Anyody ever heard of Rear DIf. Seizing? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyody ever heard of Rear DIf. Seizing?

50 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps the guy didn't have an impact wrench? :D It is my new favorite toy! If he really really cant get it out, a strong impact wrench is always an option!

As mentioned above, you will probably have some metal shavings in the diff fluid. This is normal. It's highly unlikely that your differentials are messed up.

As for $4k to change the rear, they are out to lunch!!!!! Whatta bunch of rip off artists!!! I sold a perfectly good Explorer rear axle complete for $150 US. That included the gears, axle and brakes. It takes about 2 hours to install a complete rear axle assembly if you know what you are doing, so if the rear differential was actually bad, you can get a used one from the junkyard, and have it installed for under $500 total.

THEY ARE TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you feel you need to, change the fluids like you mentioned, get the slip joint lubed, and you will be fine. I had a '92 Explorer before I bought my new one, and I had never changed the axle or transfer case fluids, and they were fine when the truck got totalled at 105,000 miles. I had offroaded it and I drive my vehicles hard.

hey i have a GOOD rear Diff off a 93 sport if you decide to change it we can come up with a way to get it to you and installed for less than a couple hundred... hell ill give you the entire axel if it comes down to it..... Dooo not pay them that kind of money.... I m sure there are a few people here from BC that would help install it..

Gary

Wow...200 bucks shipped andeverything?! I have a really good mechanic...(NOT The tranny place).

You guys are the BEST! :) I called and left a message with my mechanic to see how much a fluid switch etc would be. Worst case scenario..if the rear dif needs to be replaced..I will more than likely purchase this off you.

How would we get it shipped to me???? You guys probably know how to do all this! :)

I kind of noticed a whirring sound now...when I break. Like a "whirrrrrr"...for a few seconds...and then it stops. Its only when I come to a stop though.

I totally hate bothering you all with these problems...but I am trying to get this tranny shop. IF the rear is good...I am definitely going to write a letter to the paper about this shop.

i am hopeing that someelse chimes in but i belive that the diff is the same for 93 and 95 i could get it shipped no prob..

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing :) :) :) 95 is the newer style body..if that means anything,

if i remember correctly they only changed the front not the back. i know the axals are both 8.8's.

SO Smart! :)

What would I do withyout you guys?! :)

Any idea what the whirring sound is? It goes "Clunk" then "whirrrrrrr" The whirring sound is coming from the front...

So "CLUNK" from front to back...then "Whirrrrrr" from the front :)

Back