adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

What color wire on the first gens? I tapped each and the only reading I'm getting is from the middle, 1 DC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by huskyfan23
What color wire on the first gens? I tapped each and the only reading I'm getting is from the middle, 1 DC.
i have no idea.... what colors are on yours? id guess if you're seeing 1v then thats proly it.

Wire = Solid Gray. Think my multimeter rounds or what? It's a Fluke, if that matters.

Originally posted by V8BoatBuilder
Make sure to put the new cover sheets on your TPS reports! :smoke:

Lol!! Didn't you get that memo??

My idle is kinda rough, I may try this when I replace the rocker arms:cool:

Okay I just tried this out and took it for a spin about 15 minutes ago. I tell you what, the idle is a tad better but the throttle response is AMAZING! I thought I had a new vehicle! I wasen't prepared for that much better throttle response. I tested it out before I took the time to "slot" the holes and it read .45 volts or something close to that. I had my brother help me out and we got it dead on at .96 volts. It is the Gray wire in the bunch which I think is the middle one. I wonder why Ford does not make them adjustable. If I remember right my '87 Jeep Cherokee had an adjustable tps. I'm pretty sure anyways. Anywho, this was a great tip! I recomend this one for sure. Thanks for the tip James!

Doesnt sound like to many of us here recomend this tip?

Im not sure if Im willing to try this or not yet?

I think I'm gonna try this one this weekend just so we can get some more feedback as to how much this helps. I'm eager to see how far mine is off first of all. I always enjoy a little better throttle response, like when you throw an open-element air cleaner in.... it feels so good!!! :D

Ill wait till I see more feedback. Still doesnt seem as though to many here are interested in this?

So who else has done this???

i will be checking mine this week and seing what it does.

Go figure...just went and checked it, .95v.

Maybe mine's off by .4 or something, since I'm getting a reading of 1. Where did you ground it to James T? Ground wire or body? Not sure if that matters since I am getting a reading. I'll probably try this mod later today.

i ran mine to the grounding strap on the firewall.

I grounded mine to the body.

When I grounded mine to the body, I got 1.0 V reading. When I grounded to one of the other wires from TPS, I got 0.95 V. So I guess it is better to check the voltage between the wires from the sensor and NOT between the body and the wire.

very nice post james, nicley done, good walkthrough too, unfortuantley I dont trust myself to do such a thing :p but I know those who do will definatley benefit from the detailed walkthrough you made

Yeah I checked every possible location to ground it to, but no matter where I put it, it was .45 or whatever the heck it was. It was easier for my brother and me to have it on the body(the top mount that holds the radiator in place.)

Originally posted by DonM
Ill wait till I see more feedback. Still doesnt seem as though to many here are interested in this?

So who else has done this???
yea, its kinda going through the same thing as when i first mentioned the throttle cable mod back when i first joined here. no one cared, no one believed me, and i got some "you dont know what you're talking about" type emails. then another member did a write up, and it took off like gold. i guess i should have done the rightup, then emailed it to another member and had them post it. :rolleyes:

BTW, this is been on the mustang forums for years, and there are about a billion rightups for this. this is not something i just made up out of thin air.

Joey p.
In my case I got 0.95 V only between the two wires from the TPS, and if I grounded it anywhere else it read 1.0 V. I think PCM reads the signal directly from the sensor and not from the body and the wire, therefore I think you should check the voltage between the wires.
However it is possible that there would be no difference where to ckeck the voltage, but I would have ckecked that just to be sure it is correct.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah Shurup, I just checked it out right now between the wires on the TPS and it's at .96v their too. Maybe it's one of those fluke things. :D

Back