adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

james t
I don't need to adjust anything now (I got the right voltage), and I didn't need to adjust my trottle cable. Everything seems to be fine with my truck. (Knock on wood). I must be lucky. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, What should be the voltage at WOT. I got 4.7 V and I think someone mentioned 4.0 V in this thread. Is 4.7 V OK?

Ok. Well checked the voltage using the ground wire, same thing, 1V. Maybe my multimeter doesn't do decimals? (Though it should for its price...), So for now I'm assuming it's 1. Do you think this would make much of a difference if I got it down to .96?

I really want to test mine but my multi meter is mia. I hope to find it soon. My cable was ok also.

huskyfan23
To check your mulimeter, just get any 1.5V battery (from a CD player or a remote control) and check the voltage.

Originally posted by Shurup
By the way, What should be the voltage at WOT. I got 4.7 V and I think someone mentioned 4.0 V in this thread. Is 4.7 V OK?

yes, up to 5 v or so 4.85 I think is max.

Just checked with a 1.5V, reads 1, so I guess I got ripped off... kinda. Where's a good place to get a digital multimeter for cheap?

RadioShack

Ok, now when doing the holes w/ a 1st gen, how do I do it? It's got these metal spacer-type things in each hole... Do I have to take these out?

do the following at your own risk, this is just what I would do...

if it were mine, i would look at possibly drilling out the sleeves if they were thin enough, and then slotting the holes. of course, this is just what I would do. if i were you, i wouldnt do that. ;)

I just drilled those metal sleeves right out. No problems with it yet. i checked the voltage again last night to see if it would move without those sleeves and it still reads .96. Be careful though, once you get those out that plastic takes no time at all to drill out.:)

I bought a multimeter at RadioShack and I've got .958, so I think adjusting is pretty pointless for me.

yup, you're pretty much dead on.

Hmm, just bought a Multimeter and checked it all out.

Heres what I came up with following the instructions from page 1. It read 4.98. Im not sure what this means? I set the meter to, 20 volt DC. I think I did this correctly? Yes the key was in the on posistion.

Instructions are pretty much worthless. Can someone help Please?

Oh yeah, my TP sensor is about 6 months old.

You need to check the other wire, you are checking the always on 5V wire. You should probably set your multimeter to 1.5V or around there, closest to .96V but over not under... and check the other wire.
One is a ground, one is a 5v all the time, and one is the varying signal that should be at .96V

Originally posted by nweibley
You need to check the other wire, you are checking the always on 5V wire. You should probably set your multimeter to 1.5V or around there, closest to .96V but over not under... and check the other wire.
One is a ground, one is a 5v all the time, and one is the varying signal that should be at .96V

Thanks, but I dont have a 1.5v setting on my MultiMeter.

There are three wires running to the TP sensor. I tried all of them. One combination didnt even give me a reading.

They are grey with red line, black with white line, and grey with black line.

Originally posted by DonM
Instructions are pretty much worthless. Can someone help Please?
i honestly thought i made it clear as possible. :rolleyes:

BLACK- ground
ORANGE- 5 volts all of the time, no matter what
GREEN- feed wire (the one you need to measure)

if you're truck doesnt use the same color codes as mine, its still VERY easy. you only have two wires to check. one will have around 5 volts all of the time. this is the one you dont need to check. the other will be the feed wire, which is the one you need to tap off of. the feed wire will have somewere between .4volts to 1.something volts on it.

if you get nothing, thats the wrong wire. if you get around 5 volts, that is also the wrong wire. there is only one wire left.

Originally posted by james t
i honestly thought i made it clear as possible. :rolleyes:

BLACK- ground
ORANGE- 5 volts all of the time, no matter what
GREEN- feed wire (the one you need to measure)

if you're truck doesnt use the same color codes as mine, its still VERY easy. you only have two wires to check. one will have around 5 volts all of the time. this is the one you dont need to check. the other will be the feed wire, which is the one you need to tap off of.

Yeah, you did. Only my wires dont match those colors. ;)

Look at my last post...

Ok, I rechecked the last wire. Aparrently I didnt have the probe inserted in the wire enough.

It now read .83 on 20v DC setting. So I guess I can go ahead and do the mod? It seems to be off a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.83 isnt too bad, but id still set it around .96v.

Back