98 Explorer Cranks but will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Cranks but will not start

jrham

Reaction score
City, State
Bardstown, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
My 98 Explorer has been acting different lately. Sometimes it will crank over fast but will not fire and start. Then next time it will start normally. Right now it is in the non start mode. I am going to pull a plug wire this morning and see it it is firing but thought others might have an idea what is going on. Could this be a wire loose or something similar? Explorer has 84000 actual accurate miles on it.
Any help appreciated
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

John if you have a helper have them turn the key to ON while you listen for the fuel pump. It should run for a second or so to prime the system. Also there is a good thread here with the No-Start Procedure. It has a full checklist.

IF you have an OBD 2 scanner check for RPM while cranking... If not CPS.
If you have a FP tester, check for pressure should be btwn 35 and 42 while cranking.

Try cleaning your MAF also.. Easy stuff first!

Thanks for the replies but I am just an old shade tree mechanic. What does obd2,cps,fp, maf stand for? Worked on a lot of engines in my time but have only tools, timing light and a few other tools. I am 76 years old and still going strong. But never claimed to be a mechanic. I did check the check list and most things on there are ok. Have fuel, engines cranks fast enough to get good oil pressure, theft light blinks correctly, check engine light goes out, have not checked fuel pump but will when rain quits. Not completely sure how to check pats.

98 Explorer Running Again

Read all the info I could. Went out and crawled under the old girl and wiggled the wire connection on the CPS. Got back in the seat and it cranked up instantly. Must have a bad connection at CPS. How does a guy get the connection apart? Can you use long nose pliers and pull it apart? How is the connection made? Will go down tomorrow morning and look at a new CPS and see the connection.
Thanks for all the replies. For now the old girl runs.
John

crankshaft position sensor

CkpSensor.jpg

CkpSensorReplace.jpg

Are you saying that I should replace or can I just clean the connections?
What do I need to remove to get access to the critter?

access to CKP sensor

Normally the CKP sensor is accessed by reaching upward from under the vehicle. I can't remember if you squeeze or pry to get the connector tab to release from the "tit" shown in the photo. Disconnecting and reconnecting a few times will "clean" the electrical pins of the connector. I posted the instructions for replacing the CKP sensor in case you choose to do so. There is often a question about how far to position the sensor from the harmonic balancer.

CKP replacement part

I have the CKP off of my 1998 Explorer but it does not look like the parts I bought from Auto Zone or Advance Auto. The new ones look like the picture above. Have they redesigned the part? The holes match up but sensor is different.
John

CKP Sensor Picture

Mine looks like that on that side but the other side looks different on my old one and the new one.
John

My 1998 would cranked, but won't start. Popped hood and found this. Should that be loose?

I jiggled it a bit to figure out what it connected to and then it started.
20171112_121610.jpg

Thanks for reply.

So not related to cranking but not starting problem, correct?

It did finally start. Ran some errands. Tried starting a couple hours later and it struggled to start. It tried to catch and died twice. Sat a for minute and tried again and it started.

I'll take it to a mechanic tomorrow, if it starts.

Back