'99 V8 AWD chassis under '96 V8 body | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 V8 AWD chassis under '96 V8 body

Well, this is my project:

I came across a '99 Explorer V8 AWD rolling chassis with 1,400 miles on the drivetrain. I got the whole package for damn cheap. Anyway, this weekend I am going to basically slap the body of my current '96 V8 (with 135,000 miles and a bent frame) onto the new, factory-fresh chassis.

So, does anyone have any advice for me before I begin this project? I'm assuming the '96 and '99 V8's are the same aside from the GT40/GT40P heads, right?

Give me input and advice!

I'll have plenty of pics and stuff afterwards!

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 5,682

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey now......lots not be so negative............ This tranny only has 1,400 miles. From what I hear S525 is not drivign it far until the bugs are figured out.

Right not his tranny is suffering from a low line pressure caused by some faulty engine sensor......

Al

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Not trying to be negative, and I in no way claim to be an expert in tranny problems, but I'm just saying that I had the exact same problem and that's what happened.

However, I guess it does seem unlikely considering the mileage.

Well, I just went to my uncle's shop and got the codes pulled. There was a small library of them.

P0500
P0713
P0750
P1746

Not bad huh? The guy there thought it was an electrical issue (which I hope it is). As soon as Asp84 gets his ass out of bed, he's going to trouble shoot the codes with his trick 4r70w book.

I also put the bumpers back on today. My 3" lift brackets wouldn't work on the 99 frame so I had to take em off. Now its 3" too low again! :mad: I guess I'll have to fab up some new ones.

Other than that, I have a squeeky pully, bad wipers, and my steering wheel is still crooked. :confused:

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,624

Just minor inconviences. Think about the task you just completed! I was thinking of the same thing, rather than swaping my drivertrain/suspension, just swab body's with a 4wd sport. Well i figuered it would be way to much work, so kudos (sp?) to you.

Chris

According to Section 525's OBDII codes:
He has a faulty EPC valve, Shift Solenoid 1 and faulty tranny temp sensor. Instead of the EPC solenoid going in to fail safe mode, which would apply max line pressure, the EPC circuit is not opening, causing soft shifts and clutch slippage. (which will eventually lead to tranny failure) Therefore, S525 will be performing Continuity, Resistance and voltage tests using a DVOM to get to the bottom of this problem, and to find where the open circuit is. I highly doubt that the solenoids are faulty considering this is a brand new transmission with 1,400 miles on it. My guess is that ford changed the internal wirign harness and ground connections between those sensors. .....and we will find out shortly.

Al

Day 7!

Pardon my French, but, holy $h!t. Asp84 is the damn man. This is what we did:

I was in CA, in a garage, with my laptop and digital camera.

Asp84 was in AZ, in his apt, with wiring diagrams and manuals.

I was under the truck, two trannies torn apart, trying to solve my slipping transmission and four "your tranny will blow" codes. Some how, my good buddy Asp84 comes up with this theory and diagram:
Dead Link Removed
Now to the untrained eye this could be confusing! :confused: But what it means is cut here, snip there, spice here, and BAM... I have a custom tranny harness.

Well I plugged the ******* in and guess what? No codes! No lights flashing! Shifts awesome! :cool:

Too freakin cool! Thanks Asp84! :D

Now a few more small things and I will officially be SWAPPED!

Sounds like it is all working out for you. I want to say that sure is a nice swap you did. The only thing I would have done different is installed some kind of low range T-case.

I have one Question for you on the 4R70W if the sensor is different on the 99 Tranny is there not a way to install the 96 sensor on the 99 tranny. just curious.

Kris, apparently in the internal wiring harness in the 99 tranny, Ford combined a couple wires together. So the 96 harness had two wires that were not being connected to anything internally (which they should have been and which were giving me the codes and poor shifting). So what we did was combine the same wires (externally) to match the internals on the 99.

