Help with Auto Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Auto Headlights

Royals1969

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
I just picked up a 2007 Explorer XLT. The SUV has DRL's and they work fine. But it does not have the auto headlight selection on the headlight switch, and I want the auto-headlight feature as I had it on my last SUV. Anyway, i thought i read on this forum that I can just purchase the correct headlight switch with the auto-headlight option and they should work because i have the daytime running lights feature turned on. Well i purchased the switch off fleabay and no-luck with the auto-headlights. anyone have ideas what else is needed?
Royals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a 2007 Explorer XLT. The SUV has DRL's and they work fine. But it does not have the auto headlight selection on the headlight switch, and I want the auto-headlight feature as I had it on my last SUV. Anyway, i thought i read on this forum that I can just purchase the correct headlight switch with the auto-headlight option and they should work because i have the daytime running lights feature turned on. Well i purchased the switch off fleabay and no-luck with the auto-headlights. anyone have ideas what else is needed?
Royals

You will need to make sure you have a sunload sensor in the vehicle and that it is wired to the correct connection point, if not you can buy the sensor for about 40 dollars and a pigtail kit direct from Ford too, not difficult to hook up.

You will need to make sure you have a sunload sensor in the vehicle and that it is wired to the correct connection point, if not you can buy the sensor for about 40 dollars and a pigtail kit direct from Ford too, not difficult to hook up.

How do i know if I have the sunload sensor?? I have a blinking red light on the dashboard, is that it?

How do i know if I have the sunload sensor?? I have a blinking red light on the dashboard, is that it?

Hard to tell without seeing it, the flashing red light may just be the theft deterrent system, I know they are sometimes the same, I will try and find a picture of the sensor, since I believe Ford has been using the same part in all their vehicles for several years now.

Ok, so looked at Ford Parts, that looks like it is also the sunload sensor, but I am guessing since it didn't come equipped with auto headlamps it may not be wired the same way or..it may be a dealer reprogram. Could not say without seeing the factory wiring diagram for your model/trim vehicle

so, drl == always on, and you put an auto switch to auto turn them on.....

you can have drl programed off using a dealer tool.

i dont get how you want auto headlights to work with drl's enabled.....

so, drl == always on, and you put an auto switch to auto turn them on.....

you can have drl programed off using a dealer tool.

i dont get how you want auto headlights to work with drl's enabled.....

The dashboard lights would be part of the auto-on feature which the are not with the DRL's...Also the DRL's are not full power to the headlights, so at night time they are not bright enough in addition to needing the dashboard lights

The dashboard lights would be part of the auto-on feature which the are not with the DRL's...Also the DRL's are not full power to the headlights, so at night time they are not bright enough in addition to needing the dashboard lights

one wont work with the other on.

i know you can turn drl on and off, at a dealership its a ids personal programmable setting.

the auto part would be tricky since the sjb would need to be configured for auto lights, and techs even in a dealership cant alter the as build data or even know how to read it.... ford wont let techs change past what it came with options.

the other thing is, is the switch actually wired for auto lamps..... connector side.

edit:

i know on old explorers gen 3 headlights switches when swapped around caused problems. havent seen a 4th gen with the wrong switch.

one wont work with the other on.

i know you can turn drl on and off, at a dealership its a ids personal programmable setting.

the auto part would be tricky since the sjb would need to be configured for auto lights, and techs even in a dealership cant alter the as build data or even know how to read it.... ford wont let techs change past what it came with options.

the other thing is, is the switch actually wired for auto lamps..... connector side.

edit:

i know on old explorers gen 3 headlights switches when swapped around caused problems. havent seen a 4th gen with the wrong switch.

So if the car has the DRL programmed on, then the auto-headlights wont work?
And yes the switch i bought from ebay is wired for the auto headlight feature? I thought this was going to be an easy upgrade..LOL

So if the car has the DRL programmed on, then the auto-headlights wont work?
And yes the switch i bought from ebay is wired for the auto headlight feature? I thought this was going to be an easy upgrade..LOL

theres 3 switches that i know of.

switch with pull for fog lights, no auto lights

switch with no fog lights, no auto lights

switch with auto lights and fog lights.

the other side of the car, does the dash harness have the wire for auto lights.
thats the question not the switch.

drl has to be programed off i think for auto to work. i dont have my ids in my house to turn drl on to test this, but its a separate system how they work. i think its in how the sjb is programed if auto works or not.

drl has to be programed off i think for auto to work. i dont have my ids in my house to turn drl on to test this, but its a separate system how they work. i think its in how the sjb is programed if auto works or not.

Well maybe there is another switch type? or else this switch is not for a 2006-07 explorer?
my original switch was "switch with pull for fog lights, no auto lights"
the switch i got from ebay is ""switch with pull for fog lights, with auto lights".
what do you think?

That's not quite correct. We had DRL programmed on and the autolamp feature still works as before. The DRL feature just keeps the lights on regardless of the position of the headlight switch when the vehicle is in Drive. In the off position or during the day in Autolamp position the headlights are at 80% and no other lights (dash, tail) are on.

=Vic=

That's not quite correct. We had DRL programmed on and the autolamp feature still works as before. The DRL feature just keeps the lights on regardless of the position of the headlight switch when the vehicle is in Drive. In the off position or during the day in Autolamp position the headlights are at 80% and no other lights (dash, tail) are on.

=Vic=

Thank-You, this makes more sense as my previous SUV had both DRL's and Auto-Headlights and they function fine together. So I still not sure why they are not working, perhaps i can dis-connect the battery for 20 minutes and let everything reset, maybe that will do the trick? Anyone else care to chime in please?
Royals

there is no reset the sjb is hard programed using ids and build data for each vehicle.

I know it's not an explorer but on my 09 F150 all I had to do was add the sun load sensor and switch and I had auto lamps. The SJB's are all the same in F150 land.

I know it's not an explorer but on my 09 F150 all I had to do was add the sun load sensor and switch and I had auto lamps. The SJB's are all the same in F150 land.

how much did the sun load sensor cost? Dealer ? Aftermarket?
Royals

how much did the sun load sensor cost? Dealer ? Aftermarket?
Royals

I don't really rememeber. It was from the dealer so it wasn't cheap. I think it was like 30 dollars.

Sorry to bring back an old post, but was your dealer able to turn on your auto headlight option? I have installed the proper switch and already had the sensor. I am looking to so the same. Thanks

Back