Anyody ever heard of Rear DIf. Seizing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyody ever heard of Rear DIf. Seizing?

MonaLeMoo

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Sport
Okay....you ll know my whole dilemna..about the damn CLUNK I get when braking. Anyways a friend of mine works at at oil change shop, and he told me to bring it in and he'd check all my fluids.

SO the tranny shop said I needed a new rear and a new transfer case.

The oil change place..checked all my fluids and he said the transfer case and the trany fluid were both good! Thank God! SO the tranny shop lied about the transfer case. :) That's good!

But he said the front diff. was gross and needed to be changed. No big deal..he said there was no metal filing...to that's good. Now the REAR..he c ouldnt even get the screw out!!!! He said it was seized!!!

Now..the chances are it either has NO fluid...or it hasnt been changed in a long time. Right??????

Where do I go from here????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the slip yoke before anything else:D

Nobody wants to grease the damn slip Yoke!!! :( Im still concered about the rear diff though..obviously! I cant even get it serviced.

If your rear diffy was out of fluid your rear end would have went out by now.

Originally posted by MonaLeMoo
Nobody wants to grease the damn slip Yoke!!! :( Im still concered about the rear diff though..obviously! I cant even get it serviced.

Do it yourself. It ain't difficult.

If I went to an oil change place..could they grease it????

Okay so its probably not out of fluid???

Mine was stripped and we had to weld a bolt to it. Try soaking it with some anti seize stuff. I'm sure you can remove the plug if you mess with it enough.

If I went to an oil change place..could they grease it????They might be able to do it.Only one side of the driveshaft has to be dropped to grease it
:D

Is the seized plug any type of indication of what is wrong though???

Is the seized plug any type of indication of what is wrong though???
There is probally nothing wrong,its just probally never been changed:)

You can find a good honest mechanic to grease the slip yoke...and it shouldn't cost more than US $50 I wouldn't think. All you do is un-do 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps, it's very simple.. If I were in BC, I would do it for you in like 30 minutes tops for free.

Awww..that's sweet! Thanks :) Okay Ill try n get my mechanic to do it for me :)

All the siezed plug means is that your mechanic basically can't get the cap off the differential to see what the fluid looks like. The plug just fills the hole in the case so the fluid doesn't spill out or get contaminated when you are driving it. It has absolutely no bearing on the condition of the differential. As said above, if you were out of fluid and the rear end had siezed up, the truck wouldn't move.

Okay....and when they check it..if it has metal filings in the rear diff. Fluid..then the rear is gone..and it needs replacing right?

the front end had none..but was black just from wear n tear! :)

If there is a little metal in there I wouldn't replace the whole rear, just clean it out, replace the oil and drive it. If there are missing teeth then I would replace it.

Okay..and how much does that cost approx??

I got an estimate of 4000$ from the people that said my transfer case was bad too ( and its not)...so I doubt they were right.

Okay..and how much does that cost approx??

I got an estimate of 4000$ from the people that said my transfer case was bad too ( and its not)...so I doubt they were right.
Wow:eek:

Yeah..same people that charged me 3 Grand..to rebuild my old Tranny...last June. IDIOTS is what I have to say.

Thought the tranny was causing the Clunk...and turns out they say its the transfer case and rear diferential! I didnt beieve them..nd took it to 2 other mechanics. Turns out my transfer case is GOOD :)

So I just wanted to service my front and rear dif. and the bolt has seized. Just wondering WORST case scenario I guess..in case I do hafta replace the rear.

If the fluid has never been changed, chances are it will have some shavings and gunk in it, especially from the break in when it was new. In most cases, this is not cause for alarm. Just clean out the shavings, and put in new fluid. Instead of using RTV to make a seal for the differential cover, I highly recommend spending the $2 for an acutal gasket. ;) It will save you headaches down the road, especially if the RTV isn't applied correctly. If you have a limited slip rear, you will need to add about 4 ounces of friction modifier to the gear oil.

Given the fact your Explorer is a street vehicle, with a stock drivetrain, I find it very hard to believe you could have broken a tooth on one of the gears. If you did, you would know it, because the differential would be toast by now and the truck would not move at all. Get the slip yoke greased, and diferential oil changed, and you should be good to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You think so? Yayy! This is good news!

I've NEVER had it off road...and the previous owner was an old man! He leased it, and also never had it off road either. Okay I'll try those..and get back to you all.

I'm paying about 50 bucks to do the front and rear dif. oil switch....and not sure about the slip yoke yet. Sound prety standard?

Back