Audio Installation Help 1996 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audio Installation Help 1996

Jacob Cruz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT Explorer
I've recently bought 2 memphis 12s with a 3000 Watt Amp. What do I need in terms of wire gauge and alternator size? I've been told that I need a bigger alternator. Would it be necessary if I go two capacitors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the RMS of the amp, and not the peak power?

Some manufacturers inflate their specs...

What is the RMS of the amp, and not the peak power?

Some manufacturers inflate their specs...

Here is the rms for the amp at different ohms

3000 W MAX Power 1 Channel
2250 W X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm
1125 W X 1 RMS @ 2 ohm
563 W X 1 RMS @ 4 ohm

Here is the speaker type
2 Memphis Power Reference 12s DVC 4 ohm.

this is car audio 101. Highly recommend you do some reading to figure out what you need. Luckily, the site linked below is a one stop shop for all of this knowledge.

http://www.bcae1.com/

unless its an ultra super capacitor bank you can run 40 of them and you will not gain anything except more stress on your stock electrical .... what amp are you going to use and is it CEA compliant, that 2250 might end up being closer to 500rms and CEA is only done for 4 ohm loads so the 2 and 1 ohm is still up in the air

What is the brand of the amp?

planet audio and boss amps are very over rated specs.... the last 5k they made did around 400rms.... you will not need any upgraded electrical because the amp is garbage sorry

What's the model? Are you planning on possibly upgrading it in the future? If you aren't planning on possible upgrades, or running other accessories in the rear, 4AWG should be fine. Fuse it close to the battery.

Doing the big 4 upgrade will help.

It's a ground wire right off the Alt.

With the amount of amps you will be drawing, I wouldn't worry about upgrading any of the stock wiring.

Back