• Register Today It's free!

a few questions about my '91

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Alright, first thing I'll say is this: YES, I AM GOING TO LOWER A 4X4!

The vehicle in question is my '91. I'd like an aggressive, slightly lowered stance. i'd like to keep my 4wd because this is the pacific northwest; snow, ice, and poor weather happens often. Here are my questions

1.) How much can I lower the front end without requiring drop beams? I really only want to do about a 2/3 drop. Can I do it without major modification?

2.) I can't help but notice that mustang wheels are the same bolt pattern as Explorer wheels. Would I be able to fit some cobra-style 17x9's under my '91?

For all of you who are about to say "v8 swap it and lift it instead", save your comments. That's what the '92 will be for.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you even go about lowering the front end on a TTB? Do they make shorter coils?

If you can get it to go, you can most likely go 2" without alignment issues. You can go up 2" so I can't see why you can't go down. You may be in uncharted territory for a 1st Gen 4x4 so you could be in for a lot of trial and error. If you drop it, just make sure your bump stops are going to stop the engine crossmember from hitting the front diff.

The mustang wheels will bolt on but the offset may be really out of wack. they will probably be in way to far and rub on your frame or more likely your sway bar.

I have a feeling if you want drop beams for the TTB, you better be a good welder...

l8psiexplorer seems to run them in his rig just fine
PA120267.jpg

and ironically, his wife's ex-explorer is part of the inspiration for this project
explorerRyan003.jpg

the other half of my inspiration came from a pic i saw a long time ago back when I owned my durango. it took me half an hour to find it again! lol
DSC00120.jpg

totm-2005-12.jpg

i hate to be a pic *****, but spdrcer34 pretty much has what i'm looking to get in the end, only his is MUCH lower than i'd want mine to be

dsc04098cg5.jpg

i just came to a realization. I can't use mustang wheels and have locking front hubs, right?

i was thinking of widening the center hole, but that seems sorta sketchy as far as integrity goes. if others have done it and proven it to be completely safe, then i suppose i could try it.

Not without a machine shop. But it could be done.

Keep us posted!

if my research and calculations are correct, 3.5mm will have to be taken off around the factory center bore (the explorer's wheels have a 7mm wider bore than the mustang's) so i doubt it would be that big of a deal.

scratch that, my research wasn't correct. nobody on the internet knows what they're talking about, i guess

Hey, I recognize that pic........I TOOK IT! LOL

I took it a few minutes before I put it on the Dyno for the first time...

I have since installed a V8, and the weight would have been too much for my already lowered stance. So I pulled the lowering springs, and put the stock springs back in, now it looks almost the same as it did with the V6/2" drop springs.

I will sell you my springs if you are interested in them. They are 2" Belltech Drop springs.

Ryan

Heres some more inspiration

highresloweredex2bmp.jpg

those are some pretty rockin explorers

I've never seen that last one....where did you get that pic from? any better pics of those rockers?

Ryan

Got it from google. I think the side skirts were for a toyota specifically.

nice x's. droping its on thing. im getting motivated this summer by pullin the 4x4 completly off mine and put a 2wd front end out of the junkyard on it and bag it.

Back