We were in the process of swap out the tranny solenoids and internal wiring harnesses. I had the guts torn out of the 96 and found that to remove the harness connector (that goes to the outside of the tranny) I would have had to remove the entire valve body. Luckly Al came up with another plan before I torn the two trannys completely apart. This was, I can still sell my tranny as a 96 and still have all brand new internal parts in my 99.

Swapping in a Control Trac, like Standx2s, will probably be my next drivetrain project. This was the first time I have ever done anything like this (it was MUCH larger then I thought it would be), and I didn't want to stray too far into the unknown. Ha. I ended up doing that any. But as soon as I work out the bugs in this new ride.. I can start planning my next mods!

I see now how that could have been a big pain.

Looking good.

looks great so far,

question - how do you, and/or can you roll back the odometer to the 1400+/- miles?

whats the legality on this?
i guess you have to stick with the vin# on the dash? does the odometer go with the body, or frame? i'm guessing body?

enjoy the AWD. it hasn't snowed in florida, but the AWD is great here in the worst of rains.

you'll wonder why everyone is driving sooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwww.

keep us updated on performance, fun, frustrations, e.t.c.

I'm just going to keep track of when I did the swap on my odo (135,500) for now. I'm planning on getting a speedo cluster from an 01 or 02 sport/sport trac (the white and silver clusters). Asp told me that it's illegal to change or alter your speedometer. But he said something like after 8 or 10 years, they don't keep track of odos anymore. Since I plan on keeping mine for awhile.. I'll probably change it.

EDIT: I already had a little fun in it last night. I decided to test out the AWD in our freshly rained in arena. It's very sloppy and soft out there. The AWD did awesome (didn't get stuck!) and I climbed a steep, muddy hill out there. Spun all four most of the way up.. but it made it. Last year my Dad got his brand new Crew Cab F350 4x4 buried up the the axles out there. Luckly my motor doesnt weigh 4,000lbs. :D

Originally posted by terdrocket
looks great so far,

question - how do you, and/or can you roll back the odometer to the 1400+/- miles?

whats the legality on this?
i guess you have to stick with the vin# on the dash? does the odometer go with the body, or frame? i'm guessing body?

enjoy the AWD. it hasn't snowed in florida, but the AWD is great here in the worst of rains.

you'll wonder why everyone is driving sooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwww.

keep us updated on performance, fun, frustrations, e.t.c.

As dumb as it is, it's always illegal to tamper with the odometer, even if your intent is to represent actual mileage (whether it's more or less than displayed).

Good Point. I don't know if Section 525 lives in an emission restricted area......but, as long as he is going to emissions, they will check the odometer, your wouldn't want to be reporting any funny numbers. Just keep track of when you did the conversion. The salvage title for the 1999 Explorer is on carfax and hsould show the correct mileage.

Good Luck,
Al

Well after a five day break (we moved across town) I'm back online!

I finally got my ebrake hooked back up. I attempted to align the steering wheel, but failed once again! :rolleyes:

Oh, I installed my Add-a-leafs and shackles and did the TT again. I got three inches from the aals and shacks. :D I only did a little less than 2" on the TT now that I have CVs!

Here is the most recent pic of it (3 mins ago)

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,598

Phew......... I thought we had lost you for awhile there section....... lol

Truck looks good........ Not enough mud on it though for a 4x4 truck!!! Did you ever get that VSS issue resolved? Whats it gonna take to get it fixed?

Good Luck!
Al

that is darn cool good job.....

awesome work, section!! quick question--what brand of add a leaf do you have? i am looking for just about one inch more in the rear, to level things out a bit. also where did you get the aal? thanks in advance!

Doug.. I got the ProComp #13120. When I first put them on I got about 1 5/8" out of them. Also, get them from summitracing.com. They were cheap and arrived a day and a half after I ordered them. :D

thank you very much! i will look into it. btw...have they settled at all? 1 5/8" may be a little too much...

Back