• Register Today It's free!

Auto Headlights

Matt t

Reaction score
City, State
coventry, ri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT & 2005 EB
I have a 2010 Explorer XLT that did not come with Auto headlights. When I use the fob to open the doors in the dark the fog lights come on so I believe it has a day/night sensor. My question is can I replace the light switch with an Auto switch and have Auto headlights? The next question is how to get at the headlight switch.

Thanks.
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been trying to track down info on this. Also, as with my 2006 lights without the auto feature, they probably come on in the day, but you can't see them. At least mine do.

I haven't found the exact location of the dusk sensor to see if it is there or not, most people seem to incorrectly identify the compass on the rearview as the sensor. It may be there, but I haven't seen definitive proof. In my 08 Edge, it was on dash in the security indicator with the blinking light.

I would love if someone could definitively point it out, and if anyone has the info of what's needed to add for this feature (if the sensor exists, is it just a switch replacement, if it doesn't exist on non-automatic headlight equipped models, what basic parts are needed to accomplish this)

It's the one feature I definitely miss from my Edge -- I haven't manually turned headlights on and off in my last 3 vehicles and I guess I've gotten lazy.

If anyone wants to chime in, I'm sure it will help both of us.. I imagine with the extra wiring that seems to be in these trucks, it wouldn't be a huge hassle to get the factory pieces and get it done. I saw from searching that a few people were looking into attempting it, perhaps they accomplished it and could help, or found it too involved and abandoned their search?

The sensor in my 07 was the blinking security light. If I covered it, the lights would stay on all the time.

Just confirmed that to be the sensor on my wife's 09 Fusion. So it looks like we're somewhere.. I'm hitting a you-pull-it junkyard this weekend for some other stuff, if I can find one I'll grab the switch with the automatic option and see if it works with a simple swap, unless someone else chimes in with a better answer in the mean time..

I bet it is the blinking red thing on the dash. Not sure if the switch will change it up but I bet it will
STU

for this price you just may want to look into this.

That's an option.

However, if the dusk sensor is in place, the switch itself is $3-$6 from a junkyard, and I've seen them as low as $22 in a few quick google searches.

I'd believe if it's just a switch replacement, the product you link to would be the hard way around it. Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind.

No luck on a switch at the junkyard i was at yesterday. Have a trip planned to a different one for some stuff, so I'll still be looking.

Usually if you dont have the option now that sensor is just for the pats system (blinking light). you would also need to program the SJB at a dealership to turn the option on (some may get you fro a few hours of labor, and some dont even know how to do it).

Hate to bring back an old post, but I just noticed that when I use the key fob at night to unlock my doors the lights come on, and during the day they do not. this led me to believe that there is indeed a light sensor in the dash with the PATS light, so I got a cheap stock auto headlight switch on ebay and installed it. now the funny thing is... the auto headlights DO work now... sometimes. it's the strangest thing, they automatically sometimes and I have to manually turn them on other times. I am thinking there may be something I can reset or something and it may work, or I'll have to bring it to the dealer and have it programmed. There is some sort of lighting control module under the drivers side dash that I hear clicking when I use the light switch, maybe I can reset that or something... I am going to have to do that anyway after adding the steering wheel audio controls. Any input? Thanks!

I have a 2010 Explorer XLT that did not come with Auto headlights. When I use the fob to open the doors in the dark the fog lights come on so I believe it has a day/night sensor. My question is can I replace the light switch with an Auto switch and have Auto headlights? The next question is how to get at the headlight switch.

Thanks.
Matt

goto the dealership and have them reprogram it to day time running lamps.

the lights that light up, is part of a curtest so you know where the car is, and its light up around you.

Back