Accessories for under $10.00 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accessories for under $10.00

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Everybody wants the big stuff, like winches or rocksliders, but what are some of the things that you take along with you as fixit things that are under $10.00.
I think that alot of newbies probably don't think about things like this, and it would be great information.
Many of us take the same things, but there is always something different that someone has.

I'll start off with a few things that I keep with me on trail rides.

Tire plug kit and extra plugs....... $7.00
JB weld........................................$2.50
bailing wire..................................$0.50
Duct tape.....................................$0.75
Cable ties ( have used these many times)..Free from work

Please only list your items and maybe a reason why you might need it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's not forget are misc. fluids (oil, power steering, etc...). All can be purchased (sperately of course) for under $10. And JB Weld is a great thing. Also, Latex gloves and shop towels can make fix-its on the trail a whole lot easier.

I was messing around with a buddy of mine in his Tacoma, when we slid down this hill (bottoming out). We we're just messing around on our way to a favorite fishing hole. Anyway, we came back to the truck to find most of his oil on the ground. We wiped the pan down with a towel and found that we had cracked the pan where the drain plug is when we bottomed out. Luckily, we we're able to JB Weld the crack and he just happened to have a couple quarts of oil. Saved our butts that day.

-Justin

Cheap set of ratchet straps from Wal-Mart... $9.95
Extra fuel/vacuum hoses and clamps...$8
Bottle of Waterless hand cleaner....$4.95

The ratchet straps have many uses. Good for strapping loose body parts and bumpers in place, or to hold an exhaust system in place. JoshC even used them to help steer his truck when the track bar broke.

Fuel/vacuum hose can be used for the obvious, or to get gear oil into a differential housing

Hand cleaner....you do the math :D

WD-40 - Help keep water out of your winch cable, and anywhere else water does not need to be:D

Not really a fix it item but I carry several 3/4 Shackles/Clevis rings which I get for around $9 each. Nice for attaching tow straps together, etc. With a little creativity it could be used to hold together a broken leaf spring or useful in strapping something together to hold a broken part :D

gloves
air horn (uses a disposable canister)
inflation gauge
tire deflators (homemade or bought)
1/4" camp rope
battery powered light
electrical wire
bungie cords
hose clamps
test light
fuses
maps
hat
wire stripper/crimper
electrical tape

Those are some things I carry.

seeing as there is a price limit on this thread,

$10 worth of duct tape.
$5 pair of cheap gloves from the hardware store.
$10 Floor mats (these can actually get you unstuck easily, in a snow/ice situation, as when they are placed under the tires, they will gain traction between the ice and the tire. only for a moment, but sometimes its enough to get momentum and slide your way off the trail)

A BFH :hammer:

Back