96 V8 has no AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 V8 has no AWD

When the rear wheels spin out, the VC ( viscous coupler) engages and drives a cog which is wrapped by the internal chain to power the front drive output shaft ( yoke)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the rear wheels spin out, the VC ( viscous coupler) engages and drives a cog which is wrapped by the internal chain to power the front drive output shaft ( yoke)

So this is all in the torque converter?

Alright gents, here's a very small update.

After A LOT of deliberation about what to do with this infernal machine, I've decided to pursue this oil pressure issue. The result will be the deciding factor in whether I keep this X or junk/sell it.

In lieu of this decision, I have purchased an oil pressure gauge from HF. I was going to install it first thing tomorrow morning and see what's what. Then I remembered I have the upper intake manifold torn off. F!!

Well, the intake manifold gaskets I ordered STILL aren't here!! F the F'in USPS!
I had ordered an upper rad hose as well and that's not here, either. I ordered these parts on Tuesday and they are only coming from NY. Christ all effing mighty I'm ONLY IN PA and these parts still have not arrived. I could have driven there (and back) myself 100 times by now.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter because:
1) I had a death in the family 2 weekends ago. Life has been just a little different since...

2) I'm WAAAAAYY too busy with other things right now. Hell, my 76 Trans Am has been put on hold for FAR too long now just because life gets in the way.

3) I bought this vehicles as a winter beater. The weather has been cooperating so far.

I'll post more when parts come in and I have a little time on my hands.

Sorry for your loss. I look forward to hearing how it goes whenever you have time. Take care.

Thanks DrDoom.

I finally got a few hours to myself today so I finished taking the intake manifold and valve covers off. I was determined to prove or disprove a bent pushrod.

Well I got the top all uncovered and wow it all looked pretty damned clean. Nothing bent, no sludge, and everything was tight.

Well, my intake manifold gasket and upper rad hose FINALLY came in the mail yesterday so I got the lower intake manifold back on and then I had to do other things.

I did NOT, however, like the looks of this:

20141209_124914_zps5ba20604.jpg

Like my home made bolt cleaning machine?

20141209_141938_zps86c78329.jpg

Soon as I get everything else bolted together, I'll be testing the oil pressure the RIGHT way.

OK! The results are in. I managed to get the upper/lower intake all put back together. Then I was putting my brand new wires back on and I noticed one was frayed. Grrrrrrrr

So after that fiasco, I put my new HF Oil Pressure Tester to the test, lol.

30 psi holding steady at idle. I didn't even thing to rev it and see what happens. That will be a project for the weekend (IF I have time). Even so, if the oil pump was bad, wouldn't I be getting ZERO psi at idle?

OK! The results are in. I managed to get the upper/lower intake all put back together. Then I was putting my brand new wires back on and I noticed one was frayed. Grrrrrrrr

So after that fiasco, I put my new HF Oil Pressure Tester to the test, lol.

30 psi holding steady at idle. I didn't even thing to rev it and see what happens. That will be a project for the weekend (IF I have time). Even so, if the oil pump was bad, wouldn't I be getting ZERO psi at idle?

I think you are going to be happy.
Did you replace the bad wire? How does it sound now?

I replaced all 8 eight wires. It sounds about the same as it did. I got finished with all this really late last night, plus with 3 feet of snow and everything else going on, I didn't have a chance to test drive it.

However, now that I'm 99% confident that the oil pump ISN'T the problem, the chances of me keeping this X are a lot better.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. I checked the in-dash oil pressure at idle with the sender off and wire disconnected. It still read exactly halfway. Should have read ZERO. So I either have a bad guage or faulty wiring.

OK one last update before I tear back into "Sploder"

I didn't want to use my Camry to navigate the icy roads around town so I thought screw it, a nice long test drive is just what I need.

The good: No leaks from the upper/lower intake manifold gasket job. The AWD seems to be working about 75% of the time (after topping off the transfer case fluid).

