Any ideas where I could place or mount 6x9s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any ideas where I could place or mount 6x9s?

Mista808

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Couldn't pass up this really good deal I got on a set of 2 6x9 Alpines and I'm wondering where I could possibly mount or place them? I was thinking I'd just drill them on the top of the sub woofer box with the speakers on top in the back facing the front seats but was wondering if any of you have better ideas on where to place them in my 96 X since they obviously will not fit in the doors. They are already in small 6x9 boxes too.

:D

35 bucks for both when they're $139 a pair at most Audio shops I've been too around here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you mean 6x8??? if they are 6x8, they will fit in your doors.

no they are most likely 6x9s. Why would you want 6x9s? You get better sound out of a round speaker than you do an oval. 6.5s all the way.

They get pretty damn loud and sound so crisp and clean. Hooked them up to a Pioneer receiver I have at my house and they are going to sound great. Especially if I mount them at the top of the sub box ***note*** the 6x9s are in their own 6x9 speaker boxes in the back or somewhere at about head height with the passengers.

I'm no audio expert, but in my mind i could see some distortion coming from the 6x9's if they are in the same box as a set of subs. Since sound is created by the vibrations the speaker puts out, (someone help me out if i'm on the right track or just tell me i'm an idiot when this shpeel is over) the heavy low frequency vibrations from the subs might distort the little(in comparison) 6x9's since they are trying to vibrate quicker at higher frequencies. I guess it could work if you have a ported box, but i could really see alot of distortion if you have a sealed box, unless the 6x9's are sealed off from the rest of the box.

p.s. i might be a complete idiot that no one has notified me about, so i could be wrong.

mynameisaric said:
I'm no audio expert, but in my mind i could see some distortion coming from the 6x9's if they are in the same box as a set of subs. Since sound is created by the vibrations the speaker puts out, (someone help me out if i'm on the right track or just tell me i'm an idiot when this shpeel is over) the heavy low frequency vibrations from the subs might distort the little(in comparison) 6x9's since they are trying to vibrate quicker at higher frequencies. I guess it could work if you have a ported box, but i could really see alot of distortion if you have a sealed box, unless the 6x9's are sealed off from the rest of the box.

p.s. i might be a complete idiot that no one has notified me about, so i could be wrong.

I never said I was going to put them IN the box with the subs. I said MOUNT THEM on top of the sub box in the small 6x9 boxes that they are already in. My friend has his mounted in his Ex the way I'll probably mount mine and the bass doesn't effect his 6x9s so I should be good :thumbsup:

ooooooooooooooooooooooo.... ok. well then, that changes everything. Then that should obviously have no problems. good luck. let us know how it sounds.

I think I'll end up doing a 6 speaker system. The 6x9s in the back facing the passengers mounted on the subwoofer box, then 4 speakers in the doors (6x8s right?) and then the 15 inch L7 Kicker powered by Kickers 1200.1 amp. I think it'll all sound really good.

Kickers are a great SPL sub, but the square ones lack in the clarity department.

conig said:
Kickers are a great SPL sub, but the square ones lack in the clarity department.

well if only I could kill 15 birds with 2 stones. I don't know what to say to your comment other than: "okay... well um... hopefully it sounds good cause that's what I have" :D
I'll love the low end on the 15 though - I'm a hip hop/rap producer so I cant wait to hop in the truck with my own songs on. :eek:

Well you could actually bring some clarity from the L7 if you built a box yourself designed to do that for the L7.

I hope you enjoy your system although I can see quite a few things wrong with it but to each his own.

BTW, your door speakers are 5x7. Getting some adapter plates to throw some 5.25s with a tweeter(Component set) or some 6.5s(Coaxials)

im installing a set of 6x9's in the back as well, i think im gonna get a custom box for the 2 12's and the 2 6x9's, the 2 12's should face the back of the car and the 2 6x9's should face the front/up at a 45 degree angle or something close to that

ok im gonna ilustrate my words.....

746039_55.jpg

746039_56.jpg

i'm pretty sure the door speakers are 6x8, maybe they are different in 1st gen trucks, but i KNOW i put in 6x8 pioneers, and they went in without a problem.

The 1st gens are 5x7 which is the same thing as a 6x8(just a tad bit bigger). They are decent speakers(I don't kare what brand) but they do not have the clarity of a traditional round 5.25 or 6.5 speaker.

door speakers in a first gen are 6x8 stock, but you can put in a 5x7 with no modification or a 6x9 with a little cutting.

^^^ no. They are 5x7s. All install catalogs call for a 5x7 speaker and even ford calls for a 5x7 speaker.

i remember installing 6X9's on my old 94 explorer, i had to cut metal but they did fit, and it sounded pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea you came up with Fex. That's similar to how I plan to do it but I'll have the 6x9 boxes bolted down on the top of the box. The speakers will still face forward like yours just not up and forward towards the roof of the vehicle like yours. I plan to have them both slightly facing towards the front windows. The one will face my driver window (from the back obviously) and the other will face the passenger window.

Back