Belt sqeaking on 2000 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt sqeaking on 2000 5.0

Thanks dude. I was gonna call just now. Where would I get the pulley? If I knew it was the power steering pump I would let the dealer do it because they use Motorcraft parts (and it looks like a messy job with the fluid). However, if it is just the pulley I don't want to spend the $100. Perhaps I can get it from the dealer parts department? I'll also check rockauto.com to see what they have.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I hate to say it but you're barking up the wrong tree by changing the pulley. If the pulley were damaged, it COULD cause a bit of a squeak as the belt passed over it, but not what has been described here. And the grinding metal sounds? :confused: Sure, the pulley could cause it if it were rubbing against something. But think! WHY would it be rubbing against something? Either the pulley is bent OR whatever supports the pulley is failing. And that is the bearing which is part of the pump.

I can guarantee that you WILL end up replacing the pump. And probably using the same old pulley!

Looks like I'm off to the dealer. I'm having a hard time locating the pulley anyway.

My 99 LT 5.0 just started having the same sound. I believe it is the idler pulley, which is the pulley 6 inches to the left of the power steering pulley. How you described it is EXACTLY how I would describe my noice. I'm off to Autozone for idler pulley and new belt.

My truck was also bird chirping. So, I:
1) changed the serp. belt. No change. Still chirps.

I must have a noisy pulley or the tensioner is going. When I spinned the tensioner, it didn't chirp, but I could hear the bearings rolling around. Does that mean the tensioner is bad?

stevedud said:
My 99 LT 5.0 just started having the same sound. I believe it is the idler pulley, which is the pulley 6 inches to the left of the power steering pulley. How you described it is EXACTLY how I would describe my noice. I'm off to Autozone for idler pulley and new belt.

Let me know how that works out - if I can avoid a trip to the dealer I'll do it. How did you determine it was from there? Mine really sounds like the power steering pulley but I could be wrong.

I had sqeak too

Hello,
We had a sqeak too. I replaced the belt without helping a thing. The Goodyear store noticed that the belt back was shiney, and then noticed that the idler pulley was not running true. The sqeaks were coming because the belt was chattering on the pulley from sideways sliding. This is hard to describe in words. Anyhow, my pulley looked just as your does - paint missing or shiney. They replaced the pulley, and it runs perfectly true - no wobble. And no more noise.

Just a thought.

Ron N.

spta97 said:
Let me know how that works out - if I can avoid a trip to the dealer I'll do it. How did you determine it was from there? Mine really sounds like the power steering pulley but I could be wrong.

'99 XLT EB 5.0

I just listened to where it was and got lucky I guess. I used a long screwdriver and put the end on the pulley brackets and my ear on the handle. Did the same with the steering pulley.

Isn't the steering pulley ribbed? I wouldn't think it would chirp. it can't slip. If it was bad it would more like grind.

I changed the idler pulley (the one on top, right in the middle) and noise has gone away. To be sure I'll have to wait for a rainy day. Easy job, I suggest you give it a try, only $20 for the pulley.

All it takes is a 15mm ratchet and maybe a half hour. Not very hard to lossen the bolt either.

1. go under the car and release the belt tension with the tensioner, turning the ratchet clockwise but read the sticker on the grill for the direction of yours. Have someone slide the belt off the idler pulley. When you turn your ratchet, what you are doing is moving the tensioner to release the tension. You won't be lossening the bolt. The easiest way to get to it is from underneath. The irst pulley you'll see under there is a ribbed one, that's not it, that's another idler pulley. Just above that is the tensioner. It has a smooth pulley on it.

2. remove the bolt from the idler pulley up top and replace.

3. If you want to change the belt, snake it around but leave it off the idler pulley.

4. Go under car, released the belt tension and have someone above slide the belt under the idler pulley.

5. That's it.

Notes: There are 2 idler pulley's. The one up top that I replaced (smooth) and one down by the tensioner (ribbed). It also looked like the pulley on the tensioner is the same as the smooth idler pulley.

I checked mine again and it sounded like it was coming from the power steering pulley. It doesn't sound like belt slippage but rather the pulley it's self (like it is out of round or bearing are bad. The problem is it only happens when it is raining / humid so I've got to wait for weather to troubleshoot.