The bad: Check engine light is now on. I had it scanned at Auto Zone and they say it's the throttle position sensor. I probably forgot to plug it back in.

Now, halfway through my test drive, I had almost NO power, and it ran like crap. I checked my brand new plug wires and one had fallen off! Ok so easy fix.

Then, LOL, I heard what sounded like an exhaust pipe being dragged under the chassis. It only lasted a few minutes and then whatever it was fell off. The exhaust is no louder, and I don't notice any difference in anything else, so I'll have to investigate that some more tomorrow.

Oh and one last thing. I'm noticing really a really high RPM first gear shift. I'll look into this later.

There's a Ford TSB about high RPM 1-2 shifts on the 4R70W - the accumulator bore gets scuffed and prevents pressure from building up like it should.

The fix is supposedly easy and can be done with just the pan removed. I think its just one snap ring and the accumulator piston will come out.

Here is the TSB.

http://www.cvpi.org/archives/p71interceptor/tranny/accumulators/tsb971111.pdf

Thanks for that.

I'll be diving into that one later. Right now, I need to figure out the TPS code.

Thanks for that.

I'll be diving into that one later. Right now, I need to figure out the TPS code.

those things are touchy, and easily damaged. What was he exact code?

those things are touchy, and easily damaged. What was he exact code?

The Auto Zone guy didn't say. He only said "Throttle Position Sensor". I do have a scanner myself but it doesn't interface with the vehicle for some reason.

On a more humorous side, I decided to check the passenger side brake caliper bracket because I could hear grinding/popping from that side. I already knew about the loose caliper bracket bolt issue, but...

LOL here's what I found!

20141212_185406_zpsb8914841.jpg

If it's not 200% obvious what the issue is, I don't know what then.

So, I pulled that rogue piece of metal out from between the rotor and the dust shield. Then I checked the pad..

20141212_185546_zps39ffa9f8.jpg

Ya know... I've put pads on backwards before (oddly enough all on Fords) but cripes how does one make a mistake like that?

Well, needless to say, the pads and rotor on the passenger side are pretty much done for. Not a big deal. For now, I put everything back together how it's supposed to be but I'll replace everything in due time.

Now, as for the TPS, I've sprayed it down with brake cleaner in an attempt to clean it and replaced the gasket. We shall see what happens.

Wow so much for the original topic of this thread.

Yikes. Looks like my buddies moms brake pads. She was wondering why they were making a noise... How on earth do you get a piece of metal lodged in there like that!

Well... it was still working :D

Yikes. Looks like my buddies moms brake pads. She was wondering why they were making a noise... How on earth do you get a piece of metal lodged in there like that!

I have no idea. To add the shenanigans of this Sploder, I went out to start it this morning and it barely started, then stalled after 10 seconds. Cranked it again and it fired up then died.

Cranked it AGAIN, ran for 10 seconds and died. Now I could smell fuel, and I mean bad. I looked underneath the chassis and there's gas all over the floor of my garage :eek:

I didn't even try to start it back up after that. Pulled it out of the garage using my g/f's Jeep and parked it in the driveway. 2 boxes of cat litter later and well I'm good for now.

I'll check what happened in the morning. It's been a LONG friggin day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X, Mounty, and Ranger fans alike, the final verdict is in on this POS that I paid $300 for.

My father and I pulled the gas tank tonight and saw this:

20141214_184510_zpseddc39c7.jpg

( ^^ OK I can't get this pic to rotate correctly for some reason)

20141214_184501_zps8fe6d255.jpg

20141214_184554_zpsf298a717.jpg

And lastly, the one fuel line was leaking BAD. It even pulled right off without the special too. I believe it was the bottom one. It looks perfectly fine which is what I don't understand.

20141214_184628_zpsfd96e0ab.jpg

Ok so there you have it. Now, can someone tell me the names of these parts that are broken so I can order them... or at least try trolling the local J/Y....

Back