'99 V8 AWD chassis under '96 V8 body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 V8 AWD chassis under '96 V8 body

Well, this is my project:

I came across a '99 Explorer V8 AWD rolling chassis with 1,400 miles on the drivetrain. I got the whole package for damn cheap. Anyway, this weekend I am going to basically slap the body of my current '96 V8 (with 135,000 miles and a bent frame) onto the new, factory-fresh chassis.

So, does anyone have any advice for me before I begin this project? I'm assuming the '96 and '99 V8's are the same aside from the GT40/GT40P heads, right?

Give me input and advice!

I'll have plenty of pics and stuff afterwards!

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 5,682

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace the oil pan now if it needs it.... ;) dont want to ahve to spend 1000 down the road replacing it.

If you dont mind me asking... how much did you get that for? If you originally had a V6 would it still just bolt right up?

Well the 99 has an improved tranny and a returnless fuel system but that really shouldn't affect swapping your body onto it.

Let's see, ya don't have to worry about 4x4 wiring......so ya have brake attachments, shifter attachments, and all the stuff that bolts inside the engine bay.

I guess it would just be a matter of hooking up the dash wiring in the big square connector under the hood.

But don't be suprised if you run into some problems along the way :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Chris.. I got the whole deal for $1050. Which is amazingly cheap. And if I originally had a V6 there would be a little more modifications needed. Like the different radiators, probably cruise control, the wire harnesses might even be different. I don't think it would be as smooth. But I don't know. Everything could be the same even. I just know the radiators are different.

As for things I know I need to disconnect:

Cruise Control
Radiator Hoses
Steering shaft
Master cylinder
Ebrake
transmission linkage

& probably tons of other things I can't think of. It'll be nice having an Explorer with 1,400 miles on it again! I think I'm going to get a supercharger when I sell off all the old stuff. :D
Wire harnesses

What exactly does the 'returnless fuel system' do? How is it different than my '96 5.0?

Your 1996 has two different fuel lines: 1. One line brings the fuel from the pump to the fuel rails and injectors. 2. Any unused fuel is then sent back to the tank where it is recycled and used again.

The 1999 Returnless setup only use 1 fuel line. It has a special regulating device on the pump that controls how much fuel it sends to the injectors.

My advice would be to swap the 1996 Fuel system on to the 1999 car, because the 1996 computer system is not compatible with the 1999 motor.....or vise a versa.

Hope this Helps!! By the way..... You scored a great deal!!!

Al

Well I went and picked up my donor truck chassis today. It was the first time I saw it in person. The reason the chassis is a chassis and not an Explorer is because it was an insurance fraud truck (I guess you would say). Whoever bought it back in '99 decided they didn't want to make payments anymore so they set the interior on fire. Nice huh? Well, the guy assured me that although some stuff in the engine compartment was on fire, the engine was still in great condition. As I drove into his driveway I saw the front of the chassis (mainly the fan) and was a little worried.

So I got it home and decided to tear into it a little. The guy was right. The fuel rails, fan, altinator, and a few harnesses are the only things that were really damaged. I checked under the valve covers and the engine is perfect. Looks brand new (which is basically is). So my Dad and I are fairly certain after some minor rebuilding, this 5.0 should rock. Here are a couple photos to hold you guys over till I get some wheels and tires on it (so I can get the damn thing off the trailer).

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

I think I might change the cam while the motor is out and about. I'm gonna have to research it a little more though...
Dead Link Removed

cool.. best of luck with the project.. keep us updated

Since it looks like your 1999 wiring got toasted, You'll need to swap all the wiring off your 1996 frame to the 1999 frame. You'll also want to change to Return Style fuel system. You should be able to get evrtying needed to replace burnt parts off of your 1996 5.0

Good Luck!
Al

Attachments

• swap4.jpg
    swap4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 5,159

Attachments

• swap5.jpg
    swap5.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 3,111

Thats pretty cool. how did you tweak the current frame?

Some kid pulled out in front of me. I locked them up but still plowed into the back of his little Tempo.

Originally posted by section525
Some kid pulled out in front of me. I locked them up but still plowed into the back of his little Tempo.

Yeah, that would do it. :)

It's actually only bent in the very front parts. Nothing is really affected except the sheet metal is all skewed to the right. %$#@@!#

I pulled off the intake, valve covers, and manifold on the new 5.0. Everything looks sweet. I just need to do a little cleaning. The injectors even looked good although one of the connectors was a tad bit melted. All in all I think this is going to be a smoooth runnin motor. As long as I can figure out this EGR thing. The oil filter is also in a different place than my 5.0s.

Is there anything I can be doing while reasembling that'll increase power? I know a cam would and stuff.. but I mean larger injectors or anything?

I finally got the old melted fan off tonight. When I put a new one on I think I'll use the right tools for the job. :D But it's off now.

Right now I am waiting for some answers before I can move foward.

I need to solve the whole EGR dilema. I've posted some messages on a few Mustang forums and I'm waiting for some answers. I might have to get some GT-40 heads to put on the '99 engine.

Once I figure that out, I just need to gasket and reasemble!

I need to make sure the tranny will plug right into my harness.

Then I can lift the body, swap the fuel system, switches chassis, bolt her down, load on the 32's and go! :D (In theory)

The EGR situation is very simple:

Your 1996 has an internal EGR valve. The 1999 has an external EGR valve.
Here is what you do:

Unbolt the 90 degree Throttle Body Bend on you 96 Explorer. Install it on your 1999 engine, and plug the EGR hole in the 1999 headers. It's as simple as that. OR...... if you insist on keeping the 99 style EGR setup.... Find an Explorer that has a 90 degree TB bend for a 97-01 5.0 explorer. Install it, and find a way to modify the wiring to work with an external EGR.

Like I said, though, TAKE the Hassle out of the EGR issue. Just use you internal EGR from your 96 motor. PLUG N PLAY!!!!

Al

Unbolt the 90 degree Throttle Body Bend on you 96 Explorer. Install it on your 1999 engine, and plug the EGR hole in the 1999 headers. It's as simple as that.

Wouldn't that result in having no EGR valve?

Sorry.. I'm a little lost. Let me paint the scenerio I see...

On my '96 I have an internal EGR valve. So are you saying somewhere on the heads a wire harness goes into the internal valve? If so, I can take that same harness and relocate it to "where" on the '99 with the P heads?

Thanks! I saw your post over at Corral.net about something similar and I was gonna ask you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

section525

1996 Explorers had Internal EGR valves. Go look at your 96 5.0. Notice how it has a big square 90 Degree bend coming out of the intake? Now, notice how there is a Valve attached to that intake? (located between firewall and 90 degree bend) The internal EGR on your explorer works by sucking in exhaust gas through passages that are built in to your upper and lower intake manifold and then releasing it in to your intake air chambers. The 1999 Manifold should have these inner pasages built in to it too. An External EGR (like on the 99 X) works by taking air from the headers....notice that bung on the passnger side header?. It then pipes it up to the 90 degree bend where it is sucked in to the intake. Unfortunately, from the pictures, the 1999 90 degree throttle body bend is missing, thus causing you to be confused.

If you are confused...... Go look at a 97+ Explorer with external EGR.

Please don't make this hard on yourself. it is so very simple. Take the 90 degree bend off your 96, and bolt it up to the 99 manifold....... Install your 96 wiring harness, andit'll be plug n play.

Good Luck,
Al

Back