How easy is it to fit auto headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How easy is it to fit auto headlights?

mycaptainchris

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac XLT V8
Is it an easy fix to have auto headlights or even have the lights just stay on whenever the ignition is on?

I miss the auto headlights from my last car but do like the safety of having lights on during the day, especially on hot Texas days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I'm at it, what about fitting the climate control from the limited? Is it a simple swap on controls?

I have the auto headlights and I think it is just the switch. Would be courious to hear about the Climate controls although I know that requires replacing the upper center console plastic.

If its just the daytime running lights you are after, look around to different dealers or search online. I thinks its just a matter of programming the SJB (smart junction box) for this feature. In Canada its law to have them, besides that the vehicles are the exact same. Daytime runnings lights dont run th lights at full low beam power. If this cant be programmed you could also look into hooking up a relay to the low beam wires and to the ignition so when the car is on just the headlights will be on (no parking lights).

As for the "auto" headlights thats all the switch will be able to give you. However there is more to it than just a switch. there is also the photosensor (what picks up how dark out it is). And then you would have to figure out how to wire it in.

Or you could look into these, its an aftermarket auto headlamp kit.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17931_Directed+545T.html?gclid=CJblgpXQtZ4CFZho5QodpVcFsA

Now that I like!!!! but I wonder how involved the fitting is?

Back