99' 4.0 - 4wd to 2wd Conversion to do list. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99' 4.0 - 4wd to 2wd Conversion to do list.

taylorpro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys. HATE to make a thread in which there are other threads, but most are 2wd to 4wd, or people doing awd/5.0 trucks. My car is a 99 4.0 sohc. Automatic, i believe the 5r55e. Reason I'm doing this is A) have yet to even attempt turning the 4wd on since i bought the truck a year ago; have no urge too. B) the front diff leaks out of the pinion seal C) right front hub is getting noisy. D) I can lower the front a little to even out the rear sag from my audio.lol

Basically what I'm looking to do is this. In the summer, I'm pulling the trans to have it freshened up, and put a new converter in it. While I'm there, I'd like to ditch the front pumpkin, front driveshaft, and CV's.

My questions start now. First, I've read the only things i need in the front suspension are front spindles, and new rotors. Is this it? Calipers, caliper mounts, and all that remain the same?

Next, when i drop the trans, I'll have to unbolt the transfer case anyway, I was curious what is needed to do away with it? I heard some mumbo jumbo about needing to change the tail of the tranny case since the 4wd models use a short one to compensate for the Transfer case. If I were to use the 2wd tail case, and the 2wd driveshaft, I'd be A-ok correct?

Also, by ditching the transfer case, am I going to lose any functionality? Read somewhere on an AWD thread that that version would lose park my removing the transfer case...

Please don't suggest me buying a 2wd. I love my truck. Have already invested time to do the timing chains. And the motor runs strong. The truck is in excellent shape. I just want to shed some unnecessary gear :)

Thanks for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a good 2wd drive trans,,,Wanna trade:D

I thing the spindles have to be changed in order to keep the wheels on, other wise without part of the 4wd stuff the wheels will just fall off with the spindles.

Make the trans trade happen, I'll give you the stuff I have off a 2000 Sport I have;)

You pay for the shipping and I'll give you all the 2wd front stuff with the trans;)

**** man.lol. I'm not ready to make moves till summer time. And I have no idea what shipping would be.

Any input on the output tail being different?

**** man.lol. I'm not ready to make moves till summer time. And I have no idea what shipping would be.

Any input on the output tail being different?

Think about it let me know;) It's not going anywhere. It's all sitting in my dad backyard still all attached to the truck, I just need a 4wd trans and not the 2wd I have for a project. We can come up with some creative ways to ship a trans, that wouldn't cost to much.

You can't just pull the t-case and put on the 2wd rear housing. Doesn't work that way. 2wd has the shaft all built into it.

Now what you maybe could do..and it probably would work, but I've never heard of anyone doing it is to use a 1350 dummy case from a B2.

2wd Bronco II's used a dummy 1350 case, so they could use all the same drive shafts. If you could find one, it would bolt right up. You would just have the 4wd light blinking all the time, but that would happen with a 2wd trans too.

Think about it let me know;) It's not going anywhere. It's all sitting in my dad backyard still all attached to the truck, I just need a 4wd trans and not the 2wd I have for a project. We can come up with some creative ways to ship a trans, that wouldn't cost to much.

You can't just pull the t-case and put on the 2wd rear housing. Doesn't work that way. 2wd has the shaft all built into it.

Now what you maybe could do..and it probably would work, but I've never heard of anyone doing it is to use a 1350 dummy case from a B2.

2wd Bronco II's used a dummy 1350 case, so they could use all the same drive shafts. If you could find one, it would bolt right up. You would just have the 4wd light blinking all the time, but that would happen with a 2wd trans too.

Is there anyway to convert the 4wd trans? If it turns into a huge issue, I'll just leave the damn transfer case in it and let it spin with no front components

also, out of curiousity, do the 4wd and 2wd 5r55e's both use the same converter and controller?

The 2wd and 4wd are the same trans but use a different inner shaft. You'd have to disassemble the hole trans to make it work.

Yes you could just leave it in there. But that doesn't help me:dunno:

:p:

I'd REALLY like to go 5.0 with the 2wd 4r70w, convert the front and be done with it. ahaha. but that entails an entire donor harness, and all the other ****. What will LIKELY happen is me just swapping the spindles, and leaving the tranny and transfer case thats in there, in there. If only i could find a smashed up 2wd, 4d, 5.0 for like 5-600 :p

Back