and possibly why my heat is only coming out of the defrost vents.

Aldive tryied to figure out if he had the glove ball in his 99 sohc and he never found it.

i thought that only ohv engines had it.
My 98 and my brother's 97 both have it (both are SOHC). Of course both are also 4x4 so this just adds to the confusion. But I think they are located behind the fender and behind the passenger headlight. I'm 100% positive whats on the 97+ are not being used for the 4x4 though because the vacuum lines coming from this ball are TINY compared to the ones in your pics

Aldives explorer is 2 wheel drive so that starts to make sence

Aldives explorer is 2 wheel drive so that starts to make sence
Thats whats confusing me though -- because the 97 and up didn't have a 4wd system that was vacuum actuated.

Hartman
One line is supply vacuum, other goes to HVAC, operates the vacuum motors for blend door, vent function door

Since engine vacuum changes thru the rev range, this bottle stabilizes it for consistent operation.

I relocated mine when my tire scuffed it

jtsmith how come only 4x4 explorers have the vaccume cannister?
how the HVAC works on those which they don`t have the vaccume cannister?

I believe 97+ HVAC doesn't rely on the canister.

Mine is a 1998 with cannister.

hijack.gif

We so hijacked this thread :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back