After looking at the proceedure for the power steering pump replacement I made an appointment with the dealer for Thursday. Problem is, I'm afraid that if it is not raining they will say it's fine and charge me a diagnostic fee. The first time I went through this it was the tensioner. I don't get what mosisture has to do with the belt - I've never had this happen on another car before.

Arrg. :mad:

You will never ID the bad part for sure unless you get the mechanic's stethiscope. I used the long screwdriver method and swore that it was my alternator going bad. A friend loaned me his 'scope and there was NO question that it was the lower left hand idler pulley (facing the engine). Saved mucho dollars!!

You can buy a stethoscope at autozone - $10

BuffaloXplorer said:
You can buy a stethoscope at autozone - $10

They also have one available at Pep Boys and Advance Auto for about $15.

Wife's 5.0 started the same squeak as you describe ..... did Ford design them to have a fail on date ?

I replaced the tensioner and the upper idler pulley . Did not know the lower idler was there till I replaced the parts . Spent about a hour total with swapping the parts . I replaced the tnesioner first and ran it to see if the squeak stopped . Did not stop so I took the new belt loose and installed the tensioner . I know , dumb ... but I wanted to see what was squeaking . I replaced her pass side header today and was running the engine and head a slight chirp from down low so I guess the lower idler is next .
BTW , ALL of the idlers and the tensioners bearings sounded like dirt and metal was floating in them , so Im not surprised the lower one is making noises .
The loud squeak is gone though . I got it from a local mom and pops type parts store for $37 for the tensioner and $11 for the idler . I believe both are made by Gates but I cannot remember for sure .

Lemondrop said:
Wife's 5.0 started the same squeak as you describe ..... did Ford design them to have a fail on date ?

Sure SEEMS that way...

You can usually tell a bad tensioner by looking at the pivot point (not the pulley). If the tensioner isn't at a true 90deg angle from the mounting point, and you can see more of one end of the tensioner mount than the other, it's likely bad. The mount that holds the tensioner arm to the springythingy goes bad after a while and loosens up, letting the tensioner wobble back and forth, creating a high-pitched/speed chirping. If it's bad enough, you'll be able to see it in action (wobble) when the engine is running.

If it is indeed the tensioner, a "quick-fix" that worked for me (in no way a fix, more of a noise reducer) would be to spray the mounting point of the tensioner with white lithium grease (try not to spray the belt). The sound will usually go away for a bit. Obviously change it sooner rather than later, b/c i bet you'd rather do it at home, in your garage, than having a mechanic charge you $75/hr to do it after being towed off the highway.

Using stethoscopes to find the source of a belt chirp is nice sometimes, but it won't work if your chirp only occurs at speed and when the truck is cold. Sometimes, the chirp can't even be reproduced by pulling the throttle body butterfly to rev the engine.

Timing is everything!

rollinstone said:
You will never ID the bad part for sure unless you get the mechanic's stethiscope. I used the long screwdriver method and swore that it was my alternator going bad. A friend loaned me his 'scope and there was NO question that it was the lower left hand idler pulley (facing the engine). Saved mucho dollars!!

How do I do that without loosing my fingers?

BuffaloXplorer said:
Timing is everything!

If that's the case mine was way off today!

Since it was supposed to be cold all week I cancelled my Thursday appointment I had at the dealer on Wednesday night. I got home late last night and it was snowing. Sure enough the squeak was back! Then I looked at my thermometer in my room and it was reading 42% humidity outside which I figured was enough to cause the squeak.

I got in the X this moring and drove to the train station. Sure enough it squeaked the whole way. I sat in the truck for about 15 mintues deciding whether or not to go to the dealer and be 1 1/2 late for work. I finally decided to high-tail it over there. They had the X all day and were not able to reproduce the sqeak! :mad: When I dropped it off I told them to spray some water in the general area but he said that he could get any belt to sqeak by doing that.

I did get the oil changed there and there was no diagnostic fee (which was good because I was about ready to punch someone) so it wasn't a total wasted trip. I'm gonna go to AutoZone and pick up the stethescope and idlers and tackle this thing myself. I'm so dissapointed with Ford and the dealer for a bad product and lack of trying.

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, try removing the belt, and spinning all of the pulleys by hand. Usually bad bearings can be felt.

The power steering pulley is a never replace part. It has no bearings. The bearings are in the pump. A lot of the aftermarket power steering pumps will take more effort to turn the wheel. Try to use Ford pumps. Good luck,
DonW

